PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kelly Bikes

Redturbo
09-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Anyone have any experience with Chris Kelly and his bikes out of Nevada City CA?

thanks turbo

Jeremy
09-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi Turbo,

Nice guy, nice work, reasonably priced. He is also one of the few guys left making a full line of steel forks, road, cross, MTB.

Jeremy

IXXI
09-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Ditto the nice guy quote; Chris built a rigid fork for an old Boneshaker Race Lite of mine (though, oddly, the dropouts looked 'wrong' to me-- facing forward, but he talked me off the ledge); I also ride a Knobby X that's seen a couple years of service. He obviously takes pride in his business and puts out a good product at a very fair price for people still interested in his straightforward steel niche.

Peter B
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Talk to Dwayne down at Tour of Nevada City bike shop. He carries some of Chris' frames in the store. What I've seen looks well built. I've chatted with Chris in the shop and he is a nice guy who takes pride in his craft. Have you spoken directly with Chris about what you want?

-Peter

alembical
09-09-2005, 11:50 AM
I have a single-speed (with track ends) Knobby-x cross bike that I love. I bought used, so unfortunately, I did not get to deal with them, but I have heard nothing but positives. I keep meaning to post pictures of my bike (although it is not really custom) and will hopefully get around to it sometime soon (Kelly stem, Vanilla steel fork, Classics Pro wheels, Paul brakes, Paul rear hub, Race Face cranks, Thomson seat post, Salsa bars, etc....).

alembical

Fixed
09-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey bro The Irish man with the green bikes for the little people :fight: ? . cheers :beer:

Weebles
06-09-2013, 06:38 PM
:confused:Talks the talk.

temeyone
06-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I have a Kelly Knobby-X set up as a single speed, and it's probably my favorite bike I've ever owned. I have nothing but good things to say about Chris Kelly. He definitely does a few things HIS way, but in the end, it results in a fantastic product.

Dude
06-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Not sure how this post from 2005 resurfaced but Chris Kelly has since retired - as of 2008.

goonster
06-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Chris Kelly has since retired - as of 2008.
That was short-lived.

While the original LLC was dissolved, he is back, out of retirement (http://www.kellybike.com/1st_aboutus.html) - as of 2009.

Peter B
06-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Rather odd first post for Weebles to add three cryptic words to a 7 year old thread.

Welcome to the forum I suppose, but what's your point?

don'TreadOnMe
06-10-2013, 07:55 AM
We have a pair of Roshambo in the house.
Great framesets, we ride the heck out of 'em.

Based on my experience, if you're interested in one, grab it while you can.

Dude
06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I guess I have been out of the loop. Glad he's back in it.

Yes, that is kind of odd. Maybe weebles is actually Chris Kelly????!?!?

edward12
06-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Just a word of caution: about three years ago, I ordered a custom stem for my Kelly cross bike. I made the mistake of paying for the stem up front. I never received the stem, In fact, it was never made. And my money was never returned despite repeated emails demanding a refund.

Weebles
06-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Sounds like he forgot to pay you back.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Rather odd first post for Weebles to add three cryptic words to a 7 year old thread.

Welcome to the forum I suppose, but what's your point?

He hasn't found the date yet. School's out..more posts here.

likebikes
06-18-2013, 08:37 PM
either a shill or an axe grinder. or both.

Javaman
06-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Just a word of caution: about three years ago, I ordered a custom stem for my Kelly cross bike. I made the mistake of paying for the stem up front. I never received the stem, In fact, it was never made. And my money was never returned despite repeated emails demanding a refund.

I don't usually post here, lurker and a buyer, but I feel that I needed to tell you guys that I had the same bad experience like edward12 wrt dealing with Kelly. I had asked him if he can build a fork for me and naturally he said yes and took my money. Fork was never made and he actually promised me that he'll give me a refund but he never did.