PDA

View Full Version : 2006-2007 American Classics Sprint 350 wheels

xodus
05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Anyone have any information on the ride, reliability of the '06-'07 American Classics Sprint 350 wheels? Are they 10, 11 speed compatible? Cost? Thanks.

csm
05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
not sure of the year... but I have a set of these. they are 10 spd and built with saipan spokes (or something like that). seem to be reliable, light enough and i've only broken one spoke and they trued right up with replacement.

kramnnim
05-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I bought a set used a while ago...have 12-15k on 'em. Mine have round spokes, not CX-Rays.

The nipples like to seize up and round off when you try to move 'em...

They're not stiff...at all. Comfortable on crappy roads.

I had to add a thin shim spacer (custom turned by forum member oliver1850) to get them to work with a Chorus 11 cassette.

Not sure they'd be good for a heavier rider...

cmg
05-16-2012, 08:49 AM
have a couple of sets. the main motivator for owning a pair are the 350gram rims. lighter than everything else on the road except the stan alpha ztr 340 rims and AC scandium. majority are configured as 28 front spokes and 32 in the rear. Sapim spokes gets the wheelset near the 1300 gram area. agree, not the stiffest wheelset around and if you like diving into corners above 25mph they may not be the safest, front wheel will flex or will for me but i'm 190lbs. i like them for the easy spin up, can get to 23mph pretty quick. most complain about end cap play but that just indicates bearing wear. AC has a note about bearing replacement and setup on their website. its not a problem. get a set of stans alpha rims and cheap hubs/spokes/nipples from the bike hubstore and have a shop build a similar configuration for less. removes the flexing rim above 25mph into corners issue. reliable? I haven't had a problem with them but i don't throw them around either. be aware of their limitations, their a light thin rim. mine are campy and will handle 9-10-11 spd because the overall cassette spacing has not changed too much. new they cost around $800 bucks which is pretty good but only buy them in the 28front 32 spoke configuration if your above 180 lbs. what else do want to know?

xodus
05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the information on the AC Sprint 350 wheels. Probably not for me since I do a lot of climbing and since I go up safely......I'd like to come down even safer.