PDA

View Full Version : BOA closures

AngryScientist
05-10-2012, 06:52 PM
My last two pairs of road shoes have used the BOA closure system. they are specialized shoes. for me BOA is the greatest thing for shoes since sliced bread. the way they make the shoe uniformly hug the foot without creating areas of higher pressure is superb in my experience, and seems to be absolutely ideal for an application like cycling shoes.

admittedly i have never owned high end shoes with non-BOA, buckle typed closures. the lower end models i've used from specialized, sidi (mtb) and others simply were not as good at getting the foot snug without undue pressure.

can anyone compare good, high end shoes, like the fizik's below, or sidi, or whoever with regard to how the buckle strap system compares to the BOA closure used on specialized, lake, etc?

(BOA shoe, in case you are not familiar):

http://cyclingshoesonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/specializedsworks_shoe.jpg

buckle/strap system:

http://www.fizik.com/uploads/cache/shop/shop_shoes/shoes/r3uw_45_b_width678_maxheight360.jpg

Elefantino
05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Prehistoric BOA.

http://www.dromarti.com/images/dromarti/DROMARTI_HOME5.jpg

AngryScientist
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
specialized has also recently released these, which look very nice, old shool with modern closure.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2011/07/13/1310552126238-2a9ohdxrqvvu-670-70.jpg

gavingould
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I've got a pair of S-Works road shoes and both road and mtn versions of their Pro shoes with the Velcro & buckles. Honestly not much difference in my opinion as far as snugness or fit of the upper. Have previously had Sidi road and mtn shoes with similar buckle+Velcro closures too, but the Specializeds fit my feet better.

maxdog
05-10-2012, 07:48 PM
i believe Diadora first introduced the BOA system. I owned a pair back in late 80's or very early 90's. I loved those shoes, as they were much more comfortable than any I had worn before. I was disappointed when they discontinued them, but Sidi had come out with the buckle closure system and I never looked back. In summary, I think both systems if designed well are excellent, but for my feet I have never found a better made, more comfortable shoe than the Sidi. I compare them to the fine Italian dress shoes I used to wear when I was a working stiff.

BumbleBeeDave
05-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought you meant Bank of America was downsizing . . . :D

BBD

Fishbike
05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I thought you meant Bank of America was downsizing . . . :D

BBD

Me too!

FlashUNC
05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I've got a pair of S-Works and a pair of Fiziks. The fit is different with the ratchet strap versus the boa, but I think they both work well. The boa's are superior with adjustability, but they are a bit more finicky to use.

They both work, is the short answer.

Hank Scorpio
05-10-2012, 09:34 PM
What a timely thread. I just tried on the s-works and expert shoes yesterday. Both boas on both left shoes failed in the store. They would tighten up but then when I stood up both spun back the other way releasing all tension. These were the two way boas not the ones used on the comp shoe that you have to pull out to release.

I also used to work in a ski/snowboard shop and we had a pair of vans snowboarding boots with boa laces. We had a few come back for broken laces but the replacement was pretty easy.

54ny77
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I tried on the top end Specialized boa model and couldn't get my feet happy.

Most of the issue was surrounding the shoe size, however, not with the boa closure system itself (that model did not come in "wide" like the BG pro shoe model does).

Some parts of my feet like to be really loose, which a 3-strap system can do, and the boa system seems to make things nice and uniform--not what I need, unfortunately.

For some reason I kept wondering if it was 30 lb test on my shoes and if I should toss a few mackerel in my jersey pocket just in case....:)

pdmtong
05-10-2012, 09:55 PM
BOA is fine with me (single dial s-works, 2010?) but the real issue is fit. my ergo 2's just fit a bit better and the closure system has nothign to do with it.

for me, s-works good for 50 miles, ergo 2's for 100

jghall
05-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Just like a frame, fit is king. That said, I own specialized s-works boa and a few 3-velcro strap shoes(poggio and giro prolight). All are excellent shoes.

Never been a real big fan of the ratchet stuff. But as they say, everybody is their own movie critic.

weiwentg
05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
I like the Boa system.

I got a used pair of S Works shoes with frayed laces. I warrantied them with Boa, free of charge. works great now.

fatallightning
05-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I have lakes, with the reel in the heel. I dig them quite a bit, came from 3 velcro northwaves. I like the ability to run them comfy loose, then crank them with a few laps to go in crits and on the track.

54ny77
05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
"lake"

"reel in the heel"

i am detecting a common theme. here, let me help you with that...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_vexO0DI2AXg/Rq6BUC5GE3I/AAAAAAAAAuk/mjAcO-hSc0w/s400/staring_over_the_flats.jpg

I have lakes, with the reel in the heel. I dig them quite a bit, came from 3 velcro northwaves. I like the ability to run them comfy loose, then crank them with a few laps to go in crits and on the track.

professerr
05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
I've got a pair of Specialized with dual BOA. I think this closure system is superior to the standard ratchet + two velcro straps that I tried (Giros). First, you can make very micro adjustments in BOTH directions (tightening and loosening). The standard ratchet only tightens in big steps (and loosens in one release), while the velcro straps don't really tighten well at all -- they just close the shoe.

I also prefer this dual BOA to the single BOA on the Lakes I tried -- it is much better to be able to adjust the toe closure independent from the arch closure. And the Lake BOA released by pulling up the dial, which caused the cable to become totally slack, vs. the dual BOA which allows you to turn the dials in micro steps to loosen.

Finally, BOA is super easy to adjust whlle riding.

I have my doubts, though, about the durability of the BOA and like the poster above, have received shoes with a broken dial that didn't hold tight. Even the demo at the Specialized store was broken! The rep told me that this occurs when people turn the dial the wrong way to tighten and keep going. He said this the number one reason the shoe are returned.

rice rocket
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah, if you turn it all the way counterclockwise, it will start tightening again, even though it's not meant to hold that way.

I just got mine, I'm still fiddling with my desired amount of snugness. It's not easier or more difficult to adjust than velcro, just different. I find 2 velcro straps + a ratchet had more options than 2 BOAs (obviously), but with more options comes more time "refining".

In the end, I'll probably stick to regular velcros for my MTB shoes, I heard the dirt gums up the BOA dials easily, plus I'll probably smash them to pieces accidentally.

MattTuck
05-10-2012, 11:50 PM
For someone (like me) with a very high insteps, the boa system was very comfortable in the store. I wasn't able to find one in a wide enough size to fit my feet, so I ended up not going with the boa system and bought sidi megas instead, which are good for width, and the ratchet buckle is ok, but not as comfortable as the boa.

If specialized ever made a shoe wide enough for me, with the boa, I'd probably get it. I think the bottom line is, everyone's feet are different and fit is important. So, if you can be comfortable, that's what is important, not really the brand, closure system or styling ;)

pdmtong
05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
I think a lot has to do with where you want the shoe to be more snug.
For instance, on the ergo 2, it takes 2 clicks of the fishline thing to get the forefoot fit where I want it; I cant velcro my 6.6s that accurately. However, the ergo 2 has the rear heel cup adjustment, which I like and need. In fact I retro'd my 6.6s to have this when that piece went on sale (with a few other things) on realcyclist.

Back to the BOA. Theoretically, I would like to have the 2-way dial for on road flexibility, but after use have been able to figure out when tight enough for me with the one way one dial. I dont often adjust my shoes on the road so again the want is theoretical. No issues with maintenance or reliability for me.

the s-works shoes are extremely light, which I like. but for me, the sidi's just fit better for all day (4+ hour) comfort.

I would like to try fizik, giro and mavic too at some point. Just because.

Bob Ross
05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
the way they make the shoe uniformly hug the foot without creating areas of higher pressure is superb in my experience

I must be doing it wrong. Or maybe I have weird feet. I've had the top-of-the-line S-Works shoes with the BOA system, and my displeasure is specifically due to the fact that when it's tight enough in the middle of my foot it's not tight enough nearest the ankle, and when it's tight enough at the ankle it's too tight towards the mid-foot.

iow, it specifically does not work as advertised. I just went back to a more traditional two velcro straps + one buckle system and (other issues about this particular shoe notwithstanding) I'm much happier with that closure system.

[edit: my S-Works shoes have the single BOA, if that makes a difference.]

Brian Smith
05-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Man, when I saw the thread title, I thought it might be about something like THIS: (http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Saving-Money/2011/1121/The-rise-in-bank-fees-is-over)

Polyglot
05-11-2012, 10:55 PM
I also used to work in a ski/snowboard shop and we had a pair of vans snowboarding boots with boa laces. We had a few come back for broken laces ...

I too lived through the first wave of BOA boots in the winter sports' market in the late 90's. It was an absolute and total disaster. We had over 50% return rate in teh company I worked for. On paper it seem to be perfect but in practice it was an unmitigated disaster and will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth. Apparently they have sorted out some of the problems but when you are not able to dummy-proof something it is a problem waiting to happen. Not something for me, especially when I have never run into problems with other systems.

wai2fast
05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm running a pair of Lake CX236 with BOA closure and have to say I'm not completely sold on the concept even after over a year of use. I find it hard to get "even" pressure across the top of the shoe unless I really crank them down.