PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's Gatorade

toaster
09-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Just ran out of my old standby, Lemon-Lime Gatorade in the big nine gallon powder mix, and my store is out of stock. Hmmm. So, I buy the cheaper Tang product in the powder mix and take it home to do the math.

Gatorade is 60 calories per 8 oz. when mixed according to directions. The Tang is 90 calories per 8 oz. Simple, add 1.5 times as much water to the Tang to get the same hypertonic solution of sugary goodness.

Then, get this, for electrolytes I put in a pinch of Morton's Lite Salt in my 2 quart mixture which adds pure potasium chloride.

There you have it, Poor man's Gatorade and the science is the same. Practically.

hypnos
09-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Does the Tang have sodium? Sodium is the most important part of your electrolyte replacement drink.

bshell
09-08-2005, 01:35 AM
lite salt contains nearly equal parts sodium chloride and potassium chloride. and you need them both.

i use this stuff with a 10cent packet of kool aid and regular white sugar. i might have even gotten the idea from this forum. i can't remember now.

toaster
09-08-2005, 08:34 AM
A registered dietitian told me about Morton's Lite Salt. A check at the Morton web site yielded this:

"A salt and potassium chloride mixture* with iodide and a freeflowing agent, contains 50% less sodium than regular salt. Use for baking, cooking and at-the-table seasoning just like regular salt, for the same great results."

Sounds like a inexpensive alternative. I was pretty used to lemon-lime flavor Gatorade and welcome a change now and again.

Cadence230
09-08-2005, 09:18 AM
But where do I get the monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, yellow 5, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (soybean and/or cottonseed), blue #1, and soy ingredients?

bshell
09-08-2005, 10:59 AM
i have a drum of that out back.....

Velociotis
09-08-2005, 11:16 AM
HOMEMADE SPORTS DRINK
For low-cost fluid replacement that has a nutritional profile similar to the more expensive commercial sports drinks, try this simple recipe. Yield: 1 quart

4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup orange juice (not concentrate) or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
3-3/4 cups cold water

1. In the bottom of a pitcher, dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water.
2. Add the juice and the remaining water; chill.
3. Quench that thirst!

george
09-09-2005, 08:20 AM
I tried Costco's version of gatorade, it's called Kirkland sports drink. I tried twice (two casses) over the years and don't like it. Maybe it's psycological but it dosen't taste good enough to really chug it down...any one else try Kirkland sports drink?