PDA

View Full Version : Thomson Matsterpiece question

tuxbailey
05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Should one ride it if the body weight approaches the recommended weight limit?

nightfend
05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Just buy the Elite version. It is not significantly heavier in weight, but is substantially stronger. Especially if you are using it for MTBing or are very overweight.

tuxbailey
05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Just buy the Elite version. It is not significantly heavier in weight, but is substantially stronger. Especially if you are using it for MTBing or are very overweight.

Yup. Just bought one from SoCalSteve.

pdmtong
05-17-2012, 04:53 PM
IMHO if you are 200 or less ride it and dont worry. if you are 200-210, YMMV depending if you are on dirt or bounce a lot. over 210, forget it.

That said, it's 40g. The elite is bomber for mtb, so will be no issue on road.

steampunk
05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
The Elite is a fine post. I think you get diminishing returns with the Masterpiece.

(Stated as a Thomson user.)

tuxbailey
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
The Elite is a fine post. I think you get diminishing returns with the Masterpiece.

(Stated as a Thomson user.)

well, I am a Masterpiece user but....my metabolism is not quite as good as before :rolleyes: I haven't crossed the limit yet but don't want any nasty surprise either :)

jr59
05-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm 265 and ride a masterpiece every day on the spectrum.

I've put 2500 miles on it with no problem at all.

When I bought it I did not know of a weight limit

jghall
05-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Both are great posts. Agree 40g is not a lot in the overall scheme. That said, I am 200+ and have no issues with a Masterpiece for years. Road rider thou.

Louis
05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Should one ride it if the body weight approaches the recommended weight limit?

"Approaches" meaning is less than? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

tuxbailey
05-17-2012, 10:57 PM
"Approaches" meaning is less than? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

Like high 190s....

But I already bought the Elite from SoCalSteve so I probably will sell the Masterpiece later after the swap.

ofcounsel
05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm 220, and I use a Masterpiece on my 29er hardtail with no issues.

Louis
05-18-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm 220, and I use a Masterpiece on my 29er hardtail with no issues.

Yet...

I'm not sure exactly what AL they use -the Thomson web site only says "7000 series"

If the load is high enough, and given enough cycles, stuff can break.

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/content_images/fig/4360020205009.png

Bikerbob
05-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Elite

ofcounsel
05-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Yet...

I'm not sure exactly what AL they use -the Thomson web site only says "7000 series"

If the load is high enough, and given enough cycles, stuff can break.

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/content_images/fig/4360020205009.png

There you go, having to bring science into my anecdote :bike::)

If I keep on riding, my weight graph will look something like that as well! I've lost 25 lbs in 5 months. If I keep it up, I should be below the weight limit before I reach the failure point!

Ahneida Ride
05-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm 265 and ride a masterpiece every day on the spectrum.

I've put 2500 miles on it with no problem at all.

When I bought it I did not know of a weight limit

250 and my *** is on a Masterpiece

rwsaunders
05-20-2012, 10:18 AM
40 grams is approximately the equivalent of carrying 13 pennies in your jersey...when dealing with equipment weight limits, play it safe when in doubt.

Louis
05-20-2012, 04:17 PM
40 grams is approximately the equivalent of carrying 13 pennies in your jersey...when dealing with equipment weight limits, play it safe when in doubt.

+1

I'm well below the limit, but use the Elite. Folks, we're just talking a few grams here. If you're at 7% body fat and above the limit, maybe I could understand it, but if you're not, why ask your bike hardware to do something that you aren't willing to do yourself? Let's keep things in perspective.

ofcounsel
05-20-2012, 04:24 PM
+1

I'm well below the limit, but use the Elite. Folks, we're just talking a few grams here. If you're at 7% body fat and above the limit, maybe I could understand it, but if you're not, why ask your bike hardware to do something that you aren't willing to do yourself? Let's keep things in perspective.

Sheesh. If that was the criteria for choosing lightweight stuff, then we'ed all be riding 25 pound bikes, right?;)

When deciding between a Thomson Masterpiece, or Elite, it's never about "need." It's a freaking seatpost! Let's get real here:no: It's about having a cool seatpost, nothing more... Nothing less. Otherwise, you can stick a $15.00 Kalloy post in your downtube and call it a day.

Personally...If I can't be lightweight and fast, at least my bike can be pimptastic:) And that's why I have a Masterpiece :)

Louis
05-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Let's get real here:no: It's about having a cool seatpost, nothing more... Nothing less.

I have a hard time distinguishing between the coolness of the Elite and the coolness of the Masterpiece. Both have a very good way to change the pitch angle, which is IMO the primary cool factor.

ofcounsel
05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I have a hard time distinguishing between the coolness of the Elite and the coolness of the Masterpiece. Both have a very good way to change the pitch angle, which is IMO the primary cool factor.

But between the two, one is lighter than the other, hence, more cool:p

You don't "need" either one, really. But justify it any way you want :)

tuxbailey
05-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Sheesh. If that was the criteria for choosing lightweight stuff, then we'ed all be riding 25 pound bikes, right?;)

When deciding between a Thomson Masterpiece, or Elite, it's never about "need." It's a freaking seatpost! Let's get real here:no: It's about having a cool seatpost, nothing more... Nothing less. Otherwise, you can stick a $15.00 Kalloy post in your downtube and call it a day.

Personally...If I can't be lightweight and fast, at least my bike can be pimptastic:) And that's why I have a Masterpiece :)

So, it is okay I keep using the Masterpiece.... ? I need to think of what to do about the Elite I just bought. Masterpiece is black and Elite us silver. It is going to a Ti bike with white saddle and black seat post collar...

ofcounsel
05-20-2012, 10:21 PM
So, it is okay I keep using the Masterpiece.... ? I need top think of what to do about the Elite I just bought. Masterpiece is black and Elite us silver. It is going to a Ti bike with white saddle and black seat post collar...

That's up to you, but I personally have never given a second thought to swapping my Masterpiece out on either my road bike or my MTB as a result of my weight, even when I was 250lbs. I am considering swapping my zero set back with a set back model, on my MTB post, however. I have the seat pretty far back on the rails, and I'm concerned as I've seen a little "bend" on my rails.

soulspinner
05-21-2012, 05:04 AM
So, it is okay I keep using the Masterpiece.... ? I need to think of what to do about the Elite I just bought. Masterpiece is black and Elite us silver. It is going to a Ti bike with white saddle and black seat post collar...

Yes

cmbicycles
05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
If you are under the limit, I'd definately ride it. I am over the limit for some stuff at 195, but have had no problems with any of it. *knock on wood*

Bob Ross
05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Both have a very good way to change the pitch angle, which is IMO the primary cool factor.

Apparently I am missing the gene that allows a cyclist to get a boner over Thomson seatposts. (And I say this as a former Elite owner.)

Beautifully machined hunk of aluminum. Expertly fabricated. Works exactly as advertised. Excellent value. I get all that.

What I don't get is how anyone can find that arrangement of two opposing bolts, where tightening/loosening them both affects the saddle angle and affects how tightly/loosely held down the saddle is to be "a very good way to change the pitch angle".

Ya know what's a very good way to change the pitch angle? Having a dedicated adjustment for pitch angle that's completely independant of any/all other adjustments.

bheight1
05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Have both and don't even think about whether it's Elite or Masterpiece, not do I feel the diff in weight riding. I have heard of both posts breaking clean along the ribbing. I have had both on my Merlin Ti frame and black post looks better with black stem / carbon crankset.

Louis
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
What I don't get is how anyone can find that arrangement of two opposing bolts, where tightening/loosening them both affects the saddle angle and affects how tightly/loosely held down the saddle is to be "a very good way to change the pitch angle".

1) Just turn the bolts an equal and opposite number of turns, loosen one first then tighten the other. Very simple. If you don't loosen too much at any one time you don't have to worry about the clamp loosing grip on the rails.

2) The graduated scale allows to you see exactly how much you've changed the pitch.

Personally, I think it's an elegant design. I can imagine improvements to the functioning of the system (e.g. being able to change the longitudinal position of the saddle without changing any other setting) but they would complicate the design so much as to be essentially unworkable.