PDA

View Full Version : any success importing TCX files into garmin 500/800 gps units?

wallymann
05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
using the ridewithgps.com website, you can build routes and export TCX files (essentially digital moving-map routes w/ cue-sheets) that *supposedly* can be imported directly into a garmin 500/800 gps unit.

i have a 500 incoming and i'm keen to use this capability for long cycling rides/tours on unfamiliar roads as well as long-distance motorcycle routes, wondering if anyone has had any success importing a generated TCX into a garmin and actually using it as advertised.

gone
05-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Sure, it's easy:

Connect the Garmin to your computer as a drive.
Open the folder associated with the drive.
There should be a folder named "Garmin" there, open it.
There might be a folder named GPX there, if there is open it, if not, create one.
Copy your tcx file to that folder.
Safely remove the device.

Fire up the Garmin, press "menu" -> "Where to" -> "saved routes" and your tcx file should be there with whatever name the route had.

kramnnim
05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I think I had to use the Garmin Training Center software to convert and import the route to my 500...and even then it worked poorly. I missed a turn and couldn't get the unit to recognize when I was back on track. Could easily have been user error, though...