PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Comp triple cable routing

zmudshark
05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm trying to dial in my wife's Campy triple FD, and I'm confused as to whether the FD cable goes over or under the tab on a Comp triple FD. All of my other Campy FD's don't have the tab. Google doesn't want to help, maybe someone who actually runs a triple can shed a little light, or of course, Peter.

Can provide pics if needed, but if you have one, you know what I'm talking about.

Dave
05-13-2012, 04:18 PM
The cable should go over the tab, then over the clamp bolt. Page 12, figure 6.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/10s_Front_derailleur.pdf

If your shifters are 2008 or older, it normally takes 7 (of 12) clicks of the finger lever to cover the full range of travel. 2009 and newer ultrashift levers only have 6 clicks, so all must be needed.

I've never used powershift or escape levers that drop to smaller rings with one push of the thumb button.

zmudshark
05-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Dave. I don't know why I couldn't find that tech doc. These are 2010 Centaur Ergos, back to the garage for another try.

That's what made sense, but the shifting at that position was sketchy.

Ralph
05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
There must be no slack in FD cable to make it work well. On one of my bikes, I run 2010 Centaur shifters with Campy Triple FD. Works great. Chain practically leaps to big ring with just a touch of the shift lever.

Dave
05-13-2012, 06:08 PM
A common mistake that you could get by with with pre-2009 ergos (that had twelve clicks) is too little cable tension. The only downside is the shift from the little ring to the middle ring that should have been executed with one sweep of the finger lever (five clicks), took two sweeps.

With the newer shifters, there is no excess cable pull and you must have enough tension to get from the little ring to the big ring. Triple FDs tend to take more turns of the barrel adjuster to reach that tension, after pulling the cable tight and tightening the clamp bolt.

zmudshark
05-13-2012, 06:56 PM
The barrel cable adjuster was stripped. I ran a tap through it, and all is good now, thanks. I think that was the main problem, apart from routiong the cable like every other FD I have.

I've set up plenty of Campy drivetrains, but this, being my wife's, has been a bit more troublesome. I think I have all the details worked out. Thanks for the PDF, Dave. I downloaded a few, but missed that one. It actually explains it, as opposed to the docs that came with it.