PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone put a starter pistol or gun in their S&S case?

akelman
05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Apparently, this is a done thing. As in, some people, when they check their S&S case (or their cello case, or their camera equipment case, or whatever it is that they don't want baggage handlers to open and then possibly damage or destroy), inform the airline that there's a starter pistol or a gun in the case. The case is then inspected (one assumes) and locked. It apparently cannot then be unlocked until it's returned to the passenger at the end of the flight.

Is this accurate? Has anyone done this? If so, is it complicated? Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks!

DRZRM
05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I've never done it, but I read about it (here? Photo forum?) and priced Amazon's cheapest starter pistol, seems like a small price to pay.

http://www.amazon.com/C-A-Caliber-Starter-Pistol/dp/B002VLHHD4/ref=sr_1_23?s=team-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1336753643&sr=1-23

Apparently, this is a done thing. As in, some people, when they check their S&S case (or their cello case, or their camera equipment case, or whatever it is that they don't want baggage handlers to open and then possibly damage or destroy), inform the airline that there's a starter pistol or a gun in the case. The case is then inspected (one assumes) and locked. It apparently cannot then be unlocked until it's returned to the passenger at the end of the flight.

Is this accurate? Has anyone done this? If so, is it complicated? Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks!

akelman
05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I've never done it, but I read about it (here? Photo forum?) and priced Amazon's cheapest starter pistol, seems like a small price to pay.

http://www.amazon.com/C-A-Caliber-Starter-Pistol/dp/B002VLHHD4/ref=sr_1_23?s=team-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1336753643&sr=1-23

Look, you girl's blouse, if I'm getting a gun anyway, it's sure as hell going to be one of these (http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/smith-wesson/500-revolver-500swmag-8.375in-5rd-stainless/).

FlashUNC
05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Even that's amateur hour...

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/images/loaded-desert-eagle-web.jpg

DRZRM
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Well, I suppose that is the other way to go. Seriously, packed bike boxes get pretty close to the 50 lbs. mark, find a plastic starter gun if you go this route.

Good luck Tex.

akelman
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Even that's amateur hour...

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/images/loaded-desert-eagle-web.jpg

If that fits in an S&S case, I'm so doing it.

Peter B
05-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Look, you girl's blouse, if I'm getting a gun anyway, it's sure as hell going to be one of these (http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/smith-wesson/500-revolver-500swmag-8.375in-5rd-stainless/).

This isn't the contentiousness thread is it?? Geez Ari, you having a bad week??

akelman
05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Geez Ari, you having a bad week??

Have you seen how windy it is out there? AGAIN?!!!?

Peter B
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Builds. Mental. Fortitude.

Mike748
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I can't see where this would prevent pilferage. It's not like the TSA puts a sticker on it "gun inside, do not open". There is just the added step at check in of having them verify the gun is unloaded and secure.

Vinci
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM
From what I've read, the benefit is that TSA keeps a lot better track of luggage containing a checked weapon. They don't care if they lose your socks and pants, but losing a weapon is a big deal.

Louis
05-11-2012, 12:51 PM
From what I've read, the benefit is that TSA keeps a lot better track of luggage containing a checked weapon. They don't care if they lose your socks and pants, but losing a weapon is a big deal.

Wow, if more and more people do this even guns will loose their impact, and we'll have to start adding baggies full of anthrax.

Joachim
05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
I think Ari wants to put the largest (legal) gun possible in his case. I think they will keep track of a semi-automatic.

19wisconsin64
05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
my team just hosted an event. we used a 115 decibel whistle. cover your ears when you blow, because it's so loud your ears will ring. we had timed events, multi-lap races, ....lots of starts for a big field.

why even try to have them stop your luggage? not worth it.

did i mention how loud the whistle was....it's all one might ever need as far as volume.

Louis
05-11-2012, 01:16 PM
The TSA has lots of rules, but I don't think that even they worry about whistles in your S&S case, in which case I don't think it will serve the intended purpose.

DRZRM
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
The point is that when you turn over a bag with a gun in it (or a fake gun) you lock the case, and keep the key. This much is true, my friend is a cop and says flying with a gun is cake, and it keeps anyone from opening his bag. If they want to look, they check at the gate before the bag is locked. Once it is locked you get the key, they cannot open it during travel, that is why it helps. They can't unpack your bike box. That said, I don't know anyone who actually does it.

tannhauser
05-11-2012, 01:28 PM

I thought you were working on riding in the drops...

Dunno about the gun thing. I regularly schlep a 10" chef's knife in my checked baggage.

akelman
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
tannhauser brings a knife to a gun fight.

bagochips3
05-11-2012, 03:39 PM
The point is that when you turn over a bag with a gun in it (or a fake gun) you lock the case, and keep the key. This much is true, my friend is a cop and says flying with a gun is cake, and it keeps anyone from opening his bag. If they want to look, they check at the gate before the bag is locked. Once it is locked you get the key, they cannot open it during travel, that is why it helps. They can't unpack your bike box. That said, I don't know anyone who actually does it.

This. It makes it very unlikely that the TSA will lose/tamper with/steal any of your gear en route.

http://lifehacker.com/5448014/pack-a-gun-to-protect-valuables-from-airline-theft-or-loss

I've always managed to carry on my photo gear, but if I had to check it, I would get a cheap starter pistol for the added peace of mind.

BumbleBeeDave
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
. . . in route anyway? If somebody wants to steal your bike--and they know it's a bike in there-they can just steal the whole box and break in at their leisure.

I have a Trico box but have not used it for years because TSA won't let me watch while they open and search it. Everything fits in there like a 3D puzzle and if they don't position everything juuuust right when they close it back up, I get my box back at destination with bent derailleur, etc.--and they have absolutely no accountability for any damage they do.

If my carrying a gun in there means they make ME open it at trip beginning of trip to inspect, then they lock it up in my presence so I can make sure they don't eff it uip, then it would be worth it to throw that cheap starter pistol in there.

BBD

UKBROOKLYN
05-11-2012, 07:23 PM
That has to be the dumbest idea in a long time.. You really want to get on an FBI list and start getting frisked all the time.. then go ahead put a starter pistol in your case. The TSA/FBI will read it as a potential dry run and you will be on their lists for the rest of your life. These people don't have the training or accumen to discern between you and a potential terrorist.. They will flag you "Just in case" and then every time you show up at an airport anywhere in the world you are a potential risk and liable to be searched...

Pretty soon they will be checking in shorts...

akelman
05-11-2012, 07:28 PM
. . . in route anyway? If somebody wants to steal your bike--and they know it's a bike in there-they can just steal the whole box and break in at their leisure.

I have a Trico box but have not used it for years because TSA won't let me watch while they open and search it. Everything fits in there like a 3D puzzle and if they don't position everything juuuust right when they close it back up, I get my box back at destination with bent derailleur, etc.--and they have absolutely no accountability for any damage they do.

If my carrying a gun in there means they make ME open it at trip beginning of trip to inspect, then they lock it up in my presence so I can make sure they don't eff it uip, then it would be worth it to throw that cheap starter pistol in there.

BBD

Yeah, this was my point all along, BBD. I'm not worried about theft or the bike getting lost; I'm worried about someone, someone who doesn't know what s/he's doing, opening the case and moving stuff around so that it can only be closed again by destroying a wheel or whatever. If bringing a starter's pistol will keep that from happening, count me in.

akelman
05-11-2012, 07:29 PM
That has to be the dumbest idea in a long time.. You really want to get on an FBI list and start getting frisked all the time.. then go ahead put a starter pistol in your case. The TSA/FBI will read it as a potential dry run and you will be on their lists for the rest of your life. These people don't have the training or accumen to discern between you and a potential terrorist.. They will flag you "Just in case" and then every time you show up at an airport anywhere in the world you are a potential risk and liable to be searched...

Deep breaths, brother, deep breaths.

Louis
05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Ship it UPS or FedEx. Can't be any worse than the handling it will get from the airlines and you can lock it as securely as you'd like.

akelman
05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Ship it UPS or FedEx. Can't be any worse than the handling it will get from the airlines and you can lock it as securely as you'd like.

And you couldn't give me this sage advice before I bought a coupled bike? Why do you hate me, Louis? WHY?!!!?

akelman
05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
More seriously, shipping a complete bike is expensive -- ~$100 each way these days, if you insure for full value -- and nowhere near as convenient as bringing a coupled bike along for the trip. Not to mention, shipping a complete bike is a recipe for real problems -- loss, damage, finding oneself on FBI watch lists -- so we're back to the coupled bike as a reasonable solution to a real problem. Or at least I think that's the case.

nighthawk
05-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Actually, people fly pretty often with guns. That's why there are rules about how they are handled on flights:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Louis
05-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Now you'll really like me:

I've discovered the hard way that traveling with a bike is a pita. (I'm talking full size, I've never tried it with a coupled bike)

I've also concluded that unless I'm going to be there for a long time, it's best to just ride what's locally available, even if it's not exactly what I would usually use.

54ny77
05-11-2012, 07:52 PM
I've gone back & forth country a handful of times in the past couple months or so with a bike hard case and was very polite with the TSA agents each way, asking them if they mind that I watch while they open and inspect. Two said no problem, and actually let me do the opening and re-packing, and 1 did it himself while I watched but he was very careful about it and did a great job.

That's better than a couple years ago, where they told me to go pound sand and take a hike, then later proceeded to break the water bottle boss on the downtube....:mad:

I got so sick of all this bike travel crap that I just bought another bike to keep at the location where I travel to most. An expensive proposition, but it generally paid for itself based on the number of trips I am making, not to mention takes away the stress and sheer hassle: having to get to airport very very early to get checked in, and in a manner that ain't easy, i.e., not all taxis can schlep a bike hard case.

BBD

UKBROOKLYN
05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I am very sure many people fly much of the time with guns.. But for the average Joe the risk to being put on a list is high. With the data mining stuff that the NSA is using to monitor all our emails and phone calls.. it just does not make sense to me to add a gun to your luggage. You are dreaming if you think they don't record that info. and on the strength of it start monitoring your emails et al... The NYPD is sending officers into New Jersey to record the movements of anybody with a slight sun tan, with no evidence of anything.. so a gun in your luggage.. woo wooo red lights flashing..... You would be surprised what can trigger a no fly notice.

Think I am paranoid.. OK take the gun in your luggage... I will wave at you as I pass through security next time when they are padding you down and giving you the third degree..

Louis
05-11-2012, 08:59 PM
I am very sure many people fly much of the time with guns.. But for the average Joe the risk to being put on a list is high. With the data mining stuff that the NSA is using to monitor all our emails and phone calls.. it just does not make sense to me to add a gun to your luggage. You are dreaming if you think they don't record that info. and on the strength of it start monitoring your emails et al...

Too late.

All of this doesn't really matter now. Ari's already on the TSA ***** list just for thinking about this "pistol in the S&S case stuff." Besides, he's a known trouble-maker. (Exhibit A: See the "argument" thread) His only hope is that they confuse him with the other AKelman, and let him slip through. If I were Ari, I would lie low for a few years, and maybe they'll forget about the whole thing.

nighthawk
05-11-2012, 09:20 PM
You think Ari is stocking that bunker full of silver campy goods for nothin? Some people need canned goods and water... some people need Campy Alloy.... it's just survival, really.

UKBROOKLYN
05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Perhaps he just wants them to check his shorts... some people will do anything for a date...

akelman
05-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Is that a alloy Chorus rear derailleur in your shorts, or are you just happy to see me? (Also, UNBROOKLYN, I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that I wasn't taking you seriously. The surveillance state is actually an interest of mine. It's just that I think, as someone mentioned upthread, that enough people fly with guns that the TSA has procedures in place to handle the situation. Anyway, I hear that Gitmo is nice this time of year.)

Louis
05-11-2012, 09:47 PM
You think Ari is stocking that bunker full of silver campy goods for nothin? Some people need canned goods and water... some people need Campy Alloy.... it's just survival, really.

An exercise in futility.

A few years from now Campy will change their standard, and all that stuff will be obsolete. I saw the movie "The Road." Ari will be roaming the land, searching for an LBS with the right parts, but there will be none to be found. I think that house with all those folks locked down in the basement actually was OldPotatoe's shop in Boulder.

UKBROOKLYN
05-11-2012, 10:52 PM
enough people fly with guns that the TSA has procedures in place to handle the situation.

The key line here is "procedures in place" Its those very "procedures" that I worry about.

The Road. more like Road Warrior in a dystopian future where people wear bits of campy derailleurs around their necks and spin an old campy wheel to choose the next victim who will have to ride the dreaded Sramano machine...

Louis
05-11-2012, 11:03 PM
More like Blade Runner. I can imagine Shimano in these scenes.

Somehow I can't see Campy.

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/Bladerunner02.jpg

http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/images/brstreet.jpg

http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bladerunner.jpg