PDA

View Full Version : NYT on bike bling in Silicon Valley

mvrider
05-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks to Ari for posting an article about wealth and spending in Silicon Valley in light of the Facebook IPO. A deeper search revealed a parallel article (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/silicon-valley-bike-scene-cycling/) more focused on the cycling phenomenon here.

Me, I don't talk about Java with my friends when cycling, but the article and video do highlight the density of cyclists here, in particular that intersection of Woodside Rd and Canada Rd in Woodside. I can't afford to live there, but we can certainly afford to bike there, and to enjoy the pastries from the Woodside Bakery, where all those bikes are parked.

A definite thumbs up for Velotech, though. It's a two-man show, with a limited selection of bikes and gear, but what they have is top notch. Mark does the fittings and runs the front, while Tom (the unheard big guy in the video) does a fine job wrenching, and is full of funny stories when prompted. They can deliver as blingy a bike as you want, but are very approachable and down-to-earth at the same time.