PDA

View Full Version : FIRST Serotta Purchased!

FixedNotBroken
05-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Locally I have a chance to purchase my FIRST Serotta and it happens to be a Legend which is my favorite in the lineup. I am very excited and it's the first time that one has come up that has the perfect dimensions/specs that would fit me and be a great ride.

It's a 2005..
-Serotta F3 Fork
-Full Record 10 Group
-3T Ergosum Carbon bars
-Black Thompson Elite seatpost
-Specialized Toupe saddle
-King Wheels I believe..can't recall. Possibly mismatch which is okay (I'll be switching them out)

Super clean bike..it has a bare(?) Ti finish that looks amazing..

Anyway, I am not sure what a good price would be on this..any thoughts?

Birddog
05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Ask yourself how much you are willing to pay, then back off 20% and make an equivalent offer.

dave thompson
05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
I'd look at it real hard if it's in the $1500 neighborhood.

Nelson99
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I think the advice above is very good.

But, I think this really depends almost entirely on the buyer/seller combination. Offer what you can afford and what would leave you feeling like you made a great investment. Be prepared to walk away if that (or something close to it) can't fly. Even the best bike isn't worth the feelings that can linger from a bad deal.

Personally, however, the only times I've regretted spending too much on bike stuff is when the product is somehow misrepresented. Sooooo, bust out the piggy bank!!!

Good luck!
:beer:

FixedNotBroken
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd look at it real hard if it's in the $1500 neighborhood.

His price is $1900 and I haven't bargained with him yet or showed him any dollar bills. I would like to spend $1600 but i'm not sure if this is a good deal. I don't know the worth of an older Legend frame but I do know the Record stuff is clean and in good shape which pushes the value a bit IMO. Those frames are good stuff though..

AngryScientist
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Those frames are good stuff though..

yea, you want to have something to ride when that Cervelo cracks.

FixedNotBroken
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM

I know right? At least it's not a cheap carbon frame though like I've seen some people purchase though ;) Chances are in my favor

msl819
05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
...And if they are King wheels, which doesn't sound right with campy of that generation, or other high quality wheels and you are going to pull them any way, you can always sell those and take that out of the total up front investment. Not many folks riding Legends with clean Campy Record 10 that are bumping around on low end wheels. Just a thought.

monkeybanana86
05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
His price is $1900 and I haven't bargained with him yet or showed him any dollar bills. I would like to spend $1600 but i'm not sure if this is a good deal. I don't know the worth of an older Legend frame but I do know the Record stuff is clean and in good shape which pushes the value a bit IMO. Those frames are good stuff though..

apparently 1600 will get you a CSI to start with these days :)

all kidding aside, 1600 for the bike complete? I would be very happy

FixedNotBroken
05-17-2012, 03:04 PM
...And if they are King wheels, which doesn't sound right with campy of that generation, or other high quality wheels and you are going to pull them any way, you can always sell those and take that out of the total up front investment. Not many folks riding Legends with clean Campy Record 10 that are bumping around on low end wheels. Just a thought.

I just checked and they are mismatched (not king). King didn't offer Campy compatible hubs in that generation right? I'll probably pay them forward here or sell them for a small amount.

FixedNotBroken
05-17-2012, 03:05 PM
apparently 1600 will get you a CSI to start with these days :)

all kidding aside, 1600 for the bike complete? I would be very happy

I don't know much about Serotta pricing other than the website with all the brand new prices :) Is the CSI just a different ride?

Liv2RideHard
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Cash money. Most likely if you pay cash he will hand you the bike for $300-$400 less than what he is asking. Offer him $1500 cash. Have a few extra bills in your other pocket just in case. Always works for me. When I buy vehicles like that, works every time. Good luck mate.

flydhest
05-17-2012, 03:08 PM
For a complete bike with Campy Record 10, that sounds like a good deal to me.

FixedNotBroken
05-17-2012, 03:11 PM
For a complete bike with Campy Record 10, that sounds like a good deal to me.

At $1900? I am going to offer $1500 cash and i'll bring a few bills extra with me. I still have to switch out bars/saddle/seatpost/bartape/put pedals on..i'll be putting a bit into it just to get it to what I like. I will be selling the Record 10 stuff to someone on here to put an 11 speed group so all of my wheels are compatible with each other.

msl819
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I just checked and they are mismatched (not king). King didn't offer Campy compatible hubs in that generation right? I'll probably pay them forward here or sell them for a small amount.

right... they did not come out with campy compatible hubs until Jan 2012... you could still knock a couple hundred off the price by selling or just keep and extra set for a who knows when.

v531xc
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I hope he takes that offer! $1500 for a complete high-end Ti bike sounds good to me.

And let me know what stuff is up for sale. I'm looking for Campy parts and would probably be interested in the King wheel set to maybe help your new parts purchasing.

dave thompson
05-17-2012, 04:03 PM
A Legend Ti frameset of that vintage in very good conditon is, IMO, worth about $850~$1100 just by itself. $1900 for a complete bike isn't bad, $1500 is fabulous!

Serotta has huge experience in building Ti bikes, and the Legend Ti is often considered a benchmark for titanium frames, a thoroughly excellent bike. .

flydhest
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
A Legend Ti frameset of that vintage in very good conditon is, IMO, worth about $850~$1100 just by itself. $1900 for a complete bike isn't bad, $1500 is fabulous!

Serotta has huge experience in building Ti bikes, and the Legend Ti is often considered a benchmark for titanium frames, a thoroughly excellent bike. .

I agree. In fact, Tom Kellogg once said to me that the only drawback to owning a titanium bicycle is that you will never have a legitimate reason to get a new bike. You'll do it anyway, but you won't have a good reason to.

Black Dog
05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Anything below $1900 is a good deal. Look at the cost of a new Legend and you will realize that this is a good deal. It will ride as well and be very much the same as new frame. This is a great value for what you are getting since it will be virtually the same as a new frame. The components are a bonus. By the time you part it out you will have a great frame for very little money. If you love the bike do not pass on it for the sake of a few hundred dollars.

Ken Robb
05-17-2012, 04:43 PM
I would be happy to pay his asking price if the fit/geos were right for me. I had a stock 60cm Legend that was stock geos/build and it was an excellent ride.

cnighbor1
05-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Have a freind offer say $995 than in a few days offer him say $1395 He will jump at the offer
Charles from Detroit

Ken Robb
05-17-2012, 06:15 PM
have a freind offer say $995 than in a few days offer him say $1395 he will jump at the offer
charles from detroit

FixedNotBroken
05-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Have a freind offer say $995 than in a few days offer him say $1395 He will jump at the offer
Charles from Detroit

Money is not the biggest issue and I would love to get a great deal but it's a super nice, clean, lower miles ride and I am not about being too cheap or low balling to that extent. I believe $1750 would be a great deal and $1500 would be even better! Since I'll be parting it out.

rwsaunders
05-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Hurry up and buy it as the weather in Seattle has been great this week and somebody else might snap it up.

monkeybanana86
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't know much about Serotta pricing other than the website with all the brand new prices :) Is the CSI just a different ride?

I was referring to this post:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=109631

sorry I just assumed everyone is on here 24/7 like me and reads almost everything.

anyway, I hope you get the bike for 15!

c-record
05-17-2012, 11:45 PM
We're going to need pics.

FixedNotBroken
05-18-2012, 12:54 AM
We're going to need pics.

Right after I buy it or after I'm done with it? Or both? :)

dave thompson
05-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Right after I buy it or after I'm done with it? Or both? :)

Yes.

c-record
05-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Both!

FixedNotBroken
05-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes.

Sounds good gentlemen, will do. Still trying to figure out which cockpit to run on it along with which 11 speed group to hang on it. I'm thinking Record or SR and for the cockpit I'm thinking all carbon, even the stem, along with a carbon-railed saddle.

oldpotatoe
05-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Dooohhh!!!

cmg
05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
$1900 for a complete TI frame bike is a great deal. The seller could get $1600 on eBay for the frame and fork. so $300 for campy record and wheels is a pretty good toss in. Buy it before someone else realizes it.

FixedNotBroken
05-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Here's a photo..on the down tube where it says Serotta, I am not sure if that was a paint scheme? The faded Serotta. I would love for the "S" logo in the front to be white along with the "Serotta" on the down tube, even black would look great. I do love the finish of the frame though..beautiful stuff. It has a CK headset, I am replacing it with a brand new one. I am changing out the bars as well as putting a Garmin mounting system cadence/speed setup on it. Beautiful bike wit ha full Record 10 build..very clean stuff.

cmg
05-21-2012, 03:15 PM
so you bought it? don't change a thing, just RIDE IT. CONGRATS

dave thompson
05-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Here's a photo..on the down tube where it says Serotta, I am not sure if that was a paint scheme? The faded Serotta. I would love for the "S" logo in the front to be white along with the "Serotta" on the down tube, even black would look great. I do love the finish of the frame though..beautiful stuff. It has a CK headset, I am replacing it with a brand new one. I am changing out the bars as well as putting a Garmin mounting system cadence/speed setup on it. Beautiful bike wit ha full Record 10 build..very clean stuff.

Nope not a paint scheme, rather the Serotta logos are matte finished Ti while the rest bike has a brushed finish. Very subtle and in my mind very cool. I've had several Ti bike built with that treatment and it's my favorite. I wouldn't change that at all.

FixedNotBroken
05-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Nope not a paint scheme, rather the Serotta logos are matte finished Ti while the rest bike has a brushed finish. Very subtle and in my mind very cool. I've had several Ti bike built with that treatment and it's my favorite. I wouldn't change that at all.

Okay. I had no idea what finish it is or what went into it. I love the look of it..and the bare Ti finish is awesome. When you say "brushed" what does that mean?

slidey
05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
What were the chances of the seller spying on this thread you think? :p

Nice looking ride, congrats!

Ken Robb
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
why would you swap a perfectly good King HS for a new CK HS?

FixedNotBroken
05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
What were the chances of the seller spying on this thread you think? :p

Nice looking ride, congrats!

I hope he is spying on it because it would show my excitement! Haven't bought it yet, these are just photos to show you all!

I want to get a red CK headset and have red accents throughout. I will most likely put the 10 speed on another frame and put 11 on this so my race bike and this one (training) will both have 11 so I can swap wheelsets. I might sell the group here though because I know many of you would love a mint 10-speed Record group.

happycampyer
05-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Okay. I had no idea what finish it is or what went into it. I love the look of it..and the bare Ti finish is awesome. When you say "brushed" what does that mean?The "decals" are created by masking off the area and brushing the titanium with Scotchbrite pads of varying coarseness (or other similar abrasive material?) in order to produce a uniform, brushed, or matte, finish.

That's a great looking bike at an amazing price!

rdparadise
05-21-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree the asking price is very reasonable. Anything under $1700 complete would be a steal. Go get it brother and ride the heck out of it. Enjoy. You won't be disappointed.

Bob

DRZRM
05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Late to the party, but I think the lower gut responses here are unrealistically low based on what the market has been doing, and I've been paying close attention, as I have an older built Legend that I've just decided to hold onto based on the softness of the market.

I would say that $1,900 for that bike as already a smoking deal. As there is no significant difference between a mid-2000 and a curent model (both have 1 1/8 HT and an F-3 fork). Most of the Legends frames that have been selling right around $1K have 1" headsets and an F-1 fork (check completed on ebay). I know the market is impossibly soft for used...anything, and certainly for ti, but the Legends that are going at $1,500 built are generally much older than the bike you are looking an. I have no horse in this particular race, but if I were selling that bike and asking $1,900, I would walk away from anyone coming out for a look planning on offering $300 under my asking price. I'd expect to take no less than $1,750-1,800 for that bike, and the buyer would be getting a ripping good deal. I think your seller is already priced for a quick sale. I'd get the deal done quickly if I were the potential buyer, especially if you think he'll go that low, because I'd say on a $1,600 purchase, you could effortlessly turn over and flip that bike parted out at at least a $500 profit.

A Record 10 group will sell for $6-700 effortlessly (crank 200-250, levers 200-250, brakes 100-125, FD 50, RD 100, done, BTW if your crank is 175 compact, let me start by offering you $225 for it, I'd happy face, but I'm not kidding). Couple hundred for the wheels, whatever they are. After selling whatever else you don't what, you are into that frame for under $1k.

cmg
05-22-2012, 09:51 AM
A Record 10 group will sell for $6-700 effortlessly (crank 200-250, levers 200-250, brakes 100-125, FD 50, RD 100, done, BTW if your crank is 175 compact, let me start by offering you $225 for it, I'd happy face, but I'm not kidding). Couple hundred for the wheels, whatever they are. After selling whatever else you don't what, you are into that frame for under $1k.

yep, i was going to offer that amount when he mentioned moving the gear to another bike. apparently the potential buyer hasn't tried to price a custom Ti frame or followed them on eBay.

FixedNotBroken
05-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Late to the party, but I think the lower gut responses here are unrealistically low based on what the market has been doing, and I've been paying close attention, as I have an older built Legend that I've just decided to hold onto based on the softness of the market.

I would say that $1,900 for that bike as already a smoking deal. As there is no significant difference between a mid-2000 and a curent model (both have 1 1/8 HT and an F-3 fork). Most of the Legends frames that have been selling right around $1K have 1" headsets and an F-1 fork (check completed on ebay). I know the market is impossibly soft for used...anything, and certainly for ti, but the Legends that are going at $1,500 built are generally much older than the bike you are looking an. I have no horse in this particular race, but if I were selling that bike and asking $1,900, I would walk away from anyone coming out for a look planning on offering $300 under my asking price. I'd expect to take no less than $1,750-1,800 for that bike, and the buyer would be getting a ripping good deal. I think your seller is already priced for a quick sale. I'd get the deal done quickly if I were the potential buyer, especially if you think he'll go that low, because I'd say on a $1,600 purchase, you could effortlessly turn over and flip that bike parted out at at least a $500 profit.

I'm not trying to rip the guy off, that was his asking price. He bought the bike in 06' from a current shop owner and has had it since. It's one of six bikes in his stable and he uses it as a trainer and leisurely rider according to him. I know Ti bikes should typically hold their value but in this market, it's hard to say you know?

FixedNotBroken
05-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Im not going to flip this and try to make money..I will not sell the frame, just the group, cockpit, and wheels.

aoe
05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey FNB, hope all is well.

That bike is fantastic, along with the CSI my favorite Serotta. The brushed Ti logos are sweet but if you're looking to switch it up decals and the metal headbadge can all be had from Serotta directly.
The bike is near perfect as is, but if you end up going R11 with the red logos then your plan of adding some red highlights such as a red CK headset and a red SP collar would finish it off perfectly.

To add my perspective on the price, based on how excited you appear to be about the bike, I find that the couple of hundred bucks difference in price during negotiations with a seller become a distant memory when riding a bike you love.

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Bought the bike last saturday all. Just waiting on a saddle to show up at my bike shop that I ordered. Still debating on the build...it has a full Record 10 Ti build but I would like to hang an 11 speed group on it for wheel interchangeability. I still have a few rides with 10 speed but slowly have been moving over and my past two builds have been 11 speed. Any suggestions? This Legend will be my go to ride and my trainer. It sits as is at 16 pounds...Record build, WI hubs to I'm not sure what rims (I'll post pictures), Thompson Elite post, black no name alloy stem, 3T Ergosum carbon bars, and a Toupe saddle. I have NOT ridden it yet because I'm waiting for that saddle!! Pictures will come your guys way here soon of the bike as it sits and slowly gets updated. I am thinking I'll keep accents BLACK and not go with the red. I love red but this ride looks so fresh with the black accents. The bare Ti look is amazing, yet sleek..anyway, debating on the group and cockpit ideas since the bars that came on it are a size too big. Suggestions would be great guys. I'd like to go classy with this ride..

jr59
06-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Pics or it didn't happen. :p

Great bike!

I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe bars, saddle and pedals.

Just go ride it. It's a great bike.

Welcome to the Ti club!

AngryScientist
06-06-2012, 11:14 AM
unless you've got money burning a hole in your wallet, getting rid of a functional record 10 group just for an 11-speed set-up doesnt really make much sense.

i'm sure you'll enjoy the Legend, i know i love mine. i dont know if you've owned a full Ti bike before, but expect it to ride quite differently from the racy Cervelo for sure. not better or worse (those are too subjective terms), but different.

post up some pics and a ride report when you get a chance.

Keith A
06-06-2012, 01:11 PM
So what did you pay for the bike?

Ramjm_2000
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm assuming the WI hubs are H2s. They may or may not be 11-speed compatible with a little mod Ligero showed me. YOu need to lookl at the actual FHB to know if it would work.

JR

Ahneida Ride
06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
10K frn new ..

1.5K frn used ...

I'd say that is a good deal.

DAG
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd be interested. 28h white industries to what rim?

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 03:29 PM
unless you've got money burning a hole in your wallet, getting rid of a functional record 10 group just for an 11-speed set-up doesnt really make much sense.

i'm sure you'll enjoy the Legend, i know i love mine. i dont know if you've owned a full Ti bike before, but expect it to ride quite differently from the racy Cervelo for sure. not better or worse (those are too subjective terms), but different.

post up some pics and a ride report when you get a chance.

Good point Nick. The group has extremely low miles on it and was only used on rollers in the off season since he had bought it from a shop owner in 06'. When he bought the bike it had 7800 on it and he put the group on in 2008 I believe is what he said. This is the FIRST Ti bike I have owned I just am trying to get it set up as close to my Cervelo (SP height, distance to bars, etc). Any tips on that how to obtain rough measurements?

Keith, I didn't offer him anything lower than his asking price actually..I didn't want to rip him off so I gave him good money for it.

WHEELS I have no idea what they are..I know since he used a power tap and some other wheel set with this ride, that they have extremely low mileage and there is essentially no wear on the rim surface. I have no idea how to ID the rims but I know the hubs are WI for SURE.

Right now I am going to ride it for awhile then think later about switching groups, we'll see. The wheelset is under 1400 grams so very light.

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
I will be changing a few minor things but here's the build as it stands.

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
More..

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 03:59 PM
I know they are turned sideways..I took them with my iPhone 4s, not bad quality for a cell :)

jr59
06-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Man, that thing rocks!

Get you contact points down and you are going to love it!

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm assuming the WI hubs are H2s. They may or may not be 11-speed compatible with a little mod Ligero showed me. YOu need to lookl at the actual FHB to know if it would work.

JR

I believe they are H1's, at least they say H1 on them.

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Man, that thing rocks!

Get you contact points down and you are going to love it!

I am trying to figure out how to do this.. :)

Keith A
06-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Looks great...and it's just my size :) BTW, what bar tape are you using?

Birddog
06-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I am trying to figure out how to do this..
Go to Lowes and buy a drywall square for about $10. You can measure saddle height and bar height from floor (or BB), and fore and aft measurements by placing the square alongside and in front or back of the BB and measuring forward or rearward from the long leg for saddle nose and bar center. You don't have to be on a level surface when using the square, it only has to be flat.
http://www.greatnecktools.com/upload/products_images/10181.jpg

Black Dog
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Here is a great article (http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-more-on-stack-and-reach_217176) by Leonard Zinn on how to replicate set up. Very simple and very accurate.

FixedNotBroken
06-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Looks great...and it's just my size :) BTW, what bar tape are you using?

I'm thinking it's Fizik..it's old so i'm going to replace it.

FixedNotBroken
06-08-2012, 03:54 PM
The fit isn't coming together very well..

Keith A
06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
The fit isn't coming together very well..What size is your Cervelo?

FixedNotBroken
06-08-2012, 04:14 PM
What size is your Cervelo?

http://cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2012/S5/geometry/