PDA

View Full Version : OT: anyone using google drive yet?

Climb01742
05-17-2012, 07:12 AM
i have two macs and the file i want is always on the other mac. i've been tempted to try dropbox but in the back of my mind was always the idea that google would come up with a good, simple file storage system (i use gmail and chrome). is drive that system? can you store docs created in ms office on drive? any personal experiences or opinions greatly appreciated.;)

Germany_chris
05-17-2012, 07:57 AM
i have two macs and the file i want is always on the other mac. i've been tempted to try dropbox but in the back of my mind was always the idea that google would come up with a good, simple file storage system (i use gmail and chrome). is drive that system? can you store docs created in ms office on drive? any personal experiences or opinions greatly appreciated.;)

Are they on the same network? If the are just enable file sharing in the system preferences. If they are not on the same network and it's an MS office document use MS SkyDrive 25GB free.

If one is a desktop Mac you can set it up as a file server, and can access it via the internet or you can use the free version of logmein (https://secure.logmein.com/). The free version will Mac to Mac or PC to PC but not PC to Mac or Mac to PC.

bagochips3
05-17-2012, 10:35 AM

6 one, half dozen the other.

Dropbox works well as does Drive. You can share any files with either. I need to share files to my iPad and Drive doesn't have an iPad app yet, so I am still using Dropbox. When there is an app for Drive, I may switch to just Drive. Or not.

Here is an article comparing lots of available options:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/40364/icloud-google-music-dropbox-skydrive-amazon-cloud-player