PDA

View Full Version : OT: Today is the day...

fourflys
05-12-2012, 09:48 AM
After graduating high school 19 years ago, I have the honor of walking across the stage and graduating from the University of Phoenix today! I actually still have two classes to complete by the end of June but...

I have been fortunate to have the honor of the Coast Guard paying me to go to school for the last two years. I've been amazed at what I've learned and picked up that wasn't in a book... I'm sure most of this forum went to college right out of HS, but for someone who didn't I have really enjoyed the knowledge I have gained these last two years and am sure it will serve me well...

Chris (now I have to actually go back to work... in ALASKA!)
:banana:

akelman
05-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Congratulations, Chris. That's awesome.

Viper
05-12-2012, 10:13 AM
:beer:

Congrats dude.

onsight512
05-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Congratulations Chris.

cat6
05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Hayrick Island (68°42′S 67°32′WCoordinates: 68°42′S 67°32′W) is a small prominent rock mass, more than 150 metres (500 ft) high, between Lodge Rock and Twig Rock in the Terra Firma Islands, off the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica.

Steve in SLO
05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
Good on ya'!

BumbleBeeDave
05-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Congratulations, Chris!

:hello::hello::hello:

BBD

rwsaunders
05-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I attended my Dad's college graduation when I was eight years old and it is one memory that I will always cherish. His education was the courtesy of the Marine Corps via the GI Bill, similar to yours.

Congratulations to you, as your family is surely proud as well.:banana:

nighthawk
05-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Congrats Chris!
...The parallels to my own life are interesting... I graduated HS 15 years ago... but just finished my first year of college. It's been an interesting, challenging and rewarding experience... I don't regret at all the decision to wait to go to school... When I'm done in 3 more years (ugh).. I'll be pursuing grad school in the pacific northwest with the intention of working in Alaska. (I work for the US Fish and Wildlife Service now, and want to be a wildlife biologist up in that region)...

What work is bringing you to Alaska?

Cheers!

firerescuefin
05-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Big Ups Chris:cool:

bozman
05-12-2012, 11:48 AM
that is awesome.

Jaq
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Many, many congratulations.

benitosan1972
05-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I recently returned to school after a 20-yr hiatus,
Congrats to you & thanks for being an inspiration to us dropout geezers! :beer:

pdmtong
05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Congratulations and no regraets on the timing., in fact one could argue you got more out of college later in life since you were better able to really learn, instead of simply study, and perhaps less distracted by women, booze, and all the other things that cloud life at age 20.

67-59
05-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Another hearty congrats!:banana:

learningtoride
05-12-2012, 03:30 PM

pedlpwrd
05-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Congradulations! So glad you've shared this great day with us!

azrider
05-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Respect

BillG
05-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Thats wonderful!

fourflys
05-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Congrats Chris!
...The parallels to my own life are interesting... I graduated HS 15 years ago... but just finished my first year of college. It's been an interesting, challenging and rewarding experience... I don't regret at all the decision to wait to go to school... When I'm done in 3 more years (ugh).. I'll be pursuing grad school in the pacific northwest with the intention of working in Alaska. (I work for the US Fish and Wildlife Service now, and want to be a wildlife biologist up in that region)...

What work is bringing you to Alaska?

Cheers!

thanks, I have no regrets waiting on college... I had thought about it after high school and the only reasons I could think to go was all friends were going and it sounded fun...

The Coast Guard is taking me to Alaska... I'll be the senior Independent Duty Corpsman (medic) for the District/state...

good luck you!

fourflys
05-12-2012, 04:02 PM
thanks for all the well wishes all! I only shared it here because I think of this forum as extended family...

fourflys
05-12-2012, 04:02 PM
I recently returned to school after a 20-yr hiatus,
Congrats to you & thanks for being an inspiration to us dropout geezers! :beer:

awesome! Good Luck, it's worth it! and thanks!

nighthawk
05-12-2012, 04:08 PM
thanks, I have no regrets waiting on college... I had thought about it after high school and the only reasons I could think to go was all friends were going and it sounded fun...

The Coast Guard is taking me to Alaska... I'll be the senior Independent Duty Corpsman (medic) for the District/state...

good luck you!

That's so awesome. Congratulations again. See you up there in 4 years, ha!

fourflys
05-12-2012, 04:45 PM
That's so awesome. Congratulations again. See you up there in 4 years, ha!

sounds good!

BTW- I just built myself up a Ritchey Breakaway Cross as a graduation present... since I'll be travelling around the state a bit, I figured I needed a travel bike... :D

fourflys
05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
thought I'd add a couple of pics, what good is a thread without pics??

This is inspiration and biggest supporter, my beautiful wife
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Family/The-Family/i-tRVfrt4/0/M/IMG2595-M.jpg

me and my beautiful girls
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Family/The-Family/i-6DscwVR/0/M/IMG2591-M.jpg

and me in my Hakkalugi shirt my wife got me, along with some other stuff
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/i-mNJJCxQ/0/M/IMG2598-M.jpg

Bud_E
05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Nice going. That's a great accomplishment. Good luck going forward.

Nice looking family too!

MattTuck
05-12-2012, 05:34 PM
you know who else didn't go to college after high school? most of the pro peloton ;)

Nice job Chris, that is awesome. You should be very proud of yourself. Since you're going to Alaska and won't see most of the people again, I think you should streak the graduation... unfortunately they might be able to ID you based on your 'cycling tan' edit: didn't see the pictures in time. I guess the ceremony already happened. Nice job keeping it classy ;)

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-12-2012, 05:37 PM
"I've been amazed at what I've learned and picked up that wasn't in a book... "

It's called being "street". Or street smart. Common sense. And it's better than what any school can teach, IMO. The combination of school and street smarts make for a well balanced person, who can deal with adversity, and bumps in the road. Not the folks who come out of school with this entitled attitude, zero work ethic and holier than thou attitude. Congrats!!!!!!! The world is your oyster.

alpsantos
05-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Right on....congratulations!

Fiertetimestwo
05-13-2012, 02:54 AM
Congratulations from Australia. Well done- nice pictures, and great shirt! Where did your wife get it from?

fourflys
05-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Congratulations from Australia. Well done- nice pictures, and great shirt! Where did your wife get it from?

thanks! The shirt came from the Ibis website: http://store.ibiscycles.com/body-parts-c5.aspx

roguedog
05-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Belated congrats! Be proud and that's a great looking family ya got there. Go you!

:hello: :hello:

What was your major..or did I miss that?

fourflys
05-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Belated congrats! Be proud and that's a great looking family ya got there. Go you!

:hello: :hello:

What was your major..or did I miss that?

thanks! I got a Bachelors of Science in Business Management... not sure what I'll do with it since I hopefully have 11 more years in the Coast Guard (if they let me do 30 total), but I enjoyed getting it!

d.vader123
05-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Congrats!!! and thank you for serving the people of this country through your work.

William
05-13-2012, 03:43 PM
After graduating high school 19 years ago, I have the honor of walking across the stage and graduating from the University of Phoenix today! I actually still have two classes to complete by the end of June but...

I have been fortunate to have the honor of the Coast Guard paying me to go to school for the last two years. I've been amazed at what I've learned and picked up that wasn't in a book... I'm sure most of this forum went to college right out of HS, but for someone who didn't I have really enjoyed the knowledge I have gained these last two years and am sure it will serve me well...

Chris (now I have to actually go back to work... in ALASKA!)
:banana:

Chris, Congratulations!!

Having also been an OTAS, I understand exactly what you are saying. Sometimes some real life experience in between High School and college gives one a much better perspective, focus, and drive in obtaining their education.

All the best to you in the future!
William