:banana:

shinomaster
09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
is this a trick question???

Needs Help
09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
1) titanium is about half as stiff as steel
2) titanium is about 2/3 as strong as steel
However, titanium is lighter than steel, so you can make bigger tubes with it, which increases the tube's strength and stiffness.

My answers are above in white. Highlight them if you want to see them.

The Spider
09-09-2005, 02:20 AM
I'll have a crack!!!

I think alot of people get confused between which material has higher 'strength' or 'stiffness' charachteristics and those charachteristics to weight.

Steel (4130 chromoly) is stronger than both aluminium (6 & 7 series) and titanium

Steel is stiffer than alumium and titanium (3 times Aluminum, twice of ti)

However...

Aluminium is one third the weight of steel, whilst ti is around two thirds the weight of steel.

Do I win the pony ADA?? Do I????

Dr. Doofus
09-09-2005, 05:11 AM
if the craftsman making the frame knows what to do with the material, it doesn't freaking matter

if the bozo making the frame doesn't know what to do with the material, it doesn't freaking matter

the craftsman will make a good bike

the bozo will make a sucky one

then internet bozos who are not bike builders will spout half-digested engineering nonsense and pick fights with somebody like cees or curt when they should realize they're in over their head

doof has steel pins in his right knee (from '83)...maybe somebody here will tell him why he should go AL, Ti, or Carbon?

Kevin
09-09-2005, 05:21 AM
doof has steel pins in his right knee (from '83)...maybe somebody here will tell him why he should go AL, Ti, or Carbon?

Go carbon, the chicks dig it.

Kevin

William
09-09-2005, 05:31 AM

1.) Carbon won't set off the metal detectors at your favorite airport (arch you back for security!! ;) ) and it has cool-factor written all over it.

2.) Aluminum is lighter and will give you that "direct drive" feel, no energy being wasted. The drawback is the finite stress cycles ending in catastrophic failure.

3.) Ti is lighter and won't corrode. But, it will give you that "Buttery smooth" feeling when you bend your knee.

There, do I win the ADA wheels?

William :rolleyes: ;)

weisan
09-09-2005, 06:15 AM
My answers are above in white. Highlight them if you want to see them.
Ingenious!

ada@prorider.or
09-09-2005, 07:06 AM
well all this becuase lot of people confuse stiffness and strenght
if you see publication's of a famousframe builder let say earlier about he has found the strongest fiber in the world(what was not true),then all people tend to say wow!!!

but meaby people meaby does not realise it not only about strenght but about stiffness
if you ask any pro rider he would say i want the stiffest frame!!!
as steel is stiffer as titan you can understand while m ost tend to stay to steel
same is for steel and alu steel is stiffer then alu
but carbon is stiffer (of course there is a wide range of stiff fibers )then steel
if people get figures of stiffnes then they can compare
but i never see any of then

so there for my question or people know the differance between stiffnes and strenght

ada@prorider.or
09-09-2005, 07:11 AM

yes change the pin into carbon becuase you body does not react on the carbon it does on steel
i wonder is steel even is used in surgery

i have a broken hip (cycling) and my wife broken shoulder in 1000 pieces well changed to titan
but she keep saying i does not like the titan!!

Too Tall
09-09-2005, 07:34 AM
EZ-Cees, let your wife have whatever she wants, you will live longer AND she get's an automatic membership on team Titan however we will have to call her the tiny TITAN.

PS - I give, what the heck is: "yah-ie-te-hay ". Sounds like Navajo code talk for "clinchers suk".

ada@prorider.or
09-09-2005, 07:45 AM
EZ-Cees, let your wife have whatever she wants, you will live longer AND she get's an automatic membership on team Titan however we will have to call her the tiny TITAN.

PS - I give, what the heck is: "yah-ie-te-hay ". Sounds like Navajo code talk for "clinchers suk".
well how can it be but she called "ADA"

wait ada and prorider ? yes i rider ada as a pro

yah ie te hay is navajo
and ask your orginal poplulation what it means
meaby you can even learn a little bit from them

and its the same as in chinese (sorry do not know how to put chinese signs on this board)
MA NI HO= yah ie te hay

Ozz
09-09-2005, 08:09 AM
...PS - I give, what the heck is: "yah-ie-te-hay ". Sounds like Navajo code talk for "clinchers suk".
I think it is more along the lines of "tubulars are good" ;)

93legendti
09-09-2005, 08:20 AM
...doof has steel pins in his right knee (from '83)...maybe somebody here will tell him why he should go AL, Ti, or Carbon?

The pin I had inserted in my right femur in '80 is aluminum...no rust... :)

Too Tall
09-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Somebody slap me...I think Cees is talkin' raunchy ;) Cees, you never cease to amaze me. Your street credentials just got even better.

zap
09-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Stiffness vs strength is always an interesting subject to bring up.

I brought this up some years ago with the good people at CoMotion before finalizing steel tubing for our tandem.

I choose stiffness over strength. Unfortunately, it weighed more too. But lateral stiffness is important for a tandem. This is why most (if not all) Titanium tandems are not very good.

Tubing wall thickness also contributes to strength and stiffness. One reason why some aluminum bicycle frames last longer than steel. :fight:

Cees, in the past, German Tour magazine has done tests on bicycle tubing. I know they still test frames for stiffness.