PDA

View Full Version : One more reason I like Chris Horner . . .

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2012, 07:40 PM
He's already old and has such a great outlook on things.

And now his bike . . .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-chris-horners-trek-madone-6-9-ssl

Even in this pro race with a team car right behind, he carries a seat bag. And not just any seatbag, but a Pedro's recycled inner tube bag--with a hand pump strapped to it!

He also carries a spare tubie in his water bottle cage--just in case . . . dude is righteous and I would love to go for a ride with him--for the 5 minutes I could keep up before being dropped like a bomb.

BBD

jr59
05-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I bet he would be a great guy to ride with.

I would also bet, if you did get a chance to ride with him, he wouldn't drop you at all. My bet is he would let you pick a pace that you wanted to be comfortable with.

He would have little to prove! It's funny how age does that to people.

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I bet he would be a great guy to ride with.

I would also bet, if you did get a chance to ride with him, he wouldn't drop you at all. My bet is he would let you pick a pace that you wanted to be comfortable with.

He would have little to prove! It's funny how age does that to people.

In everything I've seen about him, he just strikes me as a classy, down to earth guy who doesn't take himself or the sport too seriously. If he wins he's happy. But if he doesn't his attitude seems to exactly that--he has nothing left to prove and that's just the way life goes.

BBD

fiamme red
05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
His bars are too high. Doesn't he know that it's more important to look fast than to be fast? What a fred. :)

thwart
05-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Wonder if anyone else in the peloton rides with a bag... ?

And what's the reason he does---what's happened in the past to prompt that with a team car so close-by?

But I agree, that is trés cool.

DRietz
05-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Actually, that's from the training ride on Saturday. He doesn't race with it, but he does train with that stuff regardless of whether or not it's a team sanctioned training ride.

rounder
05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I forget where i read it...and it was a long time ago...but i was reading a story about a fast group that was riding up a mountain in California. Anyway, an unknown guy showed up and asked if he could ride with them (Chris Horner). Along the way he was doing wheelies up the mountain.

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2012, 08:06 PM
. . . this was way cool, too.

Chris is pure class . . .

http://gritandglimmer.com/chris-horner-gives-fallen-rider-and-bike-a-2k-ride-to-the-finish/

BBD

John H.
05-14-2012, 08:18 PM
That dude that he gave a ride to in the picture went on to win an Olympic gold medal in Nordic skiing in the most recent winter Olympics.
Bill DeMong

rwsaunders
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Please tell me that Horner uses a mirror and taillight too...then I'll feel really pro.:cool:

Jason E
05-14-2012, 10:53 PM
. . . this was way cool, too.

Chris is pure class . . .

http://gritandglimmer.com/chris-horner-gives-fallen-rider-and-bike-a-2k-ride-to-the-finish/

BBD

Hmmm... So a Madone can handle 250lbs with no problem... :rolleyes:

That's an awesome pic.

spartanKid
05-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Hmmm... So a Madone can handle 250lbs with no problem...

That's probably closer to 300lbs, I doubt either of them is 120lbs...

stackie
05-14-2012, 11:59 PM
I forget where i read it...and it was a long time ago...but i was reading a story about a fast group that was riding up a mountain in California. Anyway, an unknown guy showed up and asked if he could ride with them (Chris Horner). Along the way he was doing wheelies up the mountain.

A fellow anesthesia resident with me at UCSD was a former cat 2. He told me that he was hanging at coffee shop and this surfer looking dude rolled up and asked if he could ride with them some time. They said sure he could go with them up Palomar mountain the next day. He shows up with a corncob on the back. They smirk and think they're going to dust him. Halfway up the mountain, they look back, sure enough he is back there doing wheelies. They wave him up and he just drops the front wheel an spins up to them with no effort. They take him to their team director.

That's the story I heard

Jon

Elefantino
05-15-2012, 05:25 AM
Saddle bag? Pump? No problem.

He's carried heavier things on his seat.

http://sherkat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/hornerasscrackin.jpg

Climb01742
05-15-2012, 05:33 AM
can anyone tell what kind of pump that is?

Elefantino
05-15-2012, 06:27 AM
That's a Bontrager Air Support. Very distinctive handle.

benitosan1972
05-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Horner sounds sexier than Ssssschhhhleckkkkk... he would be cool to ride & grab a beer with too ;)

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Horner sounds sexier than Ssssschhhhleckkkkk... he would be cool to ride & grab a beer with too ;)

. . he doesn't drop his chain either--even while doing those wheelies!

I'm so cruel . . . :p

BBD

Hawker
05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
I sure hope they let him try his hand at commentating when he's done racing. I love P&P but I'm starting to think we need a bit more excitement in the booth.

lovethesport
05-15-2012, 01:30 PM
I sure hope they let him try his hand at commentating when he's done racing. I love P&P but I'm starting to think we need a bit more excitement in the booth.

I have thought the same... P&P are masterful in keeping the flow compared to other announcers... but Chris is almost like Andre Agassi in his abiltiy to
dissect an issue and get to the point quickly and colorfully.

MattTuck
05-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Chris Horner has an armchair at his house, made out of the real arms of people he destroyed on past climbs.

// I just take Chuck Norris jokes, and replace them with chris horner, and add a cycling term.

Hawker
05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Chris Horner has an armchair at his house, made out of the real arms of people he destroyed on past climbs.

// I just take Chuck Norris jokes, and replace them with chris horner, and add a cycling term.

Eeew. You been reading some Edgar Allen Poe or something?

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
. . . wears Chris Horner pajamas."

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't sound as good as "Jens Voigt." ;)

BBD

rdparadise
05-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Several years ago as many of you know he was virtually tearing up the American racing circuit, similar to Armstrong in the early 90's. Anyway, it was said than that he'd never survive in Europe. Well they were wrong about that too. While the guy hasn't been as successful, his European career is certainly something to be proud of.

Remenber in the early 2000's when he was winning everything stateside? He was amazing, and now just all class for sure. I couldn't believe he finished that stage in the tour last year when he crashed and got a pretty bad concussion. I don't believe he could remember finishing the stage. What guts.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Bob

harryblack
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
1) I don't disagree but remember when Chris was nearly in tears about Lance's TdF crashes in 2010?

2) Any ever see Horner wear gloves?

In everything I've seen about him, he just strikes me as a classy, down to earth guy who doesn't take himself or the sport too seriously. If he wins he's happy. But if he doesn't his attitude seems to exactly that--he has nothing left to prove and that's just the way life goes.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2012, 04:56 PM
. . . but I'm not sure how either of those might indicate a lack of class. :confused:

BBD

1) I don't disagree but remember when Chris was nearly in tears about Lance's TdF crashes in 2010?

2) Any ever see Horner wear gloves?