PDA

View Full Version : Maietta Cycles Finished

ORMojo
05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, I somehow missed this news 2 months ago, and don't see any mention of it here or across the hall, but Tony Maietta has closed up shop.

I'm currently on the east coast for a bit, and found out earlier today that I will be heading his way, so I thought I would look into a visit (he had a reputation for an amazing shop full of tools, etc.) and talk about a custom bike. Went straight to contact him, and found this (http://maiettacycling.com/Maietta/Maietta_Cycling_Home.html) (dated March 7), stating in part "Effective immediately Maietta Cycling is significantly downsizing operations. I have refunded the deposits for all clients in my build queue and will not be accepting orders for new custom frames from the general public. I am currently in the process of liquidating my framebuilding and painting equipment; by the end of March I will not have a physical shop location."

He goes on to explain the circumstances, and although it is too bad he couldn't make a go of it, given the circumstances it sounds like he is making the right choices.

Too bad - I know a few of his bikes had passed through here, and I had seen a few in person. I also came close to buying one or the other of his show bikes, but they were alway just a hair off in size.

Enjoy yours if you have one!

Louis
05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, I somehow missed this news 2 months ago, and don't see any mention of it here or across the hall

I believe it was discussed "across the hall." If I remember correctly, e-R started the thread.

As you say, unfortunate, but it does sound like it's for the best.

Louis

Joachim
05-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I've owned two of his frames. The last one is a XCr stainless.

ORMojo
05-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I believe it was discussed "across the hall." If I remember correctly, e-R started the thread.

As you say, unfortunate, but it does sound like it's for the best.

Louis

You did indeed remember correctly, and I had just used the wrong VS search box an hour ago, but corrected that and found the thread.

I like what Tony posted there (in addition to the announcement on his own site, which I linked to above) - I'll copy here for ease:

Thank you for all the kind words. I offer my sincerest apologies to the clients I refunded recently (many of you are on this forum). I am embarrassed to have added to a negative imagine of one man shops not being trustworthy though poor communication. I have a natural tendency to ignore difficult situations. As my delivery dates continued to stretch and my clients frustrations justifiably grew I turtled more; which exacerbated the problems. Respectful, private, and considerate contact from peers in the trade helped me get back on track. I feel fortunate for the reasons stated on my web site statement, but also for being able to walk away business debt free (refunded deposits, business credit card debt, shop rent, etc) through the sale of my equipment. While I am not going to have a shop to call my own I am not giving up the craft. I already have tubes on order to build myself a 29er in Zank's shop, which is halfway between work and home.

I made nearly every mistake a budding framebuilder could make and would be happy to share lessons learned. Shoot me an email or perhaps over on my SO...I'm pretty frank with it all at this point.

See you on the road and trail...and perhaps most importantly...see you on the cx start line this fall!
Tony

He also noted that he believes he built about 60 frames.

Bruce K
05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Tony was a class act all the way through the start up, business run, and wind down.

If there was ever a way to "do it right", he did. Even when it went wrong.

A nice guy U wish all the best for.

BK

Peter P.
05-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm one of Tony's last customers who was on his waitlist.

Without hesitation he sent me a full refund.

Yes; he left the business with a good reputation intact. I'm sure he'd be welcome back, whether for his framebuilding, paint jobs, or both.

RacerJRP
05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Was very close to having Tony build me a frame about 2 years ago. Sorry to hear that he is done...for now anyway.

tele
05-14-2012, 08:02 AM
I too have a Maietta frame, in fact Tony had to repair it because of me being a dumb-azz. Talked to Tony the other day--he is doing well and in a good place. Tony has a lot of talent, both building and painting, and a good head on his shoulders. I am very happy for him personally but a little sad bike wise because I believe he was starting to make a name for himself.

FlashUNC
05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
I think he the made the right choice, though it is sad to see him hang it up for a while. Can't burn the candle at both ends forever.