PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice for My First Tour: Great Allegheny Passage

rugbysecondrow
05-10-2012, 06:19 AM
I am doing my first tour/bike trip the end of May, riding the GAP trail from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh http://www.atatrail.org/ .

I have some gear, but not sure what I should be prepared for and want to avoid being overly prepared. I am putting together a list of things I will need, chain links, tubes etc, but I am wanting to tap the well of informed forum members who have done trips like this. The ride is approx 140 miles and I am thinking either A) two full days, 1 over night or B) 2 half days and one full day with two over nights. I am leaning towards the second option as I will have more time to chill, enjoy the ride, be pokey if the mood strikes. Also, as it is an off-road trail, my riding will be slower than on the road, so just want to be conservative with my expectations. My plan is to stay at motel or B and B type of establishments. No camping this trip as my camping equipment is geared around car camping and not backpacking/bike.

I will take my Bedford Tourer with rear rack and fenders.

Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, advice etc.

Thanks!

Paul

rwsaunders
05-10-2012, 07:21 AM
I'd just approach it like an unsupported MS150 with no hills or crowds to fret over. There are plenty of small towns along the way to visit in terms of overnight accommodations and food, as I'm sure you've seen from the trail website. I saw this recent article in the Washington Post that might be of interest. Enjoy the trip!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/biking-the-great-allegheny-passage-and-cando-canal-from-pittsburgh-to-dc/2012/02/28/gIQAx0pP1R_story.html

gdw
05-10-2012, 08:31 AM
This trip report might be helpful:
http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/pittsburgh-pa-to-harpers-ferry-wv-on-gap-and-co-trails/
Follow the links.

rugbysecondrow
05-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Nice link GDW.

Thanks, keep the advice coming.

maxdog
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
As a veteran of many many thousands of miles of touring, I would say a small vice grips can be one of your best all around tools. You can never be too prepared, that's like being too lucky. Most of my tours were closer to 1000 mi or more, with one friend and a fully load rig weighing >80lbs. Over the years we encountered just about every conceivable equipment failure. My advice would be to err on the side of peace of mind. Enjoy your trip.

charliedid
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Go light...

One set of cycling clothing (wool is my choice) and one set of street clothing including pants and shorts. Lightweight hat and gloves and rain jacket.

Have fun and take your time!

Ken Robb
05-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I might plan no "full days" because I like to stop and see interesting things along the way like historical sites, quaint towns, etc. Unless vacancies at lodgings along the way are usually fully booked I like to travel without reservations so I can stop where/when I see something really appealing.

If you plan for 1/2 to 2/3 days and find you'd like to hurry up you can. If you have pre-paid reservations a full day away you're kind of locked in to grinding it out no matter what.

Presumably you may be able to buy some repair parts you NEVER thought you would need in the towns along the way should the need arise.

cnighbor1
05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
and do a search of area you plan to ride in
for 1st tour just go out 1 or 2 nites and see what happens
PS there is always fast food somewere to eat if food part goes all wrong
PSS Take a space banket in case shealter does't work out

cnighbor1
05-10-2012, 04:54 PM
On your computer make a list of all items your taking Save it to a file
When you return add items you had to buy on 1st trip
Always update
So when your going on next trip print it out and check off items
that way you have what you need
tools make sure you have a tool for each nut and bolt
At each nut and bolt get out your tools and find one that works for it Keep doing till you can tigthen loosen every nut and bolt
The big ? is do you carry BB tools chain tools I do and a pice of match chain, headset tools etc Or do plan on for major repairs getting a ride in a pickup to nearest town with a bike store
However at 10:00pm that option may not work and your in the middle of nowhere

cnighbor1
05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
I did a search on google and got this list
Note time of year your riding effects clothes and tent and sleeping bag If mid summer you can forget clothes for real cold If cold just wear two tee shirts
forget cotton gets wets take forever to dry

can't find were saved too

Ken Robb
05-10-2012, 05:50 PM
He said he is not camping.

pinkshogun
05-10-2012, 06:02 PM
i recall the first 20 miles or so from Cumberland heading west was slightly uphill. water was not as plentiful on the Gap compared to the C & O nor was on-path camping. the Gap is much smoother than the C & O. enjoy the trip

nighthawk
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I would go light over prepared. In all the bike touring and hitchiking/backpacking I've done over the years... I've learned if you are only bringing something "just incase".. you probably won't need it, and worst case scenario you can probably buy it. It's easy to talk yourself into bringing a bunch of stuff you won't end up using... and the lighter you are, the happier you will be. Bring a multi-tool, spare tube or two, but otherwise, if you are only doing 140 miles... and you prep your bike before the trip, you'll be fine.

palincss
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
As I said in a PM, I was just on the GAP April 20-22. And I've toured many times over the past 40 years. This may seem obvious advice, but I learned again the value of testing your rig with the load you intend to carry before your trip on April 20, a couple of hours before driving to Cumberland.

I have a touring bike I've used often. I thought this time since it was going to be only one overnight and I really didn't need the capacity of panniers, instead of bringing the touring bike I'd bring the MAP Randonneur, adding a Carradice seat bag to what I had in the handlebar bag. Turned out to be 12 lb in the seat bag, what with off-the-bike clothes, sandals and a spare tire in addition to the tools and tubes I always carry.

So an hour before I planned to depart, I loaded the gear into the bags and the bags on the bike, and took off for a short test ride. I didn't get 1 mile down the road before I decided 10 extra pounds in a seat bag really spoiled the way the bike felt, and a Carradice mounted on a Berthoud saddle (which this bike had) pressed into the backs of my legs a lot more than the same bag mounted on a Brooks B.17 (like on my touring bike) would have done.

Fortunately, the touring bike was ready to go, needing nothing more than a little air in the tires and a chain cleaning, and I'd tested that configuration on several tours including the full length of the GAP.

rugbysecondrow
05-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Great advice, thanks

keevon
05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I've ridden nearly all of the GAP over the course of several years, and plan on doing a Pittsburgh-to-DC trip later this fall.

Here are a few GAP tips, working from south to north:

- Frostburg is great. If you're lucky, you can catch one of the trains being turned around on the giant turntable. The town center is further up the hill, which is a pretty steep climb.

- Take some time to admire the view at the south end of the Big Savage Tunnel. There's really no view at the Continental Divide, so enjoy it here.

- There's a nice trailside stop at Meyersdale. The town center is down the hill from the trail.

- There's a small bike shop right next to the trail at Rockwood. In town, the Opera House has restrooms and good refreshments.

- Confluence has a nice grassy square with some good shops around the perimeter.

- Ohiopyle is a personal favorite (I proposed to my wife while hiking here). Plan to spend a good chunk of time. Ohiopyle Falls is right in town, while Cucumber Falls and natural waterslides are nearby. Check out Wilderness Voyageurs for outdoor gear and the Firefly Grill for good eats. Depending on your schedule, this could be a great place to spend the night.

- Not much to see in Connellsville, but there is a Sheetz.

- There's a bike shop and a place to grab a beer right next to the trail in West Newton.

- Study the trail routing through McKeesport VERY CAREFULLY. I always get lost here, and recent construction in the area has confused things even more. Consider printing out detailed maps of this section.

- The section between McKeesport and Homestead is new, and goes through some pretty industrial areas. Cool in its own way.

- The trail abruptly stops at a shopping center in Homestead, and picks up a mile or two down the river. Curse you, Sandcastle Water Park! Spend some time figuring out how to connect the two... there's no easy way to do it. PM me if you need some suggestions.

- Welcome to Pittsburgh! Plenty of fun things to do here. Thick Bikes is a fun shop, located a few blocks from the trail.

Hope this helps!

palincss
05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
- Confluence has a nice grassy square with some good shops around the perimeter.

Confluence is also home to the Three Sisters Cafe, an eating spot I recommend most highly.

- Ohiopyle is a personal favorite (I proposed to my wife while hiking here). Plan to spend a good chunk of time. Ohiopyle Falls is right in town, while Cucumber Falls and natural waterslides are nearby. Check out Wilderness Voyageurs for outdoor gear and the Firefly Grill for good eats. Depending on your schedule, this could be a great place to spend the night.

There's a great bar just down the street from Wilderness Voyageurs, too. The hotel in town is good, too. Just outside town are a couple of interesting bridges. And, of course, if you're interested in American architecture, you'll find Fallingwater worth the trip. We took a shuttle there, but it's definitely rideable (although probably not enjoyable). If you want to tour inside the house an advance reservation would be worthwhile; we didn't have them and weren't able to get them. Still, touring the grounds is worthwhile, too, and a lot cheaper.

Plenty of good photo ops along the GAP, so if you are a photographer you'll definitely want to bring your camera.

that guy
05-11-2012, 12:11 PM
The GAP is awesome.

Bring a camera!

Smiley
05-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I will take my Bedford Tourer with rear rack and fenders.

Thanks!

Paul

You ride in the LAP of LUXURY and the reason we built you a Sport Tourer. Enjoy the ride and LOCK the bike at night :)

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2012, 12:21 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=110290

Review of my ride here...it was GREAT!