PDA

View Full Version : just bought a new frame

martinrjensen
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Picked up a White Tommasini on eBay a few minutes ago. Hope I like white bikes.... it looks pretty good. I've been looking for one for a while and like a fool I passed on the exact one I wanted 2-3 months ago and it's been burning me up.
Probably gonna put my Merckx Corsa frame on the auction block soon so my bike count stays the same (4 road bikes). I figure that I won't get as much for the Mercks but the difference shouldn't be too much. Also the Merckx is 9 speed Campy and I might use this oppurtunity to trade up on a gruppo to at least 10 speed Campy. Not sure if I want to spend the bucks on 11 speed right now but I definately want different wheels. Anyway just thought I'd mention it, as I'm kind of excited now.
So I'm flying up to Alaska for a week to do some work so I really shouldn't have to wait much to get the frame in hand. (actually with different wheels I could stand to run 9 speed....) so back to eBay....

dustyrider
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok, I've never said this before but without a picture this thread is....:no:

Congrats a new bike is always exciting!

Louis
05-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Picked up a White Tommasini on eBay a few minutes ago. Hope I like white bikes.... it looks pretty good.

Congrats.

White bikes look awesome, and are very classy.

Quite a while ago we had an entire thread dedicated to them.

I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is: Link to White Bikes Thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=45673)

Edit: Remember that white single-speed Ari bought a while back? (can't remember the brand). Incredible.

Edit: Argonaut - here it is:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/akelman/Argo07.jpg

martinrjensen
05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
OK, i deserve that. Since this is so new here's the auction with the pics. Looks pretty good to me. I saw what looked like a little bit of corrosion on the chrome which worried me but after talking to the sellor I think it will be minimal. I've had some luck cleaning up minor imperfections with 0000 steel wool so here's hoping I get lucky. Never been a big fan of white bikes but a buddy of mine has one (Serotta) and it looks pretty nice so I think this will be fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130693260698?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Ok, I've never said this before but without a picture this thread is....:no:

Congrats a new bike is always exciting!

oldpotatoe
05-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Picked up a White Tommasini on eBay a few minutes ago. Hope I like white bikes.... it looks pretty good. I've been looking for one for a while and like a fool I passed on the exact one I wanted 2-3 months ago and it's been burning me up.
Probably gonna put my Merckx Corsa frame on the auction block soon so my bike count stays the same (4 road bikes). I figure that I won't get as much for the Mercks but the difference shouldn't be too much. Also the Merckx is 9 speed Campy and I might use this oppurtunity to trade up on a gruppo to at least 10 speed Campy. Not sure if I want to spend the bucks on 11 speed right now but I definately want different wheels. Anyway just thought I'd mention it, as I'm kind of excited now.
So I'm flying up to Alaska for a week to do some work so I really shouldn't have to wait much to get the frame in hand. (actually with different wheels I could stand to run 9 speed....) so back to eBay....

Build the Tommasini, ride the Merckx and Tommasini, then decide which to sell....my opinion only(I'd keep the Merckx, but I only have 4 Merckx's).

rickbb
05-16-2012, 08:04 AM
It looks stunning.
Nice job sniping! :beer:

jr59
05-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Build the Tommasini, ride the Merckx and Tommasini, then decide which to sell....my opinion only(I'd keep the Merckx, but I only have 4 Merckx's).

This is the only way to go.
It's the only way to know for sure which one works best for you.

But he Tommasini sure is pretty!

Liv2RideHard
05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Very nice telaio. FWIW Tommasini will re-finish it for you if you are inclined to send it to them. They charge a nominal fee but can completely freshen it up. They can likely reproduce the original paint scheme or you can go with a new design. Some of the older designs can't be reproduced due some of the newer EU regulations (not sure why really). May also be worth having it get another "Cataforesi" treatment...treatment for rust and corrosion.

The folks in Grosseto are very welcoming and very helpful. Barbara (Signore Irio Tommasini's daughter) usually responds to queries very quickly. Also worth giving them the serial # and they can give you the history of the frame.

Let us know how the build progresses.

Guy

tiretrax
05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Beautiful bike. I am not sure the Merckx will be worth less. In fact, IMHO, it's just the opposite. +1 on OP's advice - ride both and then decide which to sell.

CaptStash
05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Oh for crying out loud, we're the same size. So now whow do I resist if you put the Merckx up for sale? Drat and double drat!

CaptStash....

zmudshark
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I have a Merckx and a Tommasini. My advice would be to keep both. They are very different.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ctr-riJFJG4/T1zqdv0sbdI/AAAAAAAAHGU/3bBxGUb5UKc/s720/P1020866.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rWLL1Wf6GhY/T5A39_BrCeI/AAAAAAAAHsM/hSI4UDpKv_I/s720/P1030182.JPG

Fixed
05-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Uh mumm .. I wouldn't trade a 753 off if I were you but
Toms ride great and beautiful paint
I have had both bikes
Cheers

martinrjensen
05-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I am planning on keeping the Merckx Pro 753 and selling the CorsaBuild the Tommasini, ride the Merckx and Tommasini, then decide which to sell....my opinion only(I'd keep the Merckx, but I only have 4 Merckx's).

martinrjensen
05-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Those are georgeous bikes! Got a quick (hopefuly) trip to Alaska for work for about a week, then I can start in on building. I still have not totally made up my mind on exactly what to do.I have a Merckx and a Tommasini. My advice would be to keep both. They are very different.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ctr-riJFJG4/T1zqdv0sbdI/AAAAAAAAHGU/3bBxGUb5UKc/s720/P1020866.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rWLL1Wf6GhY/T5A39_BrCeI/AAAAAAAAHsM/hSI4UDpKv_I/s720/P1030182.JPG

martinrjensen
05-16-2012, 05:17 PM
This is excellent to know. I didn't know that. I guess I wil have to wait and see. It's supposed to be in pretty good shape. I will keep the group apprised if nothing else just to instill envy!Very nice telaio. FWIW Tommasini will re-finish it for you if you are inclined to send it to them. They charge a nominal fee but can completely freshen it up. They can likely reproduce the original paint scheme or you can go with a new design. Some of the older designs can't be reproduced due some of the newer EU regulations (not sure why really). May also be worth having it get another "Cataforesi" treatment...treatment for rust and corrosion.

The folks in Grosseto are very welcoming and very helpful. Barbara (Signore Irio Tommasini's daughter) usually responds to queries very quickly. Also worth giving them the serial # and they can give you the history of the frame.

Let us know how the build progresses.

Guy

rounder
05-16-2012, 09:39 PM

Good move. I bought a serotta CIII a few years ago. I had never bought anything off ebay before. Then i started bidding on on Campy 10-speed parts off of ebay. It was fun, the parts started rolling in at prices way below what i expected (every week was like christmas when the parts arrived). In the end, the bike turned out great and it was a fun project. Hope your project turns out great also. By the way, i have two bikes with record 10 and one with chorus 11. They both feel good, one does not feel better than the other. Good luck.

martinrjensen
05-17-2012, 06:08 AM
That's great because I'm still deciding on which way to go. I will most likely do 10 spd at a minimum and sell my 9 spd Chorus groupGood move. I bought a serotta CIII a few years ago. I had never bought anything off ebay before. Then i started bidding on on Campy 10-speed parts off of ebay. It was fun, the parts started rolling in at prices way below what i expected (every week was like christmas when the parts arrived). In the end, the bike turned out great and it was a fun project. Hope your project turns out great also. By the way, i have two bikes with record 10 and two with chorus 11. They both feel good, one does not feel better than the other. Good luck.