PDA

View Full Version : Which Parlee

Simon Masefield
05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
I have decided on a custom Parlee now I need advice on which one. Should it be the Z1 or the Z3? Any thoughts?

fiamme red
05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Try the General Discussion subforum.

MattTuck
05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey Simon. Welcome to the board. What type of riding do you? What made you decide on the Parlee? My guess is that he could figure out, based on the ride you want, the type of riding you do, and your personal info, which bike would be best for you. Or atleast give you the pros and cons of either.

have you reached out to the builder?

Bob Ross
05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Should it be the Z1 or the Z3?

I've always felt the Z2 was the real diamond in the Parlee lineup...but I can't imagine any of their models would be a disappointment.

BCS
05-15-2012, 10:59 AM
This thread from across the hall might help...

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/parlee-z1-vs-z2-12500.html

champ
05-15-2012, 11:17 AM
I dont believe the Z1 is worth the cost to "upgrade" over the Z3 unless you absolutely need or want to pay $1k extra for full custom geometry. Since the Z3 and Z1 share the same tubing, lugs, weight and build quality (I have a Z3 and sold Parlee) and really differ only in the seatstay design the Z1 is not as good a value as the Z3 is. In addition, the ride quality on both bikes is indistinguishable and the fact that the Z3 can be semi-customized (headtube ht, tt slope..) for the same price as an otherwise stock frame makes the better choice, imo, the Z3. In the end, regardless of which Parlee frame you choose you will be exceptionally happy with your choice.

echelon_john
05-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Why don't you tell us what led you to decide on Parlee, then we can offer some advice?

pdmtong
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
I have decided on a custom Parlee now I need advice on which one. Should it be the Z1 or the Z3? Any thoughts?

Its pretty simple. Pick based on whether you like level or sloped TT. The only reason the Z1 costs more is because of the added labor in the seat stay and brake bridge. It is not more expensive than the Z3 beacus it is "better". Those guys can make either model ride the way you want.

BTW I have a Z3c, chosen becasue I like sloping not level

Grant McLean
05-15-2012, 04:30 PM
BTW I have a Z3c, chosen becasue I like sloping not level

Parlee will happily make a Z-1 with a sloping top tube by request.

The other option that some people don't know about is one can choose
to have only uni-directional carbon on the lugs, if one doesn't like the
mix of uni tubes and woven lugs. I also asked to have the seat tube
waterbottle mounts in the traditional location above the front derailleur
which they were happy to do. Parlee was fantastic to work with,
find a great dealer you like, AboveCategory in the west, Signature Cycles
in the east, they can make it happen for you.

My Z-1 is both sloping, and uni-lugs.

-g

Jeff N.
05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
They'll also put on a pump peg/chain hanger, unheard of on a carbon bike. My Z1 is awesome...can highly recommend. Jeff N.

pdmtong
05-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Parlee will happily make a Z-1 with a sloping top tube by request.

The other option that some people don't know about is one can choose
to have only uni-directional carbon on the lugs, if one doesn't like the
mix of uni tubes and woven lugs. I also asked to have the seat tube
waterbottle mounts in the traditional location above the front derailleur
which they were happy to do. Parlee was fantastic to work with,
find a great dealer you like, AboveCategory in the west, Signature Cycles
in the east, they can make it happen for you.

My Z-1 is both sloping, and uni-lugs.

-g

grant....thats a tilt, not a slope :)

seriously, did not know Z1 could have a few degrees in the TT.

if they can do uni lugs, then defineitley do all uni. my Z3 is older, pre-uni. back in the time when woven helped prove it was carbon. I asked them about the difference to todays version, and reply is that other than SL tubing, what I have is what is still made today althought the tubes come from enve not MQC (same recipe though)

the bigger discussion was why Z1/2/3, instead of Z5. reply was simply that IF you need custom, go Z1/2/3....everyone else who fits stock sizing can save both money and weight by going Z5 and still get the parlee ride quality.

Simon Masefield
05-16-2012, 04:42 AM
Thanks for everyones advice. I could go for the Z5 ML tall with 25 mm of spacers with a 100mm stem or go with the Z1 or 3 with 20mm of spacers and a 110mm stem, decisions to be made. I do like a Chris King headset and lugged bikes though! Keep your thoughts comming!

rnhood
05-16-2012, 05:19 AM
I tend to favor 110-120 in stem lengths as the shorter stem lengths can slightly compromise handling to a point (quicker, a little more nervous or twitchier). This is my thought on standard off the shelf bikes. I think customs can account for shorter stems somewhat. So go with the Z1 or, as others have mentioned the Z3.

Of course Parlee (I think his name is Tom Radi or something like that) can also provide invaluable guidance on making the right selection. A really first rate company and their communications are excellent.

rockdude
05-16-2012, 08:32 AM
If you are going with Parlee do it all the way. I love my Z1, although its a special day bike that only see sun once or twice a year.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/roc-dude/P6141019.jpg

veloduffer
05-16-2012, 08:38 AM
I tend to favor 110-120 in stem lengths as the shorter stem lengths can slightly compromise handling to a point (quicker, a little more nervous or twitchier). This is my thought on standard off the shelf bikes. I think customs can account for shorter stems somewhat. So go with the Z1 or, as others have mentioned the Z3.

Of course Parlee (I think his name is Tom Radi or something like that) can also provide invaluable guidance on making the right selection. A really first rate company and their communications are excellent.

I bought a Parlee Z4 in a Large to get a longer head tube and paired it with a 100mm stem, which was on the bike already. I have not felt there was a difference in handling from my bikes with 120mm stems (44cm wide handlebars). I think trail and bottom bracket height have much greater influence on handling.

To the original OP, if you can fit the stock sizes, I think you'd be equally happy as having a Z1 or Z3. I tried both the Z4 and Z5 and the differences were so subtle (if existent at all) that I bought the Z4 - it fit right and was cheaper.

Bob Ross
05-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Hnnnngggggg!!!!!!!

I'm usually a fan of matte black/murdered-out carbon bikes over any other color combination...but that one right there may get me to change my mind! Perhaps the most stunningly attractive Parlee I have ever seen. :::drool:::

Grant McLean
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
To the original OP, if you can fit the stock sizes, I think you'd be equally happy as having a Z1 or Z3. I tried both the Z4 and Z5 and the differences were so subtle (if existent at all) that I bought the Z4 - it fit right and was cheaper.

Yeah, as a Z-1 owner who has ridden both Z4 and Z5, the conclusion I came to
is that Parlee makes fantastic riding bikes! Personally, my size and preferences
tipped me towards custom geometry and the tweaks I already mentioned,
which for me was the ticket. But i've admired the consistent ride quality
of Parlee bikes across the range.

-g

Fixed
05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Hnnnngggggg!!!!!!!

I'm usually a fan of matte black/murdered-out carbon bikes over any other color combination...but that one right there may get me to change my mind! Perhaps the most stunningly attractive Parlee I have ever seen. :::drool:::

It is well balanced ,looks inviting to an older rider
My only thing is ..what is it being saved for :)
Cheers

67-59
05-16-2012, 12:32 PM
It is well balanced ,looks inviting to an older rider
My only thing is ..what is it being saved for :)
Cheers

+1

A bike like that is made to be ridden more than a couple of times per year....

leooooo
05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
If you are going with Parlee do it all the way. I love my Z1, although its a special day bike that only see sun once or twice a year.

Clean that tape up!
Gotta roll righteously for that single ride ;)

pdmtong
05-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for everyones advice. I could go for the Z5 ML tall with 25 mm of spacers with a 100mm stem or go with the Z1 or 3 with 20mm of spacers and a 110mm stem, decisions to be made. I do like a Chris King headset and lugged bikes though! Keep your thoughts comming!

Z1/2/3 construction is not lugged. if you want lugs, go to calfee

rockdude
05-16-2012, 04:01 PM
+1

A bike like that is made to be ridden more than a couple of times per year....

You are right, she is setup as a weightweenie hill climbing bike and I only do one or two races a year on her. I really should sell her to someone how would give her more love and time. She is so pretty, I just can ride her on a day to day basis. Had the same problem with my Peg. Too pretty to sweat on.

OTB
05-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I am partial to the stock Z5 - handles well, responsive when it needs to be, stable going straight, stiff laterally and accelerates phenomenally.

If you are looking for more cache, go Z1 or Z2. If you don't need custom, this is an awesome choice - and if you want lighter, then Z5 SL.

Climb01742
05-17-2012, 05:50 AM
there's no doubt that a fully custom Z1 would be phenomenal, but given how good the Z5 is, how much more does the big price jump from the Z5 to the Z1 really buy you? if you have access to a Z5 to test ride, one ride may give you a pretty good answer. choosing between parlees seems like a can't-go-wrong sorta deal.

Grant McLean
05-17-2012, 09:10 AM
how much more does the big price jump from the Z5 to the Z1 really buy you? if you have access to a Z5 to test ride, one ride may give you a pretty good answer.

The Z5 is lighter, and stiffer, but not everything is about the ride.

Some folks would rather choose one of the made in the USA frames,
and like their details - Ti dropouts and derailleur hanger, as well as the more
traditional look of the tubes. There is also the english thread bb so
it can take a Chris King BB without any fuss. ( I suppose the same for headset )
While not tangible on a short test ride, these are things some may consider
important to their choice.

-g

Climb01742
05-17-2012, 10:17 AM
The Z5 is lighter, and stiffer, but not everything is about the ride.

Some folks would rather choose one of the made in the USA frames,
and like their details - Ti dropouts and derailleur hanger, as well as the more
traditional look of the tubes. There is also the english thread bb so
it can take a Chris King BB without any fuss. ( I suppose the same for headset )
While not tangible on a short test ride, these are things some may consider
important to their choice.

-g

all good, very valid points. and in all honesty, if you took price out of the equation, i'd love to have a Z1 in a heartbeat. that said, the value/performance balance of the Z5 is awfully attractive.

gearguywb
05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
You are right, she is setup as a weightweenie hill climbing bike and I only do one or two races a year on her. I really should sell her to someone how would give her more love and time. She is so pretty, I just can ride her on a day to day basis. Had the same problem with my Peg. Too pretty to sweat on.

I'd sweat on it!

pdmtong
05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
how much more does the big price jump from the Z5 to the Z1 really buy you?

well, the fact that Z1/2/3 is entirely handmade in USA is also an appeal that some will pay for - also the points that grant made.

if you want light weight, low price, most "modern" (PF30, etc.), then Z5 SL Di2frame.

54ny77
05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Get whichever one floats your boat and fits the budget. Great bikes and company.

I had z4, loved it. Have many friends who have parlees and never hear any complaints about the ride. They all get ridden and/or raced hard.