PDA

View Full Version : OT Donna Summer Dead At 63

biker72
05-17-2012, 11:36 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/17/disco-queen-donna-summer-dead-at-63-report-says/

She worked hard for the money..

Hawker
05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Too bad. A great singer who had her personal struggles but really turned things around in the final years.

Elefantino
05-17-2012, 11:43 AM
She sang at my grad night @ Disneyland. RIP

bozman
05-17-2012, 12:51 PM
too young.

Viper
05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
One in seven women will battle breast cancer. Twenty or so years ago it was taboo to discuss, for a woman to acknowledge she had breast cancer. It wasn't the word "cancer" that was off the mark to mention, it was, "breast." Today, one in six men will battle prostate cancer. I have never known cancer, it's a word on tv. Three years ago my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and for one week, he and we had no idea of his outlook. He is now fine.

Just decades ago, prostate cancer would kill. It still does. Same for breast cancer. Science is the key, passionate researchers, scientists and funding to support their efforts. The biggest heros of cancer are the ones who are told the words, "You have cancer". Whether they win that battle, lose the war, they are heroic.

Solving the riddle of cancer will require science to look at our blood through the microscope, but looking at a cancer patient's face, their eyes, as they fight to stay alive, the mystery of life is defined.

Reading the internet during lunch I sadly noticed how a Kennedy lady hung herself. Riddled with drug and alcohol abuse, a mother of four children took her own life with a rope. On the same page a former singer dead from breast cancer. Neither one is better, nor worse. They both make no sense.

Fishbike
05-17-2012, 01:50 PM
She was a very important part of the soundtrack of my youth. A great talent. RIP.

krhea
05-17-2012, 05:02 PM
She was a very important part of the soundtrack of my youth. A great talent. RIP.

Amen.

learningtoride
05-17-2012, 05:09 PM

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Fixed
05-17-2012, 06:01 PM
She made barefoot cool
I had a crush on her a long time ago
Cheers :)

Chance
05-17-2012, 07:09 PM
On interviews replayed this evening she appeared not only very talented but also a smart and well-grounded woman. It’s sad to see someone so young die from lung cancer, and also sad that she had to battle severe depression much of her life. Seemed like a very cool lady.

learningtoride
05-17-2012, 11:14 PM

54ny77
05-17-2012, 11:26 PM
You are g&$@!#ned right on with that statement.

The biggest heros of cancer are the ones who are told the words, "You have cancer". Whether they win that battle, lose the war, they are heroic.

Solving the riddle of cancer will require science to look at our blood through the microscope, but looking at a cancer patient's face, their eyes, as they fight to stay alive, the mystery of life is defined.

Louis
05-18-2012, 12:24 AM
So, who would like to explain the lyrics of MacArthur Park?

Uncle Jam's Army
05-18-2012, 12:45 AM
"I Feel Love" was the first song I ever played over and over and over. 1977, the beginning of a long and continued obsession with music. I was 10.

RIP Donnna Summer.

My favorite was Sunset People in 1979. Wore that one out.

Thank you for the memories Donna. RIP.

Fixed
05-18-2012, 07:43 AM
So, who would like to explain the lyrics of MacArthur Park?

With the famous "cake out in the rain," this is one of the more lyrically intriguing songs ever recorded. Jimmy Webb, who wrote the song, explained in Q magazine: "It's clearly about a love affair ending, and the person singing it is using the cake and the rain as a metaphor for that. OK, it may be far out there, and a bit incomprehensible, but I wrote the song at a time in the late 1960s when surrealistic lyrics were the order of the day."

The love affair Webb speaks of was with Susan Ronstadt, Linda Ronstadt's cousin. Said Webb (in the Los Angeles Times), "MacArthur Park was where we met for lunch and paddleboat rides and feeding the ducks. She worked across the street at a life insurance company. Those lyrics were all very real to me; there was nothing psychedelic about it to me. The cake, it was an available object. It was what I saw in the park at the birthday parties. But people have very strong reactions to the song. There's been a lot of intellectual venom."
Cheers. :)

goonster
05-18-2012, 08:18 AM
she appeared not only very talented but also a smart and well-grounded woman.
She moved to Europe for an acting gig, started her recording career and lived there for many years, and was fully fluent in German. People who become completely comfortable in another language/culture as adults deserve respect, imho.

NextTime
05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Maybe now she'll get into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. She's deserving in my book.