PDA

View Full Version : Chainring Question...

buldogge
05-17-2012, 06:41 PM
So...I'm getting my Sampson ready for it's new owner and I need to swap the Chorus crank that's on there for a Centaur crank to match the rest of the gruppo. I will eventually be using the Chorus crank on a future build (Legend Ti?).

-The Chorus is CF 10s
-The Centaur is CF 10s BUT has a brand new Stronglight CT-2 11s big ring on it.

When I do the new/future build it will be 11s....so...what do you guys think would be more preferable to run with an 11s set-up, taking in to account quality, longevity, etc.:

Stronglight CT-2 11s ring
OE Campy 10s ring

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

ps...I'll post a WTB sooner to later but if anyone has a Legend Ti with 57-58cm TT they are looking to sell feel free to PM me!

jds108
05-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Both of those rings are really high quality, so I'm going to be surprised if anybody can definitively say that one is better than the other. If one seems to shift better than the other, I'd keep that one.

Many folks like to have all matching parts. But I'm not one of them. I'm riding my Merckx home this evening. It has last-gen Ultegra shifters, Chorus brakes, Athena crank and BB, Dura Ace derailleurs, White Ind hubs, no-name headset, keywin pedals, and a XTR seatpost.

buldogge
05-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I won't have a chance to test either set-up with 11s. The buyer is coming by to get the Sampson tomorrow.

Bottom line is...Better quality OE Campy or CT-2 Stronglight...???

It has been stated many times that 11s works fine on 10s cranks so that shouldn't be a concern...

-Mark

Both of those rings are really high quality, so I'm going to be surprised if anybody can definitively say that one is better than the other. If one seems to shift better than the other, I'd keep that one.

Many folks like to have all matching parts. But I'm not one of them. I'm riding my Merckx home this evening. It has last-gen Ultegra shifters, Chorus brakes, Athena crank and BB, Dura Ace derailleurs, White Ind hubs, no-name headset, keywin pedals, and a XTR seatpost.