PDA

View Full Version : is this a practical way to carry stuff on the bike?

eddief
05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
would you use it?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FLY5IXoEQts/T7VoRQymTZI/AAAAAAAACEU/2Whl6T7tejw/s800/IMG_2157.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WmwlDivdq88/T7VoRLCC-YI/AAAAAAAACEQ/26aqg6I5Iso/s800/IMG_2158.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZGca0Kma8W0/T7VoRawuqnI/AAAAAAAACEM/HgIu45mAPdw/s800/IMG_2159.JPG

Earl Gray
05-17-2012, 04:21 PM
As long as the strings don't have any chance of dangling into the wheels I woudl use it.

67-59
05-17-2012, 04:32 PM
As long as the strings don't have any chance of dangling into the wheels I woudl use it.

Yeah, that would be my main concern as well. I once used a rain cover that had a drawstring cord to cover my seat bag. It didn't look like it would be a problem and I thought I had the cord properly secured, but the jostling and bouncing on the ride got it to hit the wheel and get tangled up in the rear brake. Fortunately it didn't cause any damage or a crash, but since then I have been very wary of any accessories that might conceivably hit the wheel.

christian
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't use that saddle. I wouldn't use those Shimano shifty-bits with the exposed wires. I wouldn't use mountain bike pedals on a road bike. I wouldn't wear one of those neon commuter-coats-of-invincibility. And I certainly would not use the braids of Samson to tie stuff to my seat. :)

Carradice make saddle bags for a reason.

(This entire post is in jest.)

cnighbor1
05-17-2012, 05:13 PM
when stuff on a bicycle gets to be too much I would go to a rear rack by Nitto and a rat pack or one or two panineers
Too much chance something will come lose and drop into wheels
On my rack once I took off my brigth red sweat pants. Used a bungle to hold them to rack After 10 miles they were gone I went back to look for them Even being red they were no were to be seen
Charles

pedlpwrd
05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't use that saddle. I wouldn't use those Shimano shifty-bits with the exposed wires. I wouldn't use mountain bike pedals on a road bike. I wouldn't wear one of those neon commuter-coats-of-invincibility. And I certainly would not use the braids of Samson to tie stuff to my seat. :)

Carradice make saddle bags for a reason.

(This entire post is in jest.)

Yeah, but I liked it! I used a "fannypack" for years untill my son stole it and threw it away. He told me in no uncertain terms that "This thing makes ME look bad because you wear it!" Lol, I now either wear a comfortable jersey that I can place my necc in and if for some reason I need more room, I got a saddle bag. I loved the "Samson's braids" line! lol
For some reason the idea of using "bungy cords" to hold things onto my bike, makes me think of those on the LIE who have tied items to the top of their vehicles. You know, the ones you're always thinking..."I wonder if that's going to hold long enough for me to get around them?"

christian
05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I took off my brigth red sweat pants.

they were no were to be seenAnd suddenly it turned into a thread where people are thankful about poor portaging solutions for bicycles.

http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/22/222765-thats-me-in-those-stylish-red-sweat-pants---and-boy-did-i-ever-sweat--munich-germany.jpg

tannhauser
05-17-2012, 05:46 PM
They're bungee cinch strap thingies.

I wouldn't strap a small child in there.

What's the problem?

Fixed
05-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Recycled telephone cords
Cheers :)

ultraman6970
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I think is a great idea.

tiretrax
05-17-2012, 11:37 PM
It's ugly, but I suppose it works. If it gets caught in the wheel or brakes, I suppose the owner will find a better method. IMHO, that's a disaster waiting to happen. I suppose the neon jacket is so that the rider can be spotted by the rescue helicopter.

rustychisel
05-18-2012, 12:38 AM
the grump in me says 'what's wrong with an old toestrap?'

Also I muse, 'what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?'

54ny77
05-18-2012, 12:48 AM
no, i'd wear a backpack.

macgyver is a show on t.v., not a lifestyle. :p