PDA

View Full Version : OT Upcoming Time (magazine) cover

wc1934
05-10-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't know about this one - But it is on the cover of Time, so it will be debated.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/05/time-cover-shows-3-year-old-breast-feeding/

rugbysecondrow
05-10-2012, 07:51 PM
What you don't see is me sitting in a chair waiting for my turn.

Louis
05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Meh.

The La Leche League folks can battle that one out.

45K10
05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
My friend breastfed her daughter till she was well over 3 years old. To each their own especially when it come to raising one's child but it was a little strange to see the kid walk up, ask and lift up my friends shirt so she could get an impromptu snack.

zetroc
05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure why so many people are still afraid of breasts. Maybe it comes from having them shoved in our faces as children.

echelon_john
05-10-2012, 08:06 PM
living in vermont, such mid-air refueling is not uncommon. the pose on the cover is clearly designed to---guess what---engender controversy and sell magazines. it's not like Time is flying off the shelves...

frankly, i'm a lot more annoyed by parents who would rather be friends with their kids than set boundaries than by people who extend breast feeding.

My friend breastfed her daughter till she was well over 3 years old. To each their own especially when it come to raising one's child but it was a little strange to see the kid walk up, ask and lift up my friends shirt so she could get an impromptu snack.

ultraman6970
05-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Well the thing is good unless this happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBVJMfUjbs

cycle_chic
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I think breast-feeding is great. A lot of the formulas on the market are nastyyy.

echelon_john
05-10-2012, 08:08 PM
what? you don't like drywall dust and formica countertops in your milk?

ugh.

I think breast-feeding is great. A lot of the formulas on the market are nastyyy.

Viper
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Great Debate.
Women's Rights.
The Baby's needs.
Nature and Need versus (some) Public Visual Shock and Outrage.

First time this issue occured to me was in 1989, age 19, when a fellow Lifeguard at the YMCA, during break, began to breast feed her newborn baby. We were in a very small Lifeguard Room. I excused myself and left the mom/child alone. I was shocked for a moment, it was simply a visual surprise. Inwardly I knew it was completely normal, Life Simply Living.

Most likely many of us breastfed and we ought to tamper down the noise of anti-public breastfeeding. Babies don't know clocks, rooms, people or places.

It's kinda funny. Those who are pro-abortion, will also be pro-public breastfeeding (gotcha) but what is funny are the conservatives who are anti-abortion, pro-life...yet they gotta have even more to say about how the baby eats?

Let the kids eat!

Breaks the issues/Laws down by State:

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

I'd vote YES to this Law:

President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, H.R. 3590, on March 23 and the Reconciliation Act of 2010, H.R. 4872, on March 30, 2010. (See the combined full text of Public Laws 111-148 and 111-152 here.) Among many provisions, Section 4207 of the law amends the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 (29 U.S. Code 207) to require an employer to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk. The employer is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk. If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs fewer than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements. The federal requirements shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees.

Liv2RideHard
05-10-2012, 08:11 PM

In what way are they nasty? Do explain please.

William
05-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Put the jersey down and walk away.....

William:p

rounder
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
The girl was pretty. The kid was old (9).

Wrong sory. The kid was only 3. Still seems a little old to be doing that, to me.

54ny77
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC2teMi1nZg

William
05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Reminds me of a forum classic.....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2631&highlight=breast+milk

William

Viper
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
There are some crazy-arse folks, mom's who breastfeed their 15 year old or even older:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=mother+breastfeeding+15+year+old&oq=mother+breastfeeding+&aq=2&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.2.0l4.240640.250175.1.253100.32.17.2.10. 11.2.160.1690.9j7.17.0...0.0.4sEb--PPczA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6b4b1bdf32659c2&biw=1093&bih=479

(funny comment seen on the internet comments of TIME's magazine cover '3 year old breastfeeding', "it'll be about fourteen more years before he sucks another one" LOL).

junkfood
05-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Full of high fructose corn syrup (35-45% of total volume) for one. It contains chemicals, GMOs, and it has been linked to overfed babies.

I would not go as far as to call it "nasty" but breast milk is a much better choice (if possible) in my opinion.

Jake

William
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Full of high fructose corn syrup (35-45% of total volume) for one. It contains chemicals, GMOs, and it has been linked to overfed babies.

I would not go as far as to call it "nasty" but breast milk is a much better choice (if possible) in my opinion.

Jake

And just what is wrong with high fructose corn syrup???? (http://www.hulu.com/watch/223360/saturday-night-live-corn-syrup-commercial)

William

junkfood
05-10-2012, 08:47 PM
And just what is wrong with high fructose corn syrup???? (http://www.hulu.com/watch/223360/saturday-night-live-corn-syrup-commercial)

William

What that it's made from corn?

Science.

Jake

Steve in SLO
05-10-2012, 08:49 PM

Jake

In addition to above, babies fed formula during the first week of life have been shown to have up to a 9x increase in skin and food allergies during later life. That and a worse neurodevelopmental outcome than breastfed babies make formula kind of nasty in my mind.

Liv2RideHard
05-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Jake

Totally agree breast milk is better. We keep some formula on hand for various reasons. HFCS is not even a listed ingredient in the formula we have unless they are calling it something totally different. There are no corn syrups listed nor is fructose or glucose listed.

junkfood
05-10-2012, 09:03 PM
In addition to above, babies fed formula during the first week of life have been shown to have up to a 9x increase in skin and food allergies during later life. That and a worse neurodevelopmental outcome than breastfed babies make formula kind of nasty in my mind.

Another good one, there are tons of staggering statistics like these. I just don't want to come off as if I am bashing anyone who feeds their child formula, I think it has a place and has probably been a lifesaver at times. I just hope everyone educates themselves on such important decisions.

Not to mention the amount of money saved from breastfeeding for a year is enough to buy a really nice bike. If you decide to clothe diaper instead of disposables you could get 2!

Jake

zetroc
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
"Corn is a fruit. Syrup comes from a bush."

wc1934
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM

For the reasons stated and many many more, there is no question that breast milk is far superior to formula - the big question is how long should a child nurse - I understand the attachment argument, but at what point/age, if any, does it become psychologically damaging (don't all you Freudian's start yelling at once).

Steve in SLO
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Another good one, there are tons of staggering statistics like these. I just don't want to come off as if I am bashing anyone who feeds their child formula, I think it has a place and has probably been a lifesaver at times. I just hope everyone educates themselves on such important decisions.

Not to mention the amount of money saved from breastfeeding for a year is enough to buy a really nice bike. If you decide to clothe diaper instead of disposables you could get 2!

Jake
There's plenty of good to be said for breastmilk and plenty of bad to be said about formula when talking in a vacuum. In real life, however, things are different and I make it a point to never make parents feel guilty about feeding formula to their baby (or apparently, 10 year old) if they had tried what they could to feed breastmilk first.

junkfood
05-10-2012, 09:23 PM
There's plenty of good to be said for breastmilk and plenty of bad to be said about formula when talking in a vacuum. In real life, however, things are different and I make it a point to never make parents feel guilty about feeding formula to their baby (or apparently, 10 year old) if they had tried what they could to feed breastmilk first.

Well said.

As far as when to stop, I have no answer for that. It seems that the social aspect of it has to weigh in at some time. As far as a magic age, no clue. If you can have a logical conversation with the child about it, it might be time to quit :confused:

Jake

akelman
05-10-2012, 10:01 PM
If you can have a logical conversation with the child about it, it might be time to quit...

So it's okay to breastfeed a child into her or his thirties?

GuyGadois
05-10-2012, 10:10 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-timecover-20120511,0,4753231.story

That is the biggest three year old I have ever seen!

Steve in SLO
05-10-2012, 10:13 PM
How long?
The American Board of Pediatrics currently says 18 months, although they change opinions like others change clothes.

54ny77
05-10-2012, 10:21 PM
If Cavendish's kid was a boy, he'd be the hands-down envy of his schoolmates for the rest of his life, and that's all I have to say about that.:banana:

junkfood
05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
So it's okay to breastfeed a child into her or his thirties?

Good point, I am in my 30's and have trouble with logical conversations myself.
I did not say that was the only requirement for stopping :)

Jake

Fixed
05-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Best for mother and baby :)
Really can anyone argue that ?:bike:
Cheers

rugbysecondrow
05-11-2012, 06:39 AM

Ever tasted the stuff...yuck.

There is an aspect of creepiness to it though when walking and talking kids suck the tit. I am fine, very fine with the tit part, but it is the fact that there is a non-baby attached to it feeding which is off putting.

William
05-11-2012, 06:44 AM
I think its time for the mods to nip this thread. It's been interesting reading so thanks for the mammaries.

:rolleyes::p;):)
William

avalonracing
05-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Does anyone think about the fact that most of america drinks milk that is created for baby cows? That's kinda gross in its own right.

echelon_john
05-11-2012, 08:00 AM
It was warm yesterday, but it's a titty bit nipple outside today.

If that doesn't get this put to bed...

pjm
05-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I apologize in advance....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxGkcC1VrhU

CNY rider
05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Boobs are like toy trains.

They're supposed to be for the kids but it's usually dad that plays with them the most.:)

DRZRM
05-11-2012, 09:06 AM
The question of breast milk being better than formula (it is) seems off topic. The question that this cover seems to be raising it that nursing mothers seem to make some of our society uncomfortable. To me that says much more about those folks offended by such a nursing mother.

Do I think it would be wierd for a mother to be nursing a 1, 2, 3 or 5 year old? Who cares? The truth is this society makes women who are nursing their new borns in public uncomfortable. This issue is not really about the very small number of women nursing older children (though more power to them), to me it feels like a public opinion to a very private issue. This is up to mothers (and eventually children I suppose), public opinion should have nothing to do with it. I assure you that anyone who chooses to nurse in public is already familiar with public backlash already.

Zach (father of a 15 month old who still nurses and owner of a Lionel train set his nearly 4 year old still doesn't much care about).

echelon_john
05-11-2012, 09:14 AM
This is only the tip of the iceberg about how messed up our culture is with regard to sexuality, sexualization of young women, nudity, body image, etc...

The Puritans really made a lasting mark.

rugbysecondrow
05-11-2012, 09:22 AM
The question of breast milk being better than formula (it is) seems off topic. The question that this cover seems to be raising it that nursing mothers seem to make some of our society uncomfortable. To me that says much more about those folks offended by such a nursing mother.

Do I think it would be wierd for a mother to be nursing a 1, 2, 3 or 5 year old? Who cares? The truth is this society makes women who are nursing their new borns in public uncomfortable. This issue is not really about the very small number of women nursing older children (though more power to them), to me it feels like a public opinion to a very private issue. This is up to mothers (and eventually children I suppose), public opinion should have nothing to do with it. I assure you that anyone who chooses to nurse in public is already familiar with public backlash already.

Zach (father of a 15 month old who still nurses and owner of a Lionel train set his nearly 4 year old still doesn't much care about).

Breasts are both functional and very sexual in the USA, so of course people have varing degrees of comfort. In addition, there is why there is a time and a place though. Do I eat anywhere and everywhere I want? Just because something is natural and proper does not mean it is a free for all and appropriate for all situations, anywhere at all times. Women whip out the teet and feed the kid at the dinner table at dinner parties. I am not bashful, I am not ashamed of my wife who breastfed, but I also think there is a bit of discretion that ought to be had. My wife breast fed both of our kids for 9 months each, I agree with the benefits of it all, my point is that there is a time and a place.

My parents have told me stories about when they lived in China. Many of the kids didn't use diapers but just has slits in there pants. the parents would spread a napkin on the table and the child would make business on the napkin on the table. Natural action, necesary action, but one could reasonable argue that it might cross a boundary or two. I think the same thing about breastfeeding.

93legendti
05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm glad the economy is no longer the most important issue to journalists

EDS
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
I have to say, I was so impressed with my wife and how comfortable she was breast feeding in public. I was probably more uncomfortable than her. Definitely was a bonding experience for mother and child. Hardest part for a working mom is the pumping during the day while at work. That was the part my wife was happy to put to an end.

brownhound
05-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Just because something is natural and proper does not mean it is a free for all and appropriate for all situations, anywhere at all times. Women whip out the teet and feed the kid at the dinner table at dinner parties.

So a baby should not eat at a dinner table while at a dinner party? Where should they eat, the toilet?

rugbysecondrow
05-11-2012, 06:07 PM
So a baby should not eat at a dinner table while at a dinner party? Where should they eat, the toilet?

Sure, the baby can eat at the table, titless. Otherwise, there is no shame with excusing yourself for a few minutes.

Don't be foolish, just because a tit might not belong out at the dinner table doesn't mean that she has to feed in the crapper. I am not even saying she has to be in private, closed away, just not at the table. Just because something is healthy and good does not mean it is appropriate for all situations.

Boundaries are not a bad thing in our society.

Louis
05-11-2012, 06:15 PM
This whole thread is really making a mountain out of a molehill.

craptacular
05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
My parents have told me stories about when they lived in China. Many of the kids didn't use diapers but just has slits in there pants. the parents would spread a napkin on the table and the child would make business on the napkin on the table. Natural action, necesary action, but one could reasonable argue that it might cross a boundary or two. I think the same thing about breastfeeding.

If breast milk contained fecal coliform or e. coli in high levels to harm others this may be a valid comparison. Poop and milk are not equivalent.

Elefantino
05-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm glad the economy is no longer the most important issue to journalists

To SOME journalists.

rugbysecondrow
05-11-2012, 07:10 PM
If breast milk contained fecal coliform or e. coli in high levels to harm others this may be a valid comparison. Poop and milk are not equivalent.

Thanks Craptacular.

It is valid as it relates to social and cultural norms, it is not a comparison of the physical substance themselves. Yes, you are correct Craptacular that poop and milk are not equivalent.

tannhauser
05-11-2012, 07:12 PM
If Time wanted to be truly provocative they would have had two kids hanging from mom's tits, including her older, adopted Ethiopian child.

So much for boldness.

54ny77
05-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Or is it making cottage cheese out of milk curd?

This whole thread is really making a mountain out of a molehill.

craptacular
05-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I get what you are saying, but feeding a child and pooping are totally different. I can guarantee that these same mothers are not changing their child's diapers on the table after they let them nurse. The reasons there are cultural "taboos" or "norms" mainly has to do with the fact that most of these "taboos" are in fact unhealthy, like feces. Boobs on the other hand are in noooooo way, shape, or form unhealthy. They are just awesome. I don't feel that it is necessary to nurse a kid past two, but it sure isn't going to physically harm them. Unless you get your picture taken in the internet age when all your friends in high school see you latched on to your mom in a picture destined to be seen by millions. Then, you will be harmed by no other girl letting you see a boob until you are about 28.