PDA

View Full Version : super lightweight arm warmer recommendations?

54ny77
05-11-2012, 03:13 PM
looking for something thin & lightweight, an easy peel off after early start temps in the 50s/60s but just a bit of chill. thanks.

rwsaunders
05-11-2012, 03:34 PM
I use a pair of DeFeet warmers (not wool) which are fine in that temperature range...I think that they run about $15-20.

http://www.defeet.com/60209/Arm-Coverings.html

tannhauser
05-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Any number of guys make so called arm coolers - I have Defeets (don't like but work ok), DeSotos, and Crafts.

67-59
05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I find that the Specialized arm warmers are considerably lighter than other brands I've tried, such as PI.

EDS
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Capo has (or at least had, as I have a pair) a lycra model that would fit the bill.

54ny77
05-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks all, appreciate the 1sthand experience/comments.

rnhood
05-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I have the Capo, DeSoto and Assos. The Capo are the lightest and thinnest (pure lycra). DeSoto are arm coolers and only slightly work for mitigating the cool morning air. But they work over a wide temperature range. The Assos are run of the mill arm warmers. Not bad and not great.

scooter
05-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I might suggest the Assos, DeSoto, or Pearl Izumi lycra sun sleeves. They're white, so they go with most kits, and they give you some long sleeve warmth and SPF 50 to boot. When they get too hot, you can peel them off. I find them serviceable for me from the mid 50's. I can wear them into the low 70's before I get too warm. They aren't roubaix fabric (no fleece), they're just light synthetic.

benitosan1972
05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
As others have said, Capo makes good lightweight warmers, I'd like to add that Pearl Izumi Pro model as well as Sugoi, Voler, and Adidas are really good & lightweight. I like the arm grippers, a snug fit, and the length coverage of all these brands.

Brian Cdn
05-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Try Funkier for arm warmers.

Really nicely made. terrific sublimation and are lightweight.

I got mine from longscycle.com

Being in the cycling garment design biz, I have and use Giordana, Castelli, Primal Wear and Louis Garneau. The Funkier are much, much better with flat lock stitching and soft gel grippers that keep the arms from slipping off the biceps. They are like a second skin once on.

Highly recommended... (imho)

happycampyer
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
If you're looking for something in-between a roubaix fabric and plain lycra, I've found the Castelli Nano warmers to be perfect. More wind protection than anything else. I have the knee warmers, but not the arm warmers. If you want get a sense of different models of arm warmers, I could bring a bunch to the shop tomorrow for you to check out.

54ny77
05-11-2012, 11:28 PM
thanks happycampyer but i'm in so cal. early morning coastal fog out here is cool high 50's/60's but then sun pops a few hours later and it's 70's. brought my east coast fall/winter arm warmers, woops!

enjoy the sat. ride. :cool:

If you're looking for something in-between a roubaix fabric and plain lycra, I've found the Castelli Nano warmers to be perfect. More wind protection than anything else. I have the knee warmers, but not the arm warmers. If you want get a sense of different models of arm warmers, I could bring a bunch to the shop tomorrow for you to check out.

jpw
05-12-2012, 03:09 AM
You could try the Assos UV 'arm protectors' (they're not 'warmers'). They're very thin.

jlwdm
05-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Capo. I really like the arm warmers and coolers.

Jeff

gone
05-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I've got a couple of pairs of the Pearl Izumi sun screens. They've changed them this year so they're even lighter and they're noticeably cooler. I wear them fairly often, mostly for a "little" warmth on cool but not cold mornings and they work very well for that purpose.

Gummee
05-12-2012, 10:55 AM
IDK if they still make em, but Voler had some lycra arm warmers in their catalog a few years back. Use em for the same temp range (bought em while living in Sandy Eggo) as the OP.

M

torquer
05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
I've been wearing a pair of Pearl Izumi "Sun Sleeve" arm warmers that work great for 60 degree mornings or evenings when long sleeves or fleece-backed arm warmers are too much:
http://www.rei.com/product/828585/pearl-izumi-sun-sleeve-arm-warmers

For minimal protection, I also have a pair of Garneau arm warmers that are super-light, more for UV protection, but do provide some wind blocking; not sure if these are the same, but they're the lightest on Garneau's site:
http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/product/305516/1083062/WarmersHats/MATRIX_ARM

fiamme red
05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
I like Kucharik's Coolmax arm warmers: http://www.kucharikclothing.com/arm-warmers-coolmax-lycra-colors-p-303.html

19wisconsin64
05-15-2012, 06:39 AM
i ride the Craft white ones if i'm ever riding between 11 am and 3 pm....in white. they have uv protection, protect against chill, and also keep you cooler in the hot months as they white reflects heat away and keep your blood cooler (yup, this works)

they can get dirty more easily, but the many benefits are offset

beeatnik
05-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I like the basic Assos summer arm protectors:

http://www.assos.com/en/25/products.aspx?cat=6,19,31,49

I picked them up for the UV protection but I wear them on those overcast (june gloom) mornings that start in the low to mid 50s and end in the low to mid 70s. The fabric feels pretty technical and doesn't stain easily.