PDA

View Full Version : new frame question. and the trouble with campy seatposts

cmg
05-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Just got a new TI frame. frame is designed to accept a 27.2 seat post. The campy record carbon post i had wanted to use did't fit, nor did the campy alloy. the Dura ace and bontrager seatpost do. so the questions is, does the new frame need to have the seatpost tubing reamed?

ultraman6970
05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Are u sure the seat tube is 27.2 and not 27?? the 1st thing you have to do is to measure the tube inside with a caliper.

Second... I imagine the frame use a clamp, that means that the frame use a neck where the clamp goes to. Maybe the neck is closed or bulged and thats why the seatposts dont fit.

Take the clamp out and see if the neck area is round, it might not be round.

Good luck.

buldogge
05-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I had the same issue with a Campy Record CF in my Chesini.

On the other end of the Spectrum, my Thomsons are almost always "loose".

I ended up reaming the Chesini for the Record CF and then changed my mind and used a silver Thomson...silver Thomson was loose...and ended up having to knurl the Thomson below the insertion point! :mad:

A Ritchey and a Campy alloy fit fine.

-Mark in St. Louis

cmg
05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
this is a new frame made of modern TI tubing from a maker that has been building for a while. This was what puzzled me both campy seat posts didn't fit but all others did, bontrager, dura ace and FSA. Yes the bike has a seat collar and i inserted with collar floating above post, the looses fit possible. i hate the idea of reaming a new frame and will prefer to go to another maker seat post. puzzling........

Ken Robb
05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I suppose a commercialy-made shim would be too thick but would a home-made shim from an aluminum can work?

Ken Robb
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
I would sand a post before I would ream a frame.

cmg
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
I would sand a post before I would ream a frame.

even a carbon post?

Louis
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
The campy record carbon post i had wanted to use did't fit, nor did the campy alloy. the Dura ace and bontrager seatpost do. so the questions is, does the new frame need to have the seatpost tubing reamed?

Simple: Measure the diameter (or circumference) of all four posts. If the Campy posts are too big and the others the correct size don't ream the ST.

IMO reaming the ST would be the last option.

christian
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Nominally, a 27.2 post should be 27.15. What they actually are in practice varies, as you've now seen.

TMB
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I suppose a commercialy-made shim would be too thick but would a home-made shim from an aluminum can work?

^ this.

I have a piece of Sprite can making my Chorus Ti post fit in my rather pricey Pegoretti frame.

There is variance.

thinpin
05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
^ this.

I have a piece of Sprite can making my Chorus Ti post fit in my rather pricey Pegoretti frame.

There is variance.

If the post is too big (OP considering reaming the ST) I'd love to know how a shim will help?

charliedid
05-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Contact the builder yet?