PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is Costco's Kirkland brand acetamyophine the same as Tylenol

Kingfisher
05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I usually take extra strength tylenol for aches/pains and noticed that Costco sells their own Kirkland brand of "non aspirin acetamyophine" in lieu of the brand name Extra strength Tylenol....is is the same thing?? It's less that half the price of brand name.

dave thompson
05-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Yes, it's the generic version, made to the same formulation.

MattTuck
05-11-2012, 04:03 PM
acetaminophen is tylenol, NOT aspirin. it would be equivilent to tylenol, not equivalent to aspirin, which is made of something called acetylsalicylic acid.

Should have paid attention in chemistry class :no::p

tuxbailey
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
For OTC drugs, Costco has price that simply can't be beat.

I have to buy Children's Zyrtec for my daughter and local's supermarket's generic brand is $8.99 for 4 fl oz. Costco's Kirkland's? $10.99 for 16 fl oz. Exact same stuff.

I think their membership is worth it even if you just buy OTC drug and toilet paper.

jlwdm
05-11-2012, 04:35 PM
acetaminophen is tylenol, NOT aspirin. it would be equivilent to tylenol, not equivalent to aspirin, which is made of something called acetylsalicylic acid.

Should have paid attention in chemistry class :no::p

??????????

Jeff

crownjewelwl
05-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Same compound...different manufacturer

Likely made by perrigo that makes most private label Otc drugs

JNJ will tell you that they're manufacturing processes are better but remember you couldn't by children's tylenol for several months a year or two ago because of an unexplained odor in the product...

craptacular
05-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't worry too much unless the acetaminophen was made by one of the hundreds of thousand of kids taking Organic Chem lab. Even then, it came out okay, most of the time...