PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing the Civil War Century?

Len J
09-09-2005, 07:36 AM
I'll be starting between 7:30 & 8:00.

Len

Too Tall
09-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Len, locals sent me a note....the event got wide ranging publicity this yr. and will be swamped with on site registration. Go early. Also, some of the roads have a fresh chip seal...watch yer fanny. Have a great time.

Smiley
09-09-2005, 08:02 AM
what distance ?? Or is this a dumb question since its a century . we did the 62 miler last year on a tandem and it was hilly . The + 100 is really hilly . I am on the fence about doing it right now .

Len J
09-09-2005, 08:05 AM
what distance ?? Or is this a dumb question since its a century . we did the 62 miler last year on a tandem and it was hilly . The + 100 is really hilly . I am on the fence about doing it right now .

There is also a 78 mile option that turns off after the last climb.

I'm going to make the decision re 78 or 105 after the last big climb. (I've done very little climbing this year). It's all about pace.

This is one of my favorite area rides. 7500 ft of climbing. and beautiful scenery.

Here is the link for the various options. http://www.baltobikeclub.org/cwc/index_01.html

Too Tall:

I've pre registered. Thanks for the info.

Len

djg
09-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Cannot make it this year. That's a nice ride, though--enjoy.

Scrafford
09-09-2005, 11:56 AM
This will be the third year in a row that I have done the Century. The last 30 miles or so are fairly flat. If you get through the first three climbs, the last climb is not bad. I would encourage you to do the century. Hope to see you there. I will be riding a serotta with the team member shirt. Dan Scrafford :rolleyes:

billrick
09-09-2005, 01:05 PM
I wish. Our 6-month old Great Dane is in puppy school that day. :crap: Be sure to write up some great ride reports about the views, sunny skies, and tailwinds so I can eat my heart out. I hope to meet some of the forum folks at the Seagull Century in October.

Rapid Tourist
09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
When is the civil war century?

billrick
09-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Tomorrow morning! September 10. See the link above - looks great and weather will be perfect. Wish I was going.

Scrafford
09-12-2005, 02:51 PM
The century was excellent. The weather could not have been better. The century starts with a gradual six mile climb where we had little wind and perhaps a tail wind. The BBC (Baltimore Bike Club) did an excellent job marking the route. It was very easy to ride without a cue sheet. The rest stops were well stocked with food and drink. The views are gorgeous looking down on the valley. The homes keep getting bigger each year. I struggled on the third climb as it is mostly on a highway with no switch backs. We had a head wind that took most of my energy out of me :crap: :crap: Fortunately, the last thirty miles through Gettysburg are easy, and it took very little energy to keep up a decent pace. What little wind there was helped us out. As always this is my favorite century. I also do the Reston Century, Bay Country Century, Potomac Peddlers Century and the Sea Gull.

There were several Serottas on the road and wondered how many people on this forum participated. How many of you are riding the Potomac Peddlers Century on Sunday, the 18th.. Keep Riding. :D Dan

Len J
09-12-2005, 03:35 PM
The century was excellent. The weather could not have been better. The century starts with a gradual six mile climb where we had little wind and perhaps a tail wind. The BBC (Baltimore Bike Club) did an excellent job marking the route. It was very easy to ride without a cue sheet. The rest stops were well stocked with food and drink. The views are gorgeous looking down on the valley. The homes keep getting bigger each year. I struggled on the third climb as it is mostly on a highway with no switch backs. We had a head wind that took most of my energy out of me :crap: :crap: Fortunately, the last thirty miles through Gettysburg are easy, and it took very little energy to keep up a decent pace. What little wind there was helped us out. As always this is my favorite century. I also do the Reston Century, Bay Country Century, Potomac Peddlers Century and the Sea Gull.

There were several Serottas on the road and wondered how many people on this forum participated. How many of you are riding the Potomac Peddlers Century on Sunday, the 18th.. Keep Riding. :D Dan

This is always well run and one of my favorites also. Great climbing, (mostly) low traffic roads and great support. The only criticism I had was that it took longer to check in for someone who preregistered than it did for a walk-up....seems counterintuitive. But if the past is any indication the BBC will learn from this. I've never seen the same problem from one year to the next....they run a great ride.

I understand they had almost 1,800 riders total......not bad for as tough a ride as it is.

Great ride, freat day, great organization.

Len

TriJim
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I rode the 78-mile option and saw 3 or 4 Serottas. :)

This is the third time I've been on these roads in the past few weeks (CAM weekend, Hanover Century, and Civil War). This weekend is the Three Creeks Century out of Carlisle. Wonder if we'll return to Gettysburg? :bike:

Tried to upload the GPS map image, but attachments still do not appear to be working correctly. :confused: