PDA

View Full Version : Almanzo 100, anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Dave Wages
05-18-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been hearing about the Almanzo 100 http://http://almanzo100.com/ for the last few years, so this year I sent in my postcard entry in January and then started riding as much as possible to get ready. Still not sure if I'm ready, but I guess I know by tomorrow afternoon!

Any other Paceline folks going to be there? I'll be sporting my Ellis kit (obviously), feel free to say hi.

Cheers,
Dave

p.s. I'll try to take some pics and post a ride report afterwards.

thwart
05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Looks like a great ride.

We'll be close-by... just across the border.

Arcadia's Brute challenge:

Dave Wages
05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Ya know, I really wanted to do that ride too, but unfortunately it's the same weekend. Maybe I'll see you at the Dairyland Dare later this summer?

Cheers,
Dave

thwart
05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Maybe I'll see you at the Dairyland Dare later this summer?

The last leg of the Triple Crown. I'll be there...

Good luck tomorrow!

buldogge
05-18-2012, 12:07 PM
I am supposed to be there...but time/travel constraints and my lack of "training" have conspired against me. I may still try to make "the Heck of the North" later this year.

-Mark in St. Louis

Dave Wages
05-18-2012, 05:28 PM
The last leg of the Triple Crown. I'll be there...

Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks, right back at ya!

zmudshark
05-18-2012, 05:31 PM
thwart, that looks like a killer ride. I've been getting miles in, but that looks like it would hurt, bad.

I guess you are still, and probably forever, too fast for me.

thwart
05-18-2012, 05:37 PM
thwart, that looks like a killer ride. I've been getting miles in, but that looks like it would hurt, bad.

I guess you are still, and probably forever, too fast for me.

Too fast for you?

Not.

But this may indeed be killer tomorrow. Hottest day of the year is predicted, mid to high '80's. Which for mid-May in the North Woods is... well, kinda warm.

zmudshark
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Too fast for you?

Not.

But this may indeed be killer tomorrow. Hottest day of the year is predicted, mid to high '80's. Which for mid-May in the North Woods is... well, kinda warm.

I did 35 miles and 3000' yesterday, it was windy for AZ. Thankfully it was only in the upper 90's. My profile looks easier than yours. What are those grades? (too lazy to dl the files)

It hurt. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked at Strava, but not impressed, by a long shot.

thwart
05-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Grades... ? Most are only 10-15% in the steepest ramps. But unlike most of the climbs around here, some stay close to 10% for a mile or so.

35 miles/3000 ft is no easy ride, especially for old folks like yourself. ;)

zmudshark
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I find that looking at results by age group is more satisfying than overall results. Only 4 more years to the 65 and older group. I am so going to own those old farts ;)

oliver1850
05-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Dave and Tom: how about reports on how your rides went?

100 miles of gravel sounds like 2 days worth to me, same with 5500' of climbing.

67-59
05-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Any of you doing the Lac Plein at the Tour de Pepin (http://www.lakecity.org/tourdepepin/) on June 2? Good chance I'll be there.

paulh
05-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Any of you doing the Lac Plein at the Tour de Pepin (http://www.lakecity.org/tourdepepin/) on June 2? Good chance I'll be there.

Nice route, but they do it the wrong way. If you're riding around Lake Pepin, it should be done clockwise. Then, on the best side(Wisconsin), the lake is on your right.

thwart
05-21-2012, 08:09 AM

100 miles of gravel sounds like 2 days worth to me, same with 5500' of climbing.
Well... the gpx file the folks at the Arcadia's Brute ride posted online was a little conservative... probably didn't want to scare people away. The first major climb contained a section a little over a kilometer long with an average grade of 13%, and things got more challenging after that. The 90 degree heat and 15 mph wind (gusts to 30) just added to the experience.

Glad I'm done. It was indeed a Brute.

Dave Wages
05-21-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm hesitant to label anything "epic", it's so overused that it seems some folks manage to have an epic going to the grocery store or the mall, but I would call my personal experience at the Alamanzo as epic. 100 miles of gravel and hills (I believe we had 7000ft+ of climbing) would have been plenty of challenge without the unseasonably warm temps in the low 90's and southerly winds in the 25-35mph range. We knocked off the first 30 miles in about 1.5 hours, but that was mainly heading north, so once we turned into the headwinds, things slowed down pretty considerably. We were all searching for someone to draft behind, and basically crawling along at 10mph or less on the open sections into the wind. From the 65 mile mark on, I was pretty much in survival mode, along with plenty of other folks. I would stop periodically and folks would leapfrog me, and then I'd see them a little ways down the road stopped later on. We finally got a decent tailwind at about 80 miles or so, but then there were two significant climbs from 90-97 miles (walking...) and finally the last 2 miles on pavement into the headwind again.

I don't know what the fastest time for this year was, but it took me 9.5 hours, and I can't remember ever doing any ride harder than this... Oh, there was also a 162 mile route, my hats off to anyone who completed that!

That said, it was a beautiful area, and I'd love to visit again and do some smaller chunks of the course so maybe I could look around and enjoy the scenery a bit more. Thanks to Chris Skogen for putting the event on, and all the volunteers who help out and keep it a completely free (no $$'s) ride. Also, this is an unsupported ride, but with the warm temps, it would have been hard to carry enough liquid for the whole 100 miles, there were a few kind folks along the way who pulled out a hose and offered water that was a lifesaver, Minnesota nice at it's finest!

A pic of my bike at the 67 mile mark, Forestville State Park, it certainly didn't get any cleaner the rest of the way!

oliver1850
05-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks Dave. I didn't realize there was that much climbing. I found a gravel road last year on the way home from Starved Rock that I couldn't climb with a 30/25 gear - kinda stinks to being reduced to walking when you've got that low a gear. Glad you got through it though. I agree about probably enjoying it more in smaller doses. My longest all gravel ride this year was about 40 miles, I think the tipping point between fun and torture would be around 60 for me. For anyone interested in doing one of these rides, the Gravel Metric is next weekend in Dekalb, IL. Mostly flat and probably not very scenic compared to the Almanzo.

http://gravelmetric.wordpress.com/

gomango
05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
I was registered to ride this year but had a heckacious bicycle accident five weeks ago.

I just started riding again last weekend.

Four of the six guys I routinely ride with made the full 100 this year.

They weren't feeling so red hot after this ride.

Last year freezing rain and mud, this year heat and wind.

Congrats to you guys that made it, as this ride is tough stuff.

I put in 600 miles on gravel before the accident in prep, but all is not lost.

I found tons of new spots for fly fishing down there, especially near the bridge in Forestville.

I have a "secret" bait for those German Browns down there. :)

Dave Wages
05-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks Dave. I didn't realize there was that much climbing. I found a gravel road last year on the way home from Starved Rock that I couldn't climb with a 30/25 gear - kinda stinks to being reduced to walking when you've got that low a gear. Glad you got through it though. I agree about probably enjoying it more in smaller doses. My longest all gravel ride this year was about 40 miles, I think the tipping point between fun and torture would be around 60 for me. For anyone interested in doing one of these rides, the Gravel Metric is next weekend in Dekalb, IL. Mostly flat and probably not very scenic compared to the Almanzo.

http://gravelmetric.wordpress.com/

Don't feel bad, I had a compact crank (34T) and a 32T rear cog and I was still walking too. It wasn't so much a lack of low gearing that was the problem late in this ride, I just didn't have any gas left in the tank for hard efforts.

I agree, 60 miles or so would have been a lot more enjoyable, but sometimes it's good to find out where our limits are. I've got customers who've done PBP, the Furnace Creek 508, so I feel like maybe I'm barely scratching the surface?

Cheers,
Dave

mistermo
01-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Don't feel bad, I had a compact crank (34T) and a 32T rear cog and I was still walking too.

Cheers,
Dave

Digging up an old thread....

I'm doing Almanzo this year and was searching the archives for hints on gearing. I hadn't realized it was so hilly. But I was looking at Dave's bike and wondered how one gets a 34/32 combo to play nice with Di2?

Anyone else doing the Almanzo 100 in May?

thirdgenbird
01-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Gomango is planning on it.

I am thinking about it... I haven't been training and my only bike with proper tire clearance is a single speed. Hopefully I can get things in order and make an appearance.

gomango
01-28-2014, 08:16 AM

I am thinking about it... I haven't been training and my only bike with proper tire clearance is a single speed. Hopefully I can get things in order and make an appearance.

Yes sir.

Postcard has been sent.

I have no idea which bicycle I'll take, but my son's La Cruz with some revised gearing may work.

....or I may build something from scratch.

One thing for sure, I won't underestimate the climbing you do on this course.

I only finished 71 of the 100 last year before I gave up and went fly fishing for the rest of the day.

Caught some very nice German Brown trout though. :)

JAGI410
01-28-2014, 08:56 AM
My postcard is in the mail too. I'm probably taking my Surly Troll again. The wide, soft tires made the downhills more comfortable for me and were a lot more forgiving when falling out of the groove in the gravel. I will take less crap with me too! Both the rider and bike will be several pounds lighter than last year. I have no plans to hide shame in walking up some of those hills. Hats off to anyone who can ride Oriole Rd!

gomango
01-28-2014, 11:19 AM
My postcard is in the mail too. I'm probably taking my Surly Troll again. The wide, soft tires made the downhills more comfortable for me and were a lot more forgiving when falling out of the groove in the gravel. I will take less crap with me too! Both the rider and bike will be several pounds lighter than last year. I have no plans to hide shame in walking up some of those hills. Hats off to anyone who can ride Oriole Rd!

I'm with you!

I'll be down twenty pounds from last year and I've been on a trainer three times a week this winter.

I'm in it to have fun though and see how far I can go.

I really don't take the racing side of it seriously at all.

DAG
01-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Last year did the honorable thing and dropped at the state park, as I was the ride for someone who developed physical issues.

This year, all 100!

JAGI410
01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
I really don't take the racing side of it seriously at all.

I feel sorry for those that do! Such a beautiful part of the state, so much to see, to absorb. Time to think and people to share the experience with. Pace lining through those miles is a huge waste.

Ssalmon
01-28-2014, 04:44 PM
I'll be going! My gearing last year was a 12-27 cassette with a 50/34 crankset. I didn't walk any of the hills, but I was only 145 pounds so that May have helped quite a bit. I also have 27c tires. I am really looking forward to it this year, although I have only got on the trainer 2 times so far... I might ride a 35c file tread this year to help with more stable descents. Hope to see some of you paceliners out there!

oliver1850
01-28-2014, 09:33 PM

I'm sure there's something here that will fit you, and you're welcome to borrow. I might even let you clean it up and detail it.

Anyone wanting a tune-up ride should come to NW IL for the 78 mile Grumpy Grind, April 13th:

http://www.grumpygrind.com/

It will undoubtedly have plenty of hills, but there won't be as much climbing as the Almonzo. Race is put on by the club headed up by ex-Jelly Belly pro Bryce Mead, so anyone wanting a little competition can count on it from Bryce and his team mates.

thirdgenbird
01-28-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm sure there's something here that will fit you, and you're welcome to borrow. I might even let you clean it up and detail it

Grady has made the same offer. His bikes might need a little adjustment to suit my reach, but yours may work right off the hook. We will see if I can convince myself to get training again. Between the cold and long work days I've had trouble getting motivated.

If I can get the ship back on course, I would be happy to rent a bike in trade for a tuneup and full detail. Actually, in this weather, I enjoy projects like that. The wife also doesn't mind the extra inventory as long is we don't carry the overhead.

soulspinner
01-29-2014, 05:25 AM
Im a great fan of the 100 kilometer distance...............

gomango
01-29-2014, 06:07 AM
Grady has made the same offer. His bikes might need a little adjustment to suit my reach, but yours may work right off the hook. We will see if I can convince myself to get training again. Between the cold and long work days I've had trouble getting motivated.

If I can get the ship back on course, I would be happy to rent a bike in trade for a tuneup and full detail. Actually, in this weather, I enjoy projects like that. The wife also doesn't mind the extra inventory as long is we don't carry the overhead.

If I had the $$$$, I'd consider Alex at A Train in Minneapolis.

He would be able to whip up a steed that would work well. I sure like the direction he is going in for the last couple of years.

Since $$$ are tight though, I'll maybe throw a new cluster together for my La Cruz. I can spring for $50.

http://www.cycleexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/a-train-monster-cross-1.jpg

http://www.cycleexif.com/a-train-cycles-monster-cross

kingpin75s
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Looking forward to my 3rd Almanzo in May. Becoming a good draw for friends and family and it is always a challenge.

I generally spend the races pacing a group and favor some comfort and control.

I find that around a 40c tire is great for all dry conditions as the amount of miles in the race with 2" thick of pea gravel seems to vary each year. 2012 was end to end deep gravel. 2013 was half hero gravel and have deep for the most part. Bruce Gordon Rock N Road 43c are my favorites. Clement MSO 40c was what I ran in 2013 and is as thin as i enjoy. The new Knard 41c tires seem nice.

I really like 28/32 as my lowest. I ran 28/42 and 11/32 and only walked the hill at 90. That was more a function of having burned all my matches than being out of gear. YMMV :)

Dave Wages
03-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Fun to see this thread get resurrected. I did Alamanzo again last year with my new Strada Fango and really enjoyed myself so much more than 2012. With the long hard winter we've had in the midwest I'm getting a later start on my training, but I plan to be there again this year. Probably be riding the Strada Fango again with 29x2.0 Schwalbe Furious Fred's and I might even swap out the compact DA crank (shown) for a 44x30 XTR crank. I'm not really racing, and I've never felt like I needed a higher gear, but having a 30x34 low gear is pretty appealing, especially for the Oriole Road hill around mile 90!

Here's a pic I snapped at Forestville State Park last year. I probably carried too much crap in the frame bag, I can pare down this year, but who knows what the weather will be like?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Wj6PvBlJPzw/Uy-j7LTZFFI/AAAAAAAAJZ8/lMkJfU6WblQ/w1044-h587-no/Almanzo+2013+001.jpg

kingpin75s
03-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Dave,

I was a pleasure to meet you at NAHBS in 2013 and to see you about 10ft. to my right at the Almanzo start last year as well.

I thought your Strada Fango really nailed all of the high points for a Gravel Racer at NAHBS and with so many bikes built around the Rock N Road last year there were some nice ones out there. Your work around the BB and chain stays to get road chainrings around 2.0" tires is impressive.

And thank you for answering the question I had not yet asked :) I was curious if you had a good experience with the Furious Fred's last year as I am planning to run them this spring. I will take your consideration for running them again as a good sign.

See you at the start line...