PDA

View Full Version : Egg Beaters: Has anyone had any up/down play in the pedals?

weiwentg
05-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Not fore-aft or side to side. Up-down, like the cleat's going to pull out when you pull up on the pedals.

I just put a set of them for my CX bike. Slightly used race cleats that are new to me. The pedals are slightly used, 2005-ish era ones (2ti) that I had mothballed for a while. I never had a problem with the prior cleats (wore them out and tossed).

vjp
05-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I love my eggbeaters but there is a ton of slop. I use the cleats without the little shim that you can put between the cleat and shoe sole, I find that this way the pedal has a little "touch" on the sole and they feel more secure.

weiwentg
05-13-2012, 05:25 PM
I'd consider that but this is a carbon soled shoe. Maybe I just have to live with it or switch.

fourflys
05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
that's the reason I don't use crank brothers... even with new pedals/cleats/shims I couldn't get used to the up/down play... went back to my SPD's and have never looked back...

foo_fighter
05-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I personally have not noticed much play with candy's and sidis but they do sell sleeves to take out the slop:

http://singletrack.competitor.com/2012/03/bikes-tech/technical-faq/tech-faq-fine-tuning-entry-and-release-with-crank-brothers-pedals_30084

Jawn P
05-13-2012, 07:54 PM
They're toast. The spring has lost some tension and there's no way to get it back. Those sleeves haven't worked well for me personally.

Try to fudge a warranty? I ended up moving away from crank brothers after a few bad experiences with pedals wearing out in ~1 month and me pulling out of the pedals at very inopportune times.

Dekonick
05-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Now, I know the purists will say otherwise... but Time ATAC's are my favorite pedal. A little heavy, mountain bike design, but they work great. I use them on every bike I own and the trainer as well. Haven't tired eggbeaters so don't know about that, but having used many other designs I love my Time's.

dustyrider
05-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Now, I know the purists will say otherwise... but Time ATAC's are my favorite pedal. A little heavy, mountain bike design, but they work great. I use them on every bike I own and the trainer as well. Haven't tired eggbeaters so don't know about that, but having used many other designs I love my Time's.

I've got a 12 year old pair of Time pedals that just finally showed their age, as the left pedal has some slop on the spindle and needs to be rebuilt. I've used them for every type of biking imaginable, in all conditions, and never serviced them, ever. The right one is still as good as the day I bought them. I'm putting off figuring out how to service the Times for a summer time project.

Crank Brothers on the other hand, not gonna touch their stuff ever again!
But, I bet a call in to them will get you on another set, they're real good at customer service, since they've got so much practice. Hope you get it all sorted.

Rekalcitrant
05-13-2012, 10:06 PM
I had a pair that had noticeably play. Worse: after relatively low mileage (1000 miles max) Both springs broke! I was very lucky to be close to home each time. That was enough for me to switch pedal systems.

Jack Brunk
05-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I have thousands of miles on mine and if you lub them and take care of them they will last a long long time. They were made for riders like me who take care of their equipment.

AgilisMerlin
05-14-2012, 05:26 AM
I have used them. very easy/pleasant engagement.

please purchase the thin plate for underneath cleat. your shoes will love you for it.

nice design and enjoyed the float. eventually went back to frogs. now back on generic shimano.

the bottle ride
05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
My biggest gripe with eggbeaters is if you push down hard enough (landing for example) the retention system opens and can release your cleat- it is the nature of the design.

I can not say I crashed because of the design- but it was unsettling.

I used them for 2 years when I was more concerned with weight on the race bike- but went back to Shimano because I think they are the best pedals: platform, great engagement, never any real issues with mud and readily availble.

Gat64
05-14-2012, 11:03 AM
I find I have to replace the cleat every year (after 6K km). They seems to wear quickly which causes the up/down movement. Once the new cleats are on, all snug again!