PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire Ride Info ??

UKBROOKLYN
05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Last week I posted a question about Cassettes for the mountains.. as I am thinking about doing a NH Ride.. now I got another one..

Has anyone done this ride or have any experience with the organisers or the locale.. Any info would be helpful

http://www.worldfellowship.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/WF-Century-Ride-Flier-final-3-07-12.pdf

It works out to around 100 bucks a day including food and lodging.. so quite a good deal...

dustyrider
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
I was born and raised in NH, and this is a popular loop to make for the leaf peepers, and the grandparent's Sunday joy ride. There's lots of tourist attractions around the area. So Pre/post tour if plans allow; you may want to check out Lake Winnipesaukee, Mt. Washington, The Flume(this is right along the route if I'm not mistaken). I'm sure there's other spots, too bad you won't get to see the Old Man in Mountain.

First off this is gorgeous country, and I'd love to explore the area on my tourer. Now that I've moved away and can more fully appreciate what the place has to offer. Only I think I'd pick a cooler month, later in the year and risk the leaf peeper traffic, or earlier in the year and risk the spotty weather and cool over nights.

July will most likely be hot and humid, so be prepared to sweat!
Bugs, of the biting variety will most likely be an issue when you're not riding.
I'm guessing on your price estimate you're camping? If so plenty of Deet on long clothing, near exposed skin is your friend.

I've never toured with a group like this but a bunch of secular types "with a mission of promoting peace and social justice through education and dialogue, inspired by nature...." could either be a great group of hosts or a nightmare.

Maybe they just use the ride as some type of sponsoring program and don't inundate you with their theology at every rest stop.
I'm not opposed to their thinking, and would welcome some level of discourse. In fact I'd bet we share very similar ideas, but I'm just not sure I'd like to hear it after a century, while enjoying an evening campfire, and a couple of cold ones.

If you do the tour plenty of pictures and a ride report would be "wicked cool".

UKBROOKLYN
05-09-2012, 10:18 PM
A quick correction here.. yes its a secular organization ergo the word theology is somewhat out of place in your critique..

I am a rampant anti theist so theres no chance I would attend anything that had anything to do with supreme beings of any kind.

From my reading of their website they sound like crunchy whole food granola types, which is ok with me. Just don't expect me to be a loud voice in the campfire sing along. It seems to be on a large patch of acreage so I imagine one could retreat from the group if it gets too ernest. (Note to self - bring at least one liter of The Famous Grouse Scotch)

The first summer I spent in the USA was spent working as a sailing instructor on a long stay summer camp near Ware NH so I am aware of the mite bites.. but appreciate the reminder.. Actually for the 100 bucks you get a private room in one of the lodges...plus three meals..

Hoping to find someone with first hand knowledge of the place..

dustyrider
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
My mistake, secular groups with the title of World Fellowship clearly don't have a world view. And to think I even read their Mission statement, as well. :confused:

I suppose "guests can study the issues of the day" that only exist in their shady little acreage, "with an endless stream of fascinating presenters and programs."

Ware did you do your internship? Ware?

All joking aside:

I read the linked form as $70 per day to participate, and $100 dollars per day for lodging. I see the error of my ways, I'm making them a lot tonight.
It sounds like a nice retreat.

I meant only to reply on the aspects of the NH that I know, but it sounds like you know NH, so another moot topic from me tonight.

Now that I've messed up twice tonight on the forum, publicly and privately, trying too hard I suppose, I guess it's time for sleep and a bit of an extended retreat from the online world.

I hope someone can tell you about the specific retreat you're interested in.
And truly hope you have a great time!

UKBROOKLYN
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
It's usually me who jumps up and down at the theists.. I have been delving deeper into their site though and it seems they came out of some world religious movement back in 1893.. The only remotely looking religious thing I could find so far was a picture with what looks like a Buddhist monk..

I did e mail one of the organizers to clarify the cost and its 70 dollars for the 4 days of riding plus the daily lodging.. so the whole 4 days will wind up costing about 600 including food... Pretty hard to beat.. but suspicious.. I don't want to get inducted into some weird cult..

leftyfreak
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
This weekend sounds pretty great to me--you're making me seriously consider it!

I've got a friend who was on the staff at the Center a number of summers ago. I've sent her an e-mail to get her opinion of the place. I'd be happy to share the gist of her thoughts.

UKBROOKLYN
05-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks so much.. yeah it sounds like it could be a great and inexpensive way to spend some time in the mountains.. with the added sag support..just in case..

Look forward to hearing more about the center..

jasond
05-10-2012, 06:32 AM
I've done the century loop multiple times with Northeast Passage, Three Notch Century. It's definitely hilly although not impossible. The kancamagus is going to be the most difficult portion of the ride. Depending on the direction you go you will either knock the kancamagus out first or last. If you are going over the Kanc from the Conway side towards Lincoln the brunt of the hill is easy, it's just the last 6 miles or so that it jumps to 6% to 7%. If you are going from the Lincoln side to the Conway side then I'd say the last 6 to 8 miles will be difficult.

Also, if the ride goes north out of North Conway then you will have to climb Crawford Notch. This hill is a little steep in portions.

The loop will also take you through Franconia Notch which will take you on the bike trails. This section is all up and down however no real sustained climbs here. Keep your momentum up.

There are sections of the ride where you might be completely exposed to a decent head wind. I remember a year where it was literally pushing me backwards.

Be careful in Bretton Woods where you have to cross the train tracks as they are at a VERY steep angle to the road. I've seen people break bones by trying to cross them while they were wet. Link to google maps, just click on the green arrow and then street view to see the train tracks. http://tinyurl.com/87gnxoo

Each time I do this ride I want a compact when climbing but then love the standard crank I'm running on the downhills. I run a standard crank and 11X26 cassette.

If you have any other questions about the loop please feel free to PM me.

J

Viper
05-10-2012, 07:01 AM
I read their website, too. Lately, maybe it's just me, but I am afraid of non-for-profits. Not shark in the water-type fear, but I squint hard at the NFP-scene. I was surprised to see them state promotion of "progressive values" in one hand, but in the next paragraph discuss how they are open, "to all ideas". Maybe I'll view non-profits differently one day, just not yet.

Oddly, people forget Teddy Roosevelt's roots and some politicos today who'd not agree with progressivism, forget this man's face is carved into a mountain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Mountrushmore.jpg

If it's about the bike, enjoy the ride. If it's something else calling you to the group, enjoy that as well.

I've put a lot of miles on my Waterford up in NH and enjoyed them all. Bring a big cassette, better to be safe than sorry and enjoy the ride. I'm a wolf, ride alone and don't join any groups other than a Cycling Forum and Battlestar Galactica weekly meetings.

PS: If there is anyone else to be placed at Rushmore, it should be Cornelius:

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium/mt-rushmore-completed-vincent-von-frese.jpg

:beer:

MattTuck
05-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Riding in the whites will be great! Kanc was resurfaced a few years ago, and I think all the hurricane damage has been repaired.

Here are a couple links that may be helpful.

http://www.nebikes.com/?PageName=11

http://www.redjerseycyclery.com/

Have you seen the movie wanderlust? If not, watch it before you go to this group. It sounds like either a commune or a cult. But don't worry, I don't think you'll be indoctrinated in just a few days.

merlinmurph
05-10-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm familiar with the area, but had no idea where Albany is. Looking at a map, that's in a great area. Rte 16 is no bargain around there, and I'd avoid riding it.
The routes they have look very nice. Bear Notch is great and Tamworth would be a beautiful ride. The century is a great ride with lots of climbs, just be careful when you get to Franconia Notch where the Old Man used to be. The bike route is on a bike path which will have tons of day trippers on it, mostly walkers. There's some steep downhills here and you'll want to let loose, but there will be way too many people and you'll have to be on the brakes.

I say go for it.
Enjoy,
Murph

leftyfreak
05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
So I heard back from my friend who worked there a few summers ago, and here's what she said:

WF is a fun place to be. A nice lake to swim in, some chill folks. Very rural, not super fancy accommodations, but certainly cozy. Good food. I'd recommend it!

She made no mention of being considered about a political agenda being pushed on her, but of course, she did go to Smith College and still lives in Northampton, MA, which makes her a card-carrying "granola/crunchy" sort.

Personally, I'm very much thinking of going, as long as I can work out my lower back issues. Keep me posted on your plans--we could even consider carpooling.

Viper
05-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Dear UKBROOKLYN,

I say you go for it. Sign up. Seems like a great time and that neck of the woods is great for cycling. If you do get some cooties from a political agenda, text me for a rescue-evac and I'll come get you out; armed with nothing more than a full windsor knot I can walk into that camp and extract you. Or, if upon your return, you feel brainwashed, call me and I'll visit you, bring you a sweater vest, which we can wear and I'll give you a cootie-shot.

Go for it and enjoy.

Regards,
Viper