PDA

View Full Version : Back to the "Serotta" forum?

Earl Gray
05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Now that Serotta is solvent again any chance they would want to buy back the naming rights to the forum?

tannhauser
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
And not market the bikes again?

William
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Naw, if they wanted it back a product focused management would want to control it. The lack of a controlling hand by Serotta is what allowed it to be a great place to hang to begin with. Most other brand controlled forums can be stifling and boring (imo of course). Anyone remember the Bianchi forum? (crickets), I didn't think so.

William

firerescuefin
05-09-2012, 09:32 PM
This thread reminds me of seeing a dust devil that looks like it may become a tornado. Some things are better left alone....

...I don't see him going back down this road.

Elefantino
05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I wish we would, because I still have that unworn, still-with-tags Serotta Forum kit hanging in my bike closet.

Louis
05-09-2012, 10:32 PM
I wish we would, because I still have that unworn, still-with-tags Serotta Forum kit hanging in my bike closet.

I've been wearing mine. The bib straps are a bit tight, but I rate the chamois A+. One of my jerseys just made it back to the top of my pile, which means that I'll be wearing it on my next ride.

Regarding the forum and Serotta - unless we can't afford the payments (which would amaze me if that were the case) I see no reason to go back.

BumbleBeeDave
05-10-2012, 06:05 AM
. . . is not for sale that I know of--and I'm in a position to know.

BBD

Climb01742
05-10-2012, 06:20 AM
they never knew what to do with it in the first place. why would they suddenly get religion now?

beyond that, the freedom folks feel now to discuss any and all bike brands is a good step forward for the forum. why go backwards?

leooooo
05-10-2012, 06:34 AM
I have never stopped referring to this place as Serotta forum

Bruce K
05-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Nope, not going back/backwards

Despite some teething/growing pains I think we're better off on our own

I still slip once in a while and call it the Serotta Forum too, and I ought to know better! I guess old habits die hard.

BK

e-RICHIE
05-10-2012, 07:09 AM
I guess old habits die hard.

BK

This is Gary's (Kahuna) phorum atmo. He planted the seed/nurtured it.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::cool:
:):cool::cool:
:rolleyes::cool::cool:

redir
05-10-2012, 07:20 AM
I don't see the point. Maybe it's time to move on. Question for Serotta is, how much did the forum cost to run and how many bikes have you sold as a result of having a forum?

I will say though that as forums go for some reason this is a very unique one.

William
05-10-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't see the point. Maybe it's time to move on. Question for Serotta is, how much did the forum cost to run and how many bikes have you sold as a result of having a forum?

Not a lot since Serotta never really participated or tired to tap the demographics of the forum members.

I will say though that as forums go for some reason this is a very unique one.

Probably since many members have met in person and done a bit of riding together at various events over the years. The keyboard warrior mentality works best when you don't know the others personally on the screen.

William

Keith A
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
they never knew what to do with it in the first place. why would they suddenly get religion now?

beyond that, the freedom folks feel now to discuss any and all bike brands is a good step forward for the forum. why go backwards?Perfectly stated.

I have been administrating/moderating the "Serotta" forum for several years before we transitioned to The Paceline. During that time, Serotta did not provide any input nor guidance on how the forum was run. At the very end, they did want to make some changes which would have turned this into a Serotta PR device and (IMHO) would have killed the forum.

zap
05-10-2012, 08:33 AM

beyond that, the freedom folks feel now to discuss any and all bike brands is a good step forward for the forum. why go backwards?

Ben's not in charge now.

The admins have spoken with regards to this place reverting back to a Serotta forum but.....

..........I would be surprised if Serotta did not actively participate here much as Firefly does.

Fixed
05-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Why did I first like serotta cos. some of the best american racers of the day rode them . Now old guys ride them IMHO that is no way to grow
Cheers :)

Keith A
05-10-2012, 08:57 AM
..........I would be surprised if Serotta did not actively participate here much as Firefly does.And we would welcome their participation.

Bruce K
05-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Richard -

Respectfully, it was Kahuna's forum. I think it has evolved, and continues to evolve since then.

Kahuna was pretty visionary in creating the forum(s), and we certainly wouldn't be here without that vision, but I just think it has grown and changed since it was the Serotta (Owners) Forum.

BK

Ahneida Ride
05-10-2012, 09:47 AM
this thread reminds me of seeing a dust devil that looks like it may become a tornado. Some things are better left alone....

Amen! :butt:

Ahneida Ride
05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Richard and Bruce are correct ...

Kahuna got this place going.

Ti Designs
05-10-2012, 10:04 AM

What page are we on???

Earl Gray
05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
..........I would be surprised if Serotta did not actively participate here much as Firefly does.

I would be surprised if they did. Feelings/emotions run deep and they would be browbeat (by a few members) at every chance on this forum or the Vsalon.

e-RICHIE
05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
What page are we on???

I'm on Ray's page, or so it seems atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::)
:););)
:):cool::p

Birddog
05-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Kahuna had several sister/brother forums at that time too IIRC, but none of them put down roots like this one did. I always thought the beauty of this forum in the past was that Serotta had the balls to let the criticism exist without much if any censorship. You can learn a lot from dissenting opinions.

zap
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I would be surprised if they did. Feelings/emotions run deep and they would be browbeat (by a few members) at every chance on this forum or the Vsalon.

The best people in business turn negatives into positives.

Time will tell.

e-RICHIE
05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
You can learn a lot from dissenting opinions.

And I was just today wondering what happened to Gandino atmo.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/mar/MichaelVahrenwald-1.jpg

TMB
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Now that Serotta is solvent again any chance they would want to buy back the naming rights to the forum?

Ahneida Ride
05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Kahuna had several sister/brother forums at that time too IIRC, but none of them put down roots like this one did. I always thought the beauty of this forum in the past was that Serotta had the balls to let the criticism exist without much if any censorship. You can learn a lot from dissenting opinions.

I purchased my Serotta precisely because some people criticized the product.

At the time, all the other manufactures had "censored company forums"
I did not believe anything posted there.

nicrump
05-10-2012, 11:32 AM
twas the bikefanclub.com although the archives have the fist cache in '04, i remember using it as early as spring '03. maybe earlier.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20040801000000*/http://bikefanclub.com

e-RICHIE
05-10-2012, 11:53 AM
twas the bikefanclub.com although the archives have the fist cache in '04, i remember using it as early as spring '03. maybe earlier.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20040801000000*/http://bikefanclub.com

I thought Gary established that after Serotta aligned with this board, or some iteration
of it - as a way to have more Kahuna and less Ben atmo. He added all sorts of brands
and each had its own community.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::);)
:cool::);)
:cool::):p

Sandy
05-10-2012, 12:01 PM

ps

arrange disorder

:):cool::cool:
:rolleyes::cool::cool:

As I recall, prior to the Serotta forum, Gary (Kahuna) had 4 bike producers, each with its own discussion section- Serotta, Spectrum Cycles (Tom Kellogg), Calfee, and Strong Frames (Carl Strong). From that evolved the Serotta forum, from which the Velocipede forum (distinct from the Serotta Foeum) evolved, for several reasons.

Old and still evolving,

Sandy

fiamme red
05-10-2012, 12:06 PM
As I recall, prior to the Serotta forum, Gary (Kahuna) had 4 bike producers, each with its own discussion section- Serotta, Spectrum Cycles (Tom Kellogg), Calfee, and Strong Frames (Carl Strong). From that evolved the Serotta forum, from which the Velocipede forum (distinct from the Serotta Foeum) evolved, for several reasons.
I just did a search, and it seems that besides the Serotta Forum, only the Calfee Forum has survived in some guise:

http://www.calfeedesign.com/discussions-2/

As William would say: "Crickets."

dave thompson
05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I just did a search, and it seems that besides the Serotta Forum, only the Calfee Forum has survived in some guise:

http://www.calfeedesign.com/discussions-2/

As William would say: "Crickets."

The current Calfee forum is a product of Calfee Design and not related to the 'old' Hydromedia Calfee forums. Gary (Kahuna) morphed his 'phorums' into the BikeFanClub and later closed it down, I believe when his wife was quite ill. Serotta and others stepped in to rescue the Serotta part of the forums, which was the most active portion of the BikeFanClub.

LesMiner
05-10-2012, 12:31 PM

I got one too. Wait a year or two and when the Antiques Roadshow comes to your town you can bring it in. Who knows maybe the appraiser will say its a National Treasure and quote $500,000!

fiamme red
05-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Gary (Kahuna) morphed his 'phorums' into the BikeFanClub and later closed it down, I believe when his wife was quite ill. Serotta and others stepped in to rescue the Serotta part of the forums, which was the most active portion of the BikeFanClub.I seem to remember that Kahuna created the BikeFanClub (which had other brands like Kirk, Moots, Landshark, IF, Colnago, De Rosa, Merckx, Look, etc.) after Serotta had taken over the Serotta phorum.

William
05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I got one too. Wait a year or two and when the Antiques Roadshow comes to your town you can bring it in. Who knows maybe the appraiser will say its a National Treasure and quote $500,000!

Emmitt the Boxer stole mine. He's been Banned!!!

William:)

Jking...I still wear mine.

Birddog
05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I seem to remember that Kahuna created the BikeFanClub (which had other brands like Kirk, Moots, Landshark, IF, Colnago, De Rosa, Merckx, Look, etc.) after Serotta had taken over the Serotta phorum. That's how I remember it too. Kahuna passed off the Serotta Forum to Ben and Co, then started the BikeFanClub.

GANDINO epitomizes dissent.

I remember when Dave Thompson thought all frames from 54 to 60 were "just his size". Of course that's before he got into Tequila.

William
05-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I remember when Dave Thompson thought all frames from 54 to 60 were "just his size". Of course that's before he got into Tequila.

~And~, an new wardrobe.:rolleyes:

William;)

e-RICHIE
05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
GANDINO epitomizes dissent.

Dissent, but not without opinion atmo!

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:p:p:p