PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: DeSavlo Rides Again, Stanton Street & pic for Fourflys

Viper
05-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Slept very well last night after a good ride yesterday. It was warm this morning and I waited patiently for the temperature to rise. I wanted it hot, medium well. I love the heat and enjoy the sunshine. Always. Especially when it comes to exercise.

I watched the Giro this morning on the internet, pulled the FUSO onto the patio for it's pre-ride inspection, clean and lube. Last minute I decided...I have not ridden the DeSalvo in a long time. It had spider webs and dust all over it. Flat tires. It looked sad; I've had a long project at work which has kept me off the bike, pulled me away from riding and pushed me more towards the gym. Today was DeSalvo Day. And pink Giordana Giro socks. I love wool.

I also prepped the Campy Care Box I will send to thwart and the Bike Care Box that is en route to SteveinSLO. They both get some bike treats and vintage, 90's Playboys.

The DeSalvo needed a full tune-up and I gave it to her as the temperature reached into the mid-70's. I pumped up the near-new Fortezza TriComps as my neighbor's cat stopped by to say hello. I am a dog man, but this cat is cool. She was, as a kitten, scooped up by a hawk as the neighbors watched their kitten pulled away by a dragon with feathers. The kitten must've scratched her way out of the hawk's claws, because the hawk let go of her from above the tree tops. Then the kitten bounched off the oak tree's branches, landed on the ground and scurried into the woods, not to be seen for months.

Sometime later, the kitten went back to her owner's home, badly infected and near-death. There are three people who can pet the now-grown cat, it's two owners and me. I comb her, feed her milk and when I have a BBQ, she gets salmon, turkey burgers, chicken and steak.

Detailing the DeSalvo on the workstand I smirked and smiled when I saw the New Year's Day I had painted above Mike's own stamp. This explains the reference:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51472&highlight=DeSalvo

I headed out for my ride, curious to see how I'd feel after yesterday's hard ride. I wound up at Stanton Street. It's the steepest hill in my town and it reminds me of the final moutain from the Three State Three Mountain Challenge, Burkhalter Gap. Oh it's not nearly as long, but it's just as angry. Back when I was training for the 3S3M Challenge, I used to climb Stanton ten times in a row. I thought I would try that today.

I asked myself after the fifth repeat if it was the heat. I was shot and about to hurl my breakfast, pumpernickel toast, grape juice and coffee. I stopped at number five and proceeded out to the flats along the Long Island Sound. I laughed looking at the name of the cross street atop Stanton, Summit Avenue.

Wow, is everything so green and blue because of the new Oakley's? Apparently not, all the trees and grasses are that green and the water was quite blue.

I took it easy out to the USCG Station, Eaton's Neck. I had to stop by there for work related reasons. The one-mile road to the Station has some really neat property, deer, horses and some much-needed shade to help cool down.

Eating pizza twice in two days isn't my thing, but I think after 40 miles, my body was screaming to get off the bike and I was craving some comfort food. There's a pizza place on the way home and they have the best margarita pizza. I raced home, I'd like to watch the back nine of The Player's Championship, enjoy one good beer and get ready for the Ranger's game. Tomorrow I won't go near the bikes. It's Mother's Day. Family, food and get fat with some good homemade cooking.

There's a photo below for fourflys, who graduated college and is now a stud.

fourflys
05-12-2012, 04:41 PM
awesome! A DeSalvo is on my very short list for when I come down from Alaska...

Nice Pic and thanks again!

Chris

thwart
05-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Nice stable... a DeSalvo and a Dave Moulton Fuso. Choices, choices...

Another great ride write-up. Sounds like the legs are coming back.

jghall
05-12-2012, 11:01 PM
As always, enjoy the story that comes along with the ride.

cycle_chic
05-12-2012, 11:43 PM
1. Nice socks.
2. Hot weather is best.
3. Cat story was awesome/epic.

bobswire
05-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Nice bikes,especially the DeSalvo, nice ride, pizza is yummy and acceptable but only after a good workout. I like cats too but my girlfriend has asthma so cats are a no no around the house.

Viper
05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Nice stable... a DeSalvo and a Dave Moulton Fuso. Choices, choices...

Another great ride write-up. Sounds like the legs are coming back.

There is a direct relationship to my skin's tan and my fitness. Yesterday was my first burn. Thanks for the compact crankset, it'll help with uphill rpms. Ordered this:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.php?PART_NUM_SUB='0205-13'

And some retro-white Campy cables for the FUSO. Will make her faster, better on Friday.

PS: There was a thread about what songs you hear when on the bike. When I am climbing, out of the saddle and barely moving, I hear and sometimes hum this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdTxrCJ1mc

TT for 8 miles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIVvOqBHps

When I am blasted, burnt and high on the bike, I sing this aloud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=key9O9UoYDA

Would like to make my Railroad song a faster-paced version.

:beer: