PDA

View Full Version : Typical Mid-Week Ride

Uncle Jam's Army
05-17-2012, 10:30 PM
So I am in Northern California this week for work, and managed to base myself out of Santa Rosa for the last three days. Did a little jaunt over to Occidental and Graton yesterday. But, the crown jewel of this trip was supposed to be Geyser Road, which I have never done in my previous trips up here. I manage to schedule my work to have this afternoon off to tackle the climb, and printed out the cue sheet from the Santa Rosa Cycling Club for the ride. The first 9.2 miles are on mostly flat, gently undulating terrain on Geyserville Road/Asti Road. The first two pics are of the road along Geyserville Road, which has a ton of vineyards. The third pic is of a bridge in Cloverdale.

The cue sheet from Santa Rosa Cycling Club led me astray, as it called for a right turn at 1st street, followed by a left on Crocker Road after 0.2 miles. Well, that's not accurate. At 0.15 miles, before the bridge in picture 3, there is a sign that says Crocker Road. So I turned left, but this led to a dead end, with a small cemetery (think Pet Semetary) and a dirt road running next to it. There was a group of burly guys in orange jump suits working on the road next to the cemetery, and I right before I turned up the dirt road to ask them for directions, I noticed the trucks they arrived in were Department of Corrections Fire Crew. The whole scene just seemed like something out of a David Lynch movie and, for better, or worse, I passed on asking for directions.

I flailed away riding through a bunch of side roads that never went anywhere and then flatted. I quickly fixed the flat, only to receive an email that an associate from our office needed for me to review her brief before it was sent to the client.

On my way back onto the road where the bridge is in the third picture, I saw a guy on a cruiser stop by the bridge and I asked him if he knew where Geyser Road was. He mentioned it was just down the road about a half a mile past the bridge and then a left. Sizing me and my gut up, the guy tells me, "that is a bad ass climb, you better be a bad ass if you do that." To which I replied, "Yes I am." And then I turned around and headed back to the car. Luckily, I had a wicked tailwind on the way back, so I was able to get back to the car quickly and review the brief the associate sent me on my cell phone. All told only a 30-mile ride, and didn't get onto Geyser Road. It will have to wait for another trip.

Uncle Jam's Army
05-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Though it was only a 30-mile ride, I earned this Hop Rod Rye at Bear Republic in Healdsburg afterwards.

benitosan1972
05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Though it was only a 30-mile ride, I earned this Hop Rod Rye at Bear Republic in Healdsburg afterwards.

Quoted for BEER! :beer:
Great story, wish you could've ridden your goal.
Next time, hopefully! :)

tiretrax
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I think it's worth getting up before dawn and conquering it before you head out! Congratulations on mixing work with riding.

54ny77
05-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Great story and beer is a just reward! :cool:

pdmtong
05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
grrr about the ride but who can complain about the beer?

another one to try is russian river brewing "pliny the elder"

possibly the best beer you have ever had.

Uncle Jam's Army
05-18-2012, 12:19 AM
grrr about the ride but who can complain about the beer?

another one to try is russian river brewing "pliny the elder"

possibly the best beer you have ever had.

Had what seems to be an even better beer than Pliny yesterday. Russian River made a new beer for the Tour of CA called "More Cowbell". Very good hops (uses some hop called Hop 430) with a finish that tastes like melon. Get it while it lasts.

pdmtong
05-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Had what seems to be an even better beer than Pliny yesterday. Russian River made a new beer for the Tour of CA called "More Cowbell". Very good hops (uses some hop called Hop 430) with a finish that tastes like melon. Get it while it lasts.

oh no....something better than pliny? ok, I'm on the case...

Louis
05-18-2012, 01:04 AM
ok, I'm on the case...

Um, you're supposed to drink it, not stand on it... ;)

Peter B
05-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Welcome to God's country. Geyser's Road is the second significant climb on the Terrible Two (http://srcc.memberlodge.com/TT), a mid-summer's SRCC double century that includes Trinity/Oakville Grade, Geysers, Skaggs Springs Rd.to the coast and the turn inland from Ft. Ross for a total of 16,000' of climbing.

Come back in late June sometime and join us for a good time! You will likely not find a better supported ride anywhere.

akelman
05-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Terrible Two (http://srcc.memberlodge.com/TT)

Having ridden pretty much that whole route at one time or another, I have to say, putting it all together in one day? Insanity! On the other hand, everyone I know who's done that ride says it's just fantastic. Still, insanity!

Louis
05-18-2012, 01:13 AM
a mid-summer's SRCC double century that includes ... a total of 16,000' of climbing.

Ouch... :eek:

Peter B
05-18-2012, 01:27 AM
My tandem pal and forum resident Smead holds the current fixed gear course record at 13:25. Smokin!

Louis
05-18-2012, 01:30 AM
my tandem pal and forum resident smead holds the current fixed gear course record at 13:25. Smokin!

Insane

beeatnik
05-18-2012, 01:46 AM
The amazing thing about those roads, IMO, is that there are countless wineries yet very few cars. Where are all the tourists?

And Bear Republic is so working class. Awesome to grab a beer there while tech millionaires drink wine, enjoying Shakespeare in the park. Always have to remind myself it's Healdsburg not Heraldsburg.

Peter B
05-18-2012, 01:55 AM
<snip> Where are all the tourists?

Shhh!

northbend
05-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Some fine riding and great beer there Robert! Were you rining your Eddy?

maxn
05-18-2012, 05:23 AM
oh no....something better than pliny? ok, I'm on the case...
+1
First thing I do when I visit the parents in Berkeley is stock up on Pliny the Elder. Then, tacos.

Uncle Jam's Army
05-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Some fine riding and great beer there Robert! Were you rining your Eddy?

Hey Matt, I was riding my Hampsten. I needed compact gearing for the expected climb and the Eddy has a standard crankset.

MattTuck
05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
UJA,

Thanks for the post and pics! Sorry you didn't get to do the climb, but hey, it could have been worse. You could have been stuck in an office reviewing that brief.

Atleast you got out on the bike, with sun on your face and that sounds like a good ride to me.

PS. You should change "senior member" to "yeah, I'm bad ass"