PDA

View Full Version : Undershirt under bibs? What's the deal?

MattTuck
05-14-2012, 04:21 PM
What is the purpose or goal of wearing an undershirt under the bib? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a full zip jersey.

buldogge
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
I always wear the mesh Craft undershirts (or Icebreaker wool, depending on season) otherwise on longer rides I get...ummm...chafed.

I find the baselayer actually makes it more comfortable, and I'm talking St. Louis 100deg/90% humidity weather.

FWIW...

-Mark in St. Louis

What is the purpose or goal of wearing an undershirt under the bib? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a full zip jersey.

Louis
05-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Summer's almost here, let's talk about nipple burn. :eek:

67-59
05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I always wear the mesh Craft undershirts (or Icebreaker wool, depending on season) otherwise on longer rides I get...ummm...chafed.

I find the baselayer actually makes it more comfortable, and I'm talking St. Louis 100deg/90% humidity weather.

FWIW...

-Mark in St. Louis

I find it more comfortable as well, except I've switched to wearing wool year-round -- obviously, the short-sleeved, lighter-weight stuff as the weather heats up.

Louis
05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
I always wear the mesh Craft undershirts (or Icebreaker wool, depending on season)

Mark, is this the one you use in the summer? Craft Link (http://shop.craftsports.us/layer/base-layer/cool/pc-mesh-sleeveless-white.html)

TMB
05-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I wear an icebreaker brand wool undershirt under the jersey, no matter what the weather.

Keeps you more comfortable whether hot or cold.

rnhood
05-14-2012, 05:01 PM
If you are trying to stay cool in hot weather, nothing beats a lightweight full zip jersey and shorts - not bibs. A base layer might seem more comfortable in feel, especially if one wears bib shorts, but to maximize the effects of evaporative cooling skip the baselayer.

Having said that, the modern mesh type baselayers are pretty efficient so for those that like wearing them its not a big disadvantage. Mostly personal preference. The less material on the skin the better for me.

witcombusa
05-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Agree...I hate the hot weather (read anything over 75). Full zip white perferated jersey and shorts is as good as it gets!

firerescuefin
05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I always wear a performance fabric shirt...even on hot days.

Steve in SLO
05-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Are you asking about wearing a baselayer under as opposed to over the bibs, or about wearing a baselayer at all?

If the first Q: under the bibs makes the bib straps and top seams more comfy to me, and one less thing to take off if you gotta go #2.
If the 2nd Q: cooler to a point + adds bug (bee) protection + looks PRO.

reidbeloni
05-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Are you asking about wearing a baselayer under as opposed to over the bibs, or about wearing a baselayer at all?

If the first Q: under the bibs makes the bib straps and top seams more comfy to me, and one less thing to take off if you gotta go #2.

If I might add. The distinction between question 1 and 2 is key. Regarding question 1; I think under the bibs is awful. Who cares if you can "go" easier? With the baselayer under the bibs you have these stupid looking "pantie lines". I always wear a base layer, but is goes over my bibs and under the jersey.

norcalbiker
05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
I wear baselayer regarless of the weather.

I have a winter and summer base layer.

fourflys
05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
I started wearing baselayers a couple years ago and really like them in any temp... I just picked up some PI shirts but my fav is the Swobo merino baselayers... also I think they helped me a bit when I went over the bars a couple years ago...

MattTuck
05-14-2012, 06:09 PM

Just wanted to make sure that this wasn't the only reason...

I haven't found bibs to be particularly uncomfortable, but it is rare that I'm riding more than 50-60 miles... so maybe the chaffing comes in after that.

Maybe people just need to apply chamois cream to their whole body. :rolleyes:

giverdada
05-14-2012, 06:28 PM
this.

i've had a few urgent calls to the green plastic throne at various events, and the last one that i fully had to undress (and curse and curse and cur...oh no...) for was best buddies in d.c. in october. f-in freezing and having to take off everything just to do my business was a hassle, a slow-down, and very very cold. baselayer underneath works great for that.

otherwise, baselayers are great for thermoregulation and all that blah blah, but i don't always wear one. wish i had more wool ones...

bluesea
05-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Interesting question, but what would Sherlock Holmes have to say? If he looked at my Campy sleeveless baselayer, he'd see the shoulders are dorky wide to potentially accomodate straps. The neck and arm openings are seamed, which is a bulky fabric edge treatment, and the waist is serged. The serging of course, is the smoother and less bulky edging, which makes sense when tucked in.

Elementary my dear Watson: the next time you (me) travel to Northern California, you now have the recently discovered option to wear tucked it. The better not to puff up your skin tight euro fit Santini. :bike:

Marz
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
If I might add. The distinction between question 1 and 2 is key. Regarding question 1; I think under the bibs is awful. Who cares if you can "go" easier? With the baselayer under the bibs you have these stupid looking "pantie lines". I always wear a base layer, but is goes over my bibs and under the jersey.

Check out pics of pro racers. Baselayer under bibs, that's why it's called a base layer

EDS
05-14-2012, 06:37 PM

You are going it wrong.

bobswire
05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Ever since I saw Rasmussen without his jersey I thought there should be law against cyclists with an un-zipped jersey without an undershirt unless it's Liz Hatch.

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/post-8954-079485500-1277297243.jpg

flydhest
05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
when I wear a baselayer it is under the bibs. I want the baselayer next to my skin. Plus, the baselayers are mostly a bit longer than the jerseys, so it would stick out under the jersey if it was not under/in the bibs.

reidbeloni
05-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Ever since I saw Rasmussen without his jersey I thought there should be law against cyclists with an un-zipped jersey without an undershirt unless it's Liz Hatch.

Could have done with the Hatch image instead of the Chicken...

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/4b02f77e3db679fe91aadcbe81296352b1a68f7a_m.jpg

bluesea
05-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Doesn't count, she's wearing shorts for obvious reasons. :banana:

wc1934
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
As a base layer I've been wearing sleeveless underarmour (heat gear) tee. Counter intuitive but another layer actually keeps me cooler on those hot days. Technology does work.

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2012, 07:35 PM

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/post-8954-079485500-1277297243.jpg

He looks like a concentration camp survivor. :eek:

I've always worn my base layer undershirt--usually a DeFeet UnDee shirt--under the bib straps. Way more comfortable.

BBD

rwsaunders
05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
i always wear a performance fabric shirt...even on hot days.

+1.

jasond
05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I wear a craft superlight sleeveless shirt. I also just bought two Gore baselayer sleeveless shirts from Chainlove for $14.99 each. Chainlove had them for sale today for $16.99. They will probably have them on sale again tomorrow.

FlashUNC
05-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Always always always under the bib straps.

buldogge
05-14-2012, 08:37 PM
This one, I believe:

http://shop.craftsports.us/men/tops/pc-t-with-mesh-black.html

-Mark

Mark, is this the one you use in the summer? Craft Link (http://shop.craftsports.us/layer/base-layer/cool/pc-mesh-sleeveless-white.html)

fourflys
05-14-2012, 08:42 PM
As a base layer I've been wearing sleeveless underarmour (heat gear) tee. Counter intuitive but another layer actually keeps me cooler on those hot days. Technology does work.

Exactly, I was amazed at how comfy the swobo merino base layers are here in SoCal...

67-59
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM

Wow. Do you wear your underwear over or under your pants?

Elefantino
05-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Whatever floats your boat.

The only losing move is not to play.

Steve in SLO
05-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow. Do you wear your underwear over or under your pants?

Underpants go over bibs. Duh.

pedlpwrd
05-15-2012, 05:11 AM
I learned my first summer here on Long Island, chaffing sucks!

AgilisMerlin
05-15-2012, 05:18 AM
i equate bibs with overalls

never question the power/role/standing of said tshirt

white during winter
black spring summer fall

Elefantino
05-15-2012, 05:26 AM
white during winter
black spring summer fall
Is it not OK to wear white after Labor Day? :eek:

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2012, 06:00 AM
. . . to wear white after Labor Day.

And it is never OK to wear white shorts.

Especially when it rains. :D

BBD

Is it not OK to wear white after Labor Day? :eek:

lovethesport
05-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Could have done with the Hatch image instead of the Chicken...

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/4b02f77e3db679fe91aadcbe81296352b1a68f7a_m.jpg

Where is Paola Pezzo when you need her? Man... that's what memories(politically correct) are made of!

bostondrunk
05-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Always, to hold my gut....er.....stomach muscles in.

http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12419028&cp=3955558.11530462&parentPage=family

:banana:

lhuerta
05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
but to maximize the effects of evaporative cooling skip the baselayer.

actually...its the opposite of what you indicate.

The sole purpose of the summer base layer is to wick sweat away from the skin and maximize evaporative cooling....almost like insulation layer on those new CamelBack H2O bottles.

Lou

tiretrax
05-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Always under the bib. If you don't like the lines, wear shorts.

Bob Ross
05-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Um...no. Wearing an undershirt over the bibs would defeat the purpose of having a full zip jersey.

estilley
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Wearing an undershirt under the bib is like a runner wearing longer spandex under their short running shorts.

flydhest
05-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Wearing an undershirt under the bib is like a runner wearing longer spandex under their short running shorts.

I don't understand this analogy. Can you elaborate? Typically, a jersey would cover up the undershirt (and the bib straps) so I don't see the comparison.

tiretrax
05-16-2012, 11:06 AM

I think it would be the opposite - it would be like shorts under the tights.