PDA

View Full Version : Specialized owners - cone spacer size?

54ny77
05-15-2012, 12:15 AM
I've got a ~ '09 S-Works Tarmac SL2 with a mystery ~2cm cone spacer under the stem. Am trying to get lower, & don't know what kind of spacer I need. If you own one like this or are familiar with this sort of thing, any light you can shed would be much appreciated. Did some google searching and the Specialized specs say:

"S-Works Campy style, 1-1/8" to 1.5" lower bearing, integrated threadless, sealed cartridge ceramic bearings w/ stainless steel races, 8mm carbon cone w/ one 10mm and two 5mm carbon spacers"

To be honest, I generally have no idea what this is saying. I popped off the stem and other spacers, and the existing cone spacer is from Cane Creek. At the base of it there's some sort of built-in ring thing which looks like it covers the headset (sort of like a seal, but not quite), which itself sits recessed in the head tube.

High tech stuff I suppose...and I do hope there's replacement parts for this sort of ever-evolving tech years from now...

Thanks for any tips. :)

dave thompson
05-15-2012, 12:55 AM
See a Specialized dealer, they should be able to help you get the shorter cone spacer you want.

54ny77
05-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Aww, but that would be too easy. ;)

pdmtong
05-15-2012, 01:06 AM
time for -17d stem?

that cone spacer may only come one size.....

54ny77
05-15-2012, 01:24 AM
is that kind of thing what they call an integrated headset? if so what a pain in the ass idea when it comes to addressing this kind of situation (stem placement, hassling with cone spacers, etc). i'll buy a new headset if needed, as i like the stem on there now. a -17 would look kinda goofy (to me). i just need to get lower by about 1cm.

Gummee
05-15-2012, 08:16 AM
They make an 8mm spacer for Tarmacs. Get one of those.

I did. Made my Roubaix better. Not good enough to keep, but better.

M

bluesea
05-15-2012, 08:49 AM
They make an 8mm spacer for Tarmacs. Get one of those.

I did. Made my Roubaix better. Not good enough to keep, but better.

M

Those were out of stock when I needed it. I spoke with someone at Cane Creek and FWIW he said the Specialized Cane Creek headsets are not made by Cane Creek. Instead of scrounging around for a cone that fit I just bought a complete headset--not the best economics but it worked. The Specialized cone is slightly wider, and covers that sliver of metal seen in the pic.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7038/6927099881_ab73e77e97_b.jpg

eddief
05-15-2012, 09:25 AM
the Campy-standard headset spacer is available in sizes down to 8 mm. Unfortunately, they list it in the description, but don't seem to have it for sale:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=66796

dave thompson
05-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I've got a ~ '09 S-Works Tarmac SL2 with a mystery ~2cm cone spacer under the stem. Am trying to get lower, & don't know what kind of spacer I need. If you own one like this or are familiar with this sort of thing, any light you can shed would be much appreciated. Did some google searching and the Specialized specs say:

"S-Works Campy style, 1-1/8" to 1.5" lower bearing, integrated threadless, sealed cartridge ceramic bearings w/ stainless steel races, 8mm carbon cone w/ one 10mm and two 5mm carbon spacers"

To be honest, I generally have no idea what this is saying. I popped off the stem and other spacers, and the existing cone spacer is from Cane Creek. At the base of it there's some sort of built-in ring thing which looks like it covers the headset (sort of like a seal, but not quite), which itself sits recessed in the head tube.

High tech stuff I suppose...and I do hope there's replacement parts for this sort of ever-evolving tech years from now...

Thanks for any tips. :)
According to the 2009 Specialized catalog ( http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2009&sid=09SWROAD ) the Tarmac came with an 8MM cone spacer along with 20MM of 'standard' spacers underneath that. A decent Specialized LBS should have that 8MM cone spacer in stock, or in worst case scenario he could order it. Specialized is really good about having small parts available for quick delivery. If the LBS is good, he'll get it for you pretty quick.

54ny77
05-16-2012, 01:40 AM
If needing Specialized stuff and you're out in SoCal, see Surf City Cyclery, Costa Mesa, CA. Really, really nice store. Big, and stocked with a huge amount of inventory.

Some weeks back I had met a couple of their masters team riders while out on a spin one day, and the team manager (forget his name) told me to stop by the shop if I ever needed something for my bike. He was a great ambassador for the store, as I remembered its name as a result of that conversation.

One of the mechanics took care of my spacer issue in a heartbeat, no muss no fuss, and he was both friendly and answered all of my questions.

Was pretty much blown away by the good service all around. To thumbs up for this place.

Dave: he threw an FSA low profile spacer that somehow fits perfect and still provides full coverage for the headset. It's almost 1.5cm lower than the Cane Creek.