PDA

View Full Version : Best bikes brands you will carry in your bikeshop

jerome
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi,
I am in the process to open a specialized bike-shop boutique style at the bottom of Mt Ventoux in Provence where I expect to sell some of the bikes we cherish so much.

Moots for sure, but what else, what will be the brand you will like the most to find or buy.
WHat will be the perfect adds on, the perfect portfolio.
I will operate from home, focus on great service, sharing my passion.
Please tag ein consideration that I am starting from scratches, I don't have big money and I can't carry too many brands at least to start.

Your input is highly wanted and I will give you my feedback and news on what will be going on.
Last I hope to have you visiting me here.

I will be named after Picaro CycleWorks

JAGI410
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Starting from scratch, with Moots? You're going to need some entry level stuff to start out, then work your way up to Moots. Those aren't cheap to have on the floor. Maybe start with whatever well known brand is harder to find locally. Or consignment/restoration of the classic/boutique bikes and used sales. Good luck! I like the shop name. It's catchy. You're gonna need a store front to set up accounts with some/most distributors.

jr59
05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I would have to say in a shop like that, Waterford and Gunnar.

Both steel, stock and custom.

I also agree that somewhere you are going to need a CF brand and a entry level type bike like.

Selling high end stuff is great, but it's hard to do that day after day!

maunahaole
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Sell stuff that sells. Then take that money and buy more stuff that sells. Build a customer base and relationships and become the go-to guy.

Uncle Jam's Army
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Congratulations to you, Jerome! I wish you success in your new endeavor.

I am a bit confused, though. Is this going to be a shop that has real bikes in it where people can walk in from the street? Or is it by appointment only? You mention working from home, so I am not sure what you have in mind by a boutique style bike shop.

Are you planning to carry only handmade bicycles or do you also plan to carry bikes from mass producers? If it is only handmade bicycles you plan to carry, I would take a look at how a few places such as Above Category carry out their business plans. They seem to do a very good job with Moots, Baum, Pegoretti, Parlee, and Pinarello (only Pinarello and certain of the Parlee frames are not handmade).

If you have in mind to carry mass-produced frames, I've always admired the Time and Look frames. As between the big three American brands, though it receives a lot of criticism, I think Specialized does a really good job at what they do in providing a full line of bikes for every price range and for different types of bikes.

The best of luck to you.

Hi,
I am in the process to open a specialized bike-shop boutique style at the bottom of Mt Ventoux in Provence where I expect to sell some of the bikes we cherish so much.

Moots for sure, but what else, what will be the brand you will like the most to find or buy.
Please tag ein consideration that I am starting from scratches, I don't have big money and I can't carry too many brands at least to start.

Your input is highly wanted and I will give you my feedback and news on what will be going on.

nightfend
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
I'd carry a major brand that offers carbon fiber frames, and low/mid/high-end line of bikes. Say a brand like Cannondale/Specialized/Trek/Giant/Orbea, etc. The specialty brands are nice, but they are usually higher-end bikes and won't sell in as large of quantity.

TMB
05-10-2012, 04:17 PM
..., Waterford and Gunnar.

!

???????

You did see the part about it being in France???

fiamme red
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
???????

You did see the part about it being in France???Cyfac.

TMB
05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Cyfac.

bingo.

Maybe Robin Mather or Terry Dolan or Marschall Framewerk.

AngryScientist
05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
is the question limited to bikes themselves? i'm not a bike shop, but if i were, i would proudly carry the full Lezyne range of products, they are all excellent.

cnighbor1
05-10-2012, 04:43 PM
In a corner I would sell neat custom bicycles. but to stay in business you better have some bicycles general public would buy

katematt
05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Let me know if you need a wrench.. I am sure the kids, wife and company won't miss me for a few years. I'll work for hours out of the shop to ride and some beans twice a day.

As far as bikes due to the proximity European manufactures come to mind. Eg. colnago, peg, cyfac, Focus or more low end international such as Scott or Giant to build the base up.

Regardless live the dream and good luck.

MattTuck
05-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi,
....at the bottom of Mt Ventoux in Provence ...
WHat will be the perfect adds on,

bikes with the gruber assist.

on a more serious note, I wouldn't just jump into a bike shop. Get a spreadsheet, run some numbers, figure out which brands will give you the best service and credit... good luck though!

I'll see if I can find a little table I made about bike shops a while back.

jr59
05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
???????

You did see the part about it being in France???

????????

Yea, I did! And what do you think Moots is?

If you are going to build a high end boutique type shop, why would you want what everyone else has?

Why not carry some lines that are different?

firerescuefin
05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
????????

Yea, I did! And what do you think Moots is?

If you are going to build a high end boutique type shop, why would you want what everyone else has?

Why not carry some lines that are different?

Not a lot of Moots in France....I think this is a selling point...carrying a bunch of stuff other shops are carrying isn't a point of differentiation...and it looks like Jerome feels the same way.

ultraman6970
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
France???

I would start with cyfac aswell... as for other brands well... european costumers are so different than americans that I really can't see moots in there at all. Somebody with money and with knowledge has other options than moots, specially in europe. Specialized is well positioned in some countries, no idea if that's the case of france in specific. Specially when american stuff is not like super welcomed in that country in specific. I good joke would be just put a bib ass poster of Lance Armstrong right when the guys are coming in and probably you will get more than one weird reaction or look :D

The guys in france buy custom steel or they go straight to carbon? In spain is carbon and steel bikes eventhought are appreciated the guys look for the old stuff, but in general they will spend the money in carbon, not in steel. But again, no idea how france is, neither in that place in specific. One thing for sure a shop like one i have here where u can find NOS steel frames. But that clientele is really specific, people than wont go to performance stores neither as a joke.

Good luck with the store, love the name :)

firerescuefin
05-10-2012, 05:41 PM
France???

I would start with cyfac aswell... as for other brands well... european costumers are so different than americans that I really can't see moots in there at all. Somebody with money and with knowledge has other options than moots, specially in europe. Specialized is well positioned in some countries, no idea if that's the case of france in specific. Specially when american stuff is not like super welcomed in that country in specific. I good joke would be just put a bib ass poster of Lance Armstrong right when the guys are coming in and probably you will get more than one weird reaction or look :D

The guys in france buy custom steel or they go straight to carbon? In spain is carbon and steel bikes eventhought are appreciated the guys look for the old stuff, but in general they will spend the money in carbon, not in steel. But again, no idea how france is, neither in that place in specific. One thing for sure a shop like one i have here where u can find NOS steel frames. But that clientele is really specific, people than wont go to performance stores neither as a joke.

Good luck with the store, love the name :)

So an American Boutique store would have what in it...Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale...probably not.

The key word here is Boutique...as in perceived as exclusive, cool, and not what every else is riding. Jerome lives there, and I would assume has a inclination of what that means. Having traveled in that area, I would think Moots would meet that quality, but I have no idea what it would cost to bring in a brand like that.

Good luck...exciting venture.

mistermo
05-10-2012, 09:45 PM
My .02 based on my visit to Apt, France at the foot of Ventoux and my rental there. Skip the American brands. There are lots of shops and lots of competition. When I rented a bike (TIME) I was surprised at the expense (nearly $100) for a mid-level bike. There are plenty of shops with high end Euro bikes that likely cost much less than importing a US brand.

If a MOOTS is 4x the cost and you're going to charge me 4x the price, I'm going to go to the guy next door. I just want to ride the mountain, not demo a bike. Tourist rentals is your market.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi,

email Richard at

richard@waterfordbikes.com

I sell Moots and Waterford(Gunnar)...start with fit, buy frame, build at shop. No wheels or bikes outta boxes.

Small, service based, at least in the republic(Boulder), works very well, particularly after finding out about and getting rid of my lying, thief of a business partner.

email with any questions

peter@vecchios.com

http://www.vecchios.com

I'm the old fart with the mustache.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2012, 08:10 AM
I would have to say in a shop like that, Waterford and Gunnar.

I also agree that somewhere you are going to need a CF brand and a entry level type bike like.

Selling high end stuff is great, but it's hard to do that day after day!

See post, it really depends. Hard to have a non mainstream carbon bike in a world of trekspecializedcdalegiant...blah, blah.

I think the gent needs to define his target market and aggressively attack that market. Can't be everything to everybody. Just cuz that's the NBDA 'model', doesn't make it right for everybody.

In the wild, wild world of the interweb, service, uniqueness, getting something that can't be had on the web(service) is key.

IMHO

oldpotatoe
05-11-2012, 08:19 AM
I'd carry a major brand that offers carbon fiber frames, and low/mid/high-end line of bikes. Say a brand like Cannondale/Specialized/Trek/Giant/Orbea, etc. The specialty brands are nice, but they are usually higher-end bikes and won't sell in as large of quantity.

Last post, but margin is margin, whether you sell a $4000 bicycle or 5 $800 bicycles. BUT the labor to sell, build, serviceafterthesale, is MUCH larger for those 5 bicycles than 1 bicycle. Yep you don't sell many bicycles but you don't need to. IF that's the gent's market.

I carry NO carbon fiber bicycles. I am w/i 20 blocks of 6 other bike shops that do. They carry NO steel or titanium. Only 1 does custom builds(Time, Ridley).

I do fine but I am careful to me 'appropriate' to the market. Not large, but pretty efficient. Just cuz one place does well with Trekspecializedgiant, doesn't mean the 'new' shop will too.

BUT 40-50% of my gross is service. The Trek 'manual' says a target for service is something like 8-12% of gross for service.

We are like the many car repair places in Boulder, with only 5 car 'dealers, our business model.

http://www.hoshimotors.net/

along with a VW place and US car repair place.

http://www.indianpeaksauto.net/

tannhauser
05-11-2012, 10:16 AM
BUT 40-50% of my gross is service. The Trek 'manual' says a target for service is something like 8-12% of gross for service.

They say that so that can force you to carry a minimum of their product, thereby taking away your margins!

CaliFly
05-11-2012, 10:46 AM
See post, it really depends. Hard to have a non mainstream carbon bike in a world of trekspecializedcdalegiant...blah, blah.

I think the gent needs to define his target market and aggressively attack that market. Can't be everything to everybody. Just cuz that's the NBDA 'model', doesn't make it right for everybody.

In the wild, wild world of the interweb, service, uniqueness, getting something that can't be had on the web(service) is key.

IMHO

Best advice.

OP, you're asking the wrong questions. Build your business around your knowledge and service. You're not going to be able to carry inventory of ANY brand and remain sustainable if you don't have 'big' money to start and the service to finish.

If you're really serious about this business, get involved with this thread. Ask more questions. Clarify your goals. Identify your market. Push back. Absorb what is useful and discard what isn't. Don't just ask one question then leave to start another similar thread.

These sound like questions from a new photographer who wants to open a studio:
Canon or Nikon?
What lighting should I get?
What's an f-stop?
What are the best Photoshop actions to buy?

I admire the passion, but follow through with real questions that speak to the overall success of your business. There are plenty of folks on this board who can and will help.

Ima go get my coffee now....

veloduffer
05-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I like Moots for titanium, and suggest Parlee for carbon fiber. They do both custom (geo and paint) and stock (Z5 model), and have a well regarded customer service. They seem to sell very well in London's high end bike shops (e.g. Bespoke Cycling (http://www.bespokecycling.com)).

I have a Z4 and it is a terrific bike.

ultraman6970
05-11-2012, 01:43 PM
I understand whats an american boutique is, the issue as potato and others mentioned (i did too) is that who knows what sales in that area. You can put anything in any place, but if you pick the brands wrong then you a problem.

I really dont know if the OP did a marketing investigation asking riders in the area about the brands he wants to put and stuff. Another great indicator is the types of bikes you see in the area and the costumers costumes as well. THats the reason i said that I personally dont know what is good for that area, i know spaniards taste but no idea about the french.

In my country for example nobody buys steel no more, but the hipsters and those wont spend 3000 bucks in a steel frame when for 200 they can get a used colnago for example. All of the other population that do racing and can afford an expensive bike wont bother with steel and will go to carbon right away. Every country is a different market.

Again, no idea if the french does this or not, dont know them. Probably dont care about titanium if after all they build insane machines in carbon you know. Probably the op figure it out all of these details already.

Potato has good ideas, since the op will be at home maybe to offer fits will help him to start and then introduce bikes and stuff.

So an American Boutique store would have what in it...Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale...probably not.

The key word here is Boutique...as in perceived as exclusive, cool, and not what every else is riding. Jerome lives there, and I would assume has a inclination of what that means. Having traveled in that area, I would think Moots would meet that quality, but I have no idea what it would cost to bring in a brand like that.

Good luck...exciting venture.

jerome
05-12-2012, 01:46 AM
thank you to every body here.
thank you for your posts, it is very educative to me.

The French market is very different to what you have in the US or in London.
French don't try to innovate in their offer and do not think that service is an asset as a brand or something hard you can sell or trade.
So broadly in all fields you are poorly serviced.
So far my idea is to have a boutique shop focusing on what others don't have: small manufacturers bicycles with a soul.
Yes in Mt Ventoux area you have bike shops for sure, but what you find there : Giant, Scott, Pinarello, Cannondale, Time at best ... all the same for me if not the colors, Shenzen, China, bicycles.
But as an avid rider having lived in the US for a while (Detroit, San Francisco) I have been riding small brands bikes all my life even as a kid I had italian bicycle Scapin, Ciocc they were small and it was all you were able to find then, in 1995 you had to make it to Italy also. Gitane, Peugeot, Bianchi (made in italy then), Look (made in France at that time, now Tunisia as most of the Time were main stream.

Now I also have the perception that french and EU market is moving a bit toward more diversified products certainly the effect of the fact that people start thinking of cycling not only as a sport but also as a way to enjoy life, be in shape, be greener, looking cool.
Still this market in his infancy is anise market and as everywhere in the world a very small percentage of cyclist spend more or a lot of money in their bicycles, but I want to appeal to passionated people as I could speak of bikes for hours and days; or wealthy ones that want a great bike (as they are used to buy high end product) with a great service attached with it and want to deal with passionated people - what is a sort of luxury - getting a bike and a dip in a different culture to have a full experience in a glimpse.

What I want is the perfect portfolio of what is best now on the market.

No Moots are not more expensive than a Time VXRS or RXR, I can get Scapin for not much either, I don't know about Parlee, Pegoretti, a FireFly, Waterford or Seven yet.
I do not have any contact with most of those US brand if not Moots.
If any one can help me or is ready to patron me in this, It will be very appreciated.
I even think I will be the first in France running this kind of business model in France.
I am a mechanical engineer former oil driller, and erecting plants for gas industry, I love handy jobs and I also want to give my customers the best experience in that field.
I want to start small with a minimum investment, so I will operate first from home on 'appointment' (my door will be always open when I will be home). I do not care working 24/7 as long as I can get a ride or a hike a few hours a day.
What are for you the best brands under the light those days ?
It seems to me that Serotta is losing momentum, as IF that is not shinning.
FireFly is risen, Parlee is flying high already as Seven.
Moots is making a tremendous come back with their new line up.
Pegoretti a garage product that I am not sure to have the chance to carry.
Scapin still one of the best in this continent for steel.
Zullo is not that nice too me.
CIOCC too large not much craft in their production.
Colnago gone, finish, dead out of this segment.
Cyfac may be but it is every where already, not an element of differentiation and it is said that most of the production is coming from over sea;
Passoni, not a bicycle brand all marketing, made in a mechanical workshop in the north of Italy.
Who else, capable to supply a market and having the consistency, image and reliability to be sold here.