PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a cheese for that wine?

merlincustom1
05-17-2012, 04:33 AM
The Schleck need to quit complaining:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-blames-rasmussen-for-lost-time-in-giro-ditalias-11th-stage

BumbleBeeDave
05-17-2012, 05:47 AM
. . . with a grain of salt.

There's somehow gotten to be an established impression that Schleck complains a lot. Maybe it's justified, maybe not. But once something like that gets started, unfortunately reporters become hyper aware of it and tend to seek out stories and ask the questions that produce information conforming to their preconceived idea. They know it will please readers, their editor, and provide an easy lead for a story. If there's no story that day--you still have to find one. Or invent one.

I was in newspapers 30 years and saw it over and over and over again, both with stories and photos. Editor would want a photo of something THEY had in their mind was going to happen and they just didn't want to accept the fact I had gone out there and it just didn't happen that way.

BBD

Grant McLean
05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
There's somehow gotten to be an established impression that Schleck complains a lot.

BBD

Yeah, gosh, I wonder how that happened?

-g

BumbleBeeDave
05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah, gosh, I wonder how that happened?

-g

. . . in the beginning, but once you're labeled it's hard to undo it. I'm not defending him, just trying to provide context.

BBD

Nooch
05-17-2012, 10:14 AM
but isn't that just bike racing.. i'm not sure about the "launching him to the front" and whatever uci rules schleck is complaining about, though. is it to say that he was litterally pushing him, hand on ass? or was he just leading him out up to the front and then dropped back after the work was done?

merlincustom1
05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding who complains more, The Schleck or The Winklevii.

PQJ
05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I think the Schlecks whine a lot because I see them whining a lot. The media view only serves to reinforce my opinion, but not to create it.

rice rocket
05-17-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding who complains more, The Schleck or The Winklevii.

Greipel.

tiretrax
05-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Let's face it - riders will try to get away with what they can when it's unseen. While watching Peter Sagan ride through the team car caravan, it looked like he was drafting more than allowed by the rules. If the commissar doesn't catch it, I guess it didn't happen.

Grant McLean
05-17-2012, 04:00 PM
. . . in the beginning, but once you're labeled it's hard to undo it.

BBD

I know what you're saying....
But really, all he has to do is win a few races
and that has a tendency to silence the critics,
at the least, it buys some credibility.

-g

BillG
05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
I know what you're saying....
But really, all he has to do is win a few races
and that has a tendency to silence the critics,
at the least, it buys some credibility.