PDA

View Full Version : Tune skewers - any feedback?

weiwentg
09-09-2005, 09:17 AM
on this kind of forum, someone's bound to have used Tune's super chi-chi skewers. any feedback? also considering Bold Precision - I have a 2nd-hand Bold seatpost - but Tune is a bit more rare.

Jeremy
09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Tune Skewers are nice. They use an internal cam like a Campy or Shimano skewer. Most other lightweight skewers use an external cam which seems to have more friction and provide less clamping force to effort. I use the AC16+17 skewers because they are ti front and rear. The AC14 road skewers have an alloy shaft for the front which scares me a little. The AC16+17 MTB skewers can easily be trimmed on the rear for road spacing. The ti skewer (MTB) set weighs approximately 53g for a pair. The ti/alloy (road) set weighs approximately 49g for the pair. I don't think the 4g is worth having an alloy shaft up front. They also have an idiosyncracy that some may find disconcerting. The lever arm does not have a stop built into it. It can rotate a full 360 degrees. I have not found this to be a problem at all, but it is different from any other skewer that I have used.

Jeremy

Climb01742
09-09-2005, 10:08 AM
the 360 rotation is disconcerting. they work fine, just disconcerting, and for something as inconsequential as skewers, why? zipp skewers are quite nice. another pair of tune skewers aren't in my future.

zap
09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
No experience with either, but check out USE twist skewers. Ti version is quite light at 54-55 g.

Whats nice is that when you unscrew the skewer, the spring holds the nut in place long enough so that you can slip the front wheel past the lawyer tabs. Quicker than conventional skewers.

bike_it
09-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I have a pair I am using on my Parlee. They weigh in at 49 grams/pair. Light to the touch or feel. Positive cam lever closing. They come in colors, but mine is silver and purchased from Hi-Tech Bikes out of San Diego. Expensive and a great weight weenie item.

They hold the rear wheel secure without any amount of sliding that can place your wheel out of alignment. The end caps have knurling cut into the alloy for goog grip when adjusting for the right amount of pressure. The levers are long enough to get a good grip when opening. Freakishly light! Used for over 600 miles now. Recommend.

erty65
09-10-2005, 05:45 AM
I´ve got a set of AC14, have ridden them for about 6500 miles, no problem.

Kevin
09-10-2005, 06:34 AM
I have used Bold Precision skewers for a couple of years. They are very light and come in colors. I have not had a single problem with them.

Kevin