PDA

View Full Version : wheelset question

yoshirider
05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
the Orbea Diva that i just got came with Mavic ES Anniversary edition wheels. i had purchased Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels before that so now i have the option to swap the Mavics for the cheaper Vueltas and sell the Mavics to get some money back. however, i'm wondering if the Mavics are much better wheels compared to the Vueltas. i'm a recreational/weekend rider for the most part and my main concerns are hills and headwind. the weight difference between these 2 wheelsets are <100g. can someone please shed some light on this? thanks!

bostondrunk
05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
The vuelta's will be more aero than the ksyriums, but that said, neither are very aero at all, so not much diff. in the headwind department.
As for weight, the Mavics will be roughly 100 grams lighter. Again, pretty much no noticeable difference.
Maybe sell both sets and get a new, somewhat all purpose set of aero wheels, like Mavic Cosmic Carbones, or one of the similar offerings from Shimano.

http://www.probikekit.com/ca/components/wheels/road-wheels/mavic-2012-cosmic-carbone-sl-wheelset.html

http://www.probikekit.com/ca/components/wheels/road-wheels/shimano-wh-rs80-c50-wheelset.html

eddief
05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
then it probably does not make much difference...if you know what I mean. my A23 wheels with C4 hubs and Sapim Race spokes are 24 front and 28 rear. They weigh about 1500 grams with skewers. I really enjoy the bit wider rims with 25mm tires. Not fancy, not super aero, just great all around ride. i am thinking more spokes may sometimes translate to more ride comfort. just a bit.

are carbones for the average weekend rider? don't think i'd foot that bill for wheels that weigh that much.

the Orbea Diva that i just got came with Mavic ES Anniversary edition wheels. i had purchased Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels before that so now i have the option to swap the Mavics for the cheaper Vueltas and sell the Mavics to get some money back. however, i'm wondering if the Mavics are much better wheels compared to the Vueltas. i'm a recreational/weekend rider for the most part and my main concerns are hills and headwind. the weight difference between these 2 wheelsets are <100g. can someone please shed some light on this? thanks!

bostondrunk
05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
then it probably does not make much difference...if you know what I mean. my A23 wheels with C4 hubs and Sapim Race spokes are 24 front and 28 rear. They weigh about 1500 grams with skewers. I really enjoy the bit wider rims with 25mm tires. Not fancy, not super aero, just great all around ride. i am thinking more spokes may sometimes translate to more ride comfort. just a bit.

are carbones for the average weekend rider? don't think i'd foot that bill for wheels that weigh that much.

Carbones, especially lightly used, can often be had cheaper than a new set of Ksyriums. Heavier? Yes. Faster? Yes.

yoshirider
05-13-2012, 08:39 PM
excellent thanks for the information guys. i guess i'll sell both sets

happycampyer
05-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Before you sell both sets, I would try to figure out what you want. I've always liked the ES's as far as factory-built clincher wheels go. Used, they typically fetch $400 - 500. I've never ridden the Vueltas, so I can't comment on their ride quality. If you sell both, you would probably need to come up with some additional cash for another set of wheels.

For a recreational rider, I would do what eddief suggested—ride both and see what you think (make sure you use the same make/model of tires, or else your comparison will be skewed).

eddief
05-13-2012, 09:23 PM
One might think that would suggest you are not too tall...and maybe a feather weight.

How about either the Comp $400 or Pro $600 build quoted here:

http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VeloCity_whls_road_ A23

Not zoot, probably just great wheels.

Jack Brunk
05-13-2012, 10:18 PM
seeing the drunk post.

Carry on.

yoshirider
05-15-2012, 12:37 PM
@eddief

how stiff are the Velocity A23's?

eddief
05-15-2012, 01:00 PM
i am a 190lb, 61 year old old fart. i do 50 mile undulating club rides at an 12 mph average. we have a lot of climbing and roads of all sorts here in the Bay Area. that said, over 20 bikes in the last 10 years over thousands of miles, i have no clue about stiffness as it relates to wheels.

every once in a while, i hear my computer magnet hit a spoke while climbing. that would suggest the front wheel is flexing some. no big deal in my book. but probably different for different riders.

@eddief

how stiff are the Velocity A23's?

FlashUNC
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
This is worth what you're paying for it, but I'd just keep the Mavics and be happy with them.

eddief
05-15-2012, 01:08 PM
+1

this is worth what you're paying for it, but i'd just keep the mavics and be happy with them.

yoshirider
05-15-2012, 01:32 PM
i wish i didnt look at this test: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html makes me want a carbon clincher

i don't weigh much so it doesnt matter to me if the wheels are that stiff, right? the only benefit i can think of is i ride over potholes quite frequently from not paying attention sometimes so its nice that the ES's are "bomb-proof" like some have said heheh

laupsi
05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
i wish i didnt look at this test: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html makes me want a carbon clincher

i don't weigh much so it doesnt matter to me if the wheels are that stiff, right? the only benefit i can think of is i ride over potholes quite frequently from not paying attention sometimes so its nice that the ES's are "bomb-proof" like some have said heheh

not true, stiff wheels benefit everyone providing you can handle them.

yoshirider
05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
hmmm so i've been looking at a lot of wheelsets and while the velocity a23's and blackset race 11's look like great wheels i think i'm going to shoot for the dura-ace WH-7850-C24-CL. problem is they seem difficult to come by?

CaptStash
05-18-2012, 02:43 PM
hmmm so i've been looking at a lot of wheelsets and while the velocity a23's and blackset race 11's look like great wheels i think i'm going to shoot for the dura-ace WH-7850-C24-CL. problem is they seem difficult to come by?

I got a pair on eBay a while back for around $500. You just have to lurk....

As to the subject at hand, as some have said, I would ride both. I had a pari of Ksyrium Elites, and swapped them out fot Ksyrium SL SSc's recently and noticed a huge difference. I was prepared to not like the SSC's and have to say I LOVE them. Very responsive and fun to ride. Certainly on a par with my Campy Eurus wheels. They don't spin up as quickly as the Dura Ace wheels is my only complaint.

YMMV

CaptStash....