PDA

View Full Version : Assos bibs

Needs Help
09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
1) What model would be two tone black and grey with a perforated tan chamois? I looked on the Assos website, and I don't see it, so I think it must be an older model.

2) Are they any good?

Thanks.

Argos
09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Not sure, it may be an older model....

As for quality, I only ride in their FI-13 bibs. Why invest alot in a bike and not in the technology in your clothes? They are rediculously comfortable and the best I've ever ridden.

As a caveat, I was given a pair of Nike's Bibs, the Discovery Team bibs, to test ride, and they were very nice, too, but I'm partial to the assos for longer rides. I won't be using the Nike's, 'cept maybe for cross or MTB.

(nobody is gonna compare these to $30 performance shorts with a straight face, are they?)

dsimon
09-07-2005, 10:27 PM
sounds like either the evo's or champissimos's(sp)? everone i have talked to prefers them..... :beer:

saab2000
09-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Some of the best shorts I ever had were about $30, about 15 years ago. Call it $50 today. They fit well and the chamois/pad did not feel like a diaper, like most of today's spendy shorts.

I am extemely loyal to most things Swiss, but Assos clothing is overpriced in a way that it makes Record components look like a raging bargain.

So there.

Needs Help
09-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I am extemely loyal to most things Swiss, but Assos clothing is overpriced in a way that it makes Record components look like a raging bargain.
Thanks for the info. The Assos bibs I'm looking at are on sale for $85. A replacement Record carbon brake lever is $80. :)

Brian Smith
09-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Are you, Needs Help, finding some Assos bibs for $85?
My favorite Campionissimos are played out...need new options.
Thanks for any leads...

Needs Help
09-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Sorry, Brian. It's a single pair at an LBS.

bshell
09-08-2005, 01:28 AM
very likely they are EVO's.

they will have the Campionissimo chamois and fabric. the only difference will be the addition of those grey "evo" panels in the thigh (and mid back?).

the Campionissimo bibs(long gone but for New Old Stock) feel way better AND last longer than the FI-13.

those 2 models were the top of the line and retailed for $175.

i'm sad they are gone.

Needs Help
09-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the info.

The Spider
09-08-2005, 04:15 AM
bshell,

your going to be jealous of this....My campionissimo EVO's have been retro-fitted with a F1-13 chamois and Assos silicon grippers....they are the ducks guts! 5 years old and the lycra is THE best yet in the Assos range (although the current roubaix leggings is pretty good too!)

Needs help....explain the "grey" part to me...is it solid grey...like titanium...or is it a black/white check...and where is it located? Lower inner thigh portion (and lower back)

Ray
09-08-2005, 07:57 AM
(nobody is gonna compare these to $30 performance shorts with a straight face, are they?)
I was gonna keep my trap shut, but if you're gonna insist... I can't compare 'em - haven't tried Assos bibs. BUT, I'll tell you that the $60 Performance bibs (on sale price) are extremely comfortable for me. If I can ride 100 tough miles in a set of bibs and never have to think about them, I'm not gonna spend 3-4 times as much to possibly be slightly more comfortable.

If you can't get comfortable in cheaper shorts and can in the Assos, then they're clearly worth it. But if you're incredibly comfortable in the Performance bibs, why spend way more? Put it into that next frame instead.

-Ray

Argos
09-08-2005, 08:58 AM
HaHa! Touche!

znfdl
09-08-2005, 09:01 AM
I have tried the Performance shorts with the elastic chamois and I can say is ouch. The shorts are good for about 20miles before I want to rip them off. My favorites are rhe assos campannisimos (sp).

I am going to try a pair of the Girodana Tenax bibs, thank Jerk. I will let people know once I do a century or more on how the Tenax compare to the Assos.

Needs Help
09-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Needs help....explain the "grey" part to me...is it solid grey...like titanium...or is it a black/white check...and where is it located? Lower inner thigh portion (and lower back)
Solid titanium/gray panel on the inner thigh, and the back and suspenders are black. The chamois is a very light tan with a bunch of holes punched in it, and it's a uniform thickness throughout.

The Spider
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm officially useless...I've got a pretty good memory...and I can't remember a pair like that in the 5 years I've been buying. The tan chamois tells us that they are at least 3 years old as the elastic interface started at the F1-13 but then went through the entire line the next season (F1 mille, 3/4 mille, uno etc)...the elastic interface is BRIGHT orange.

I'm out...may the TRUE Assos expert step forward!

PS with the perferated chamois buy yourself a tub of Chamois cream, sometimes they get a little stiff after washing and just need a light (no Hellentour Zabel shorts here!) application to keep them flexible and comfortable.

Needs Help
09-08-2005, 04:40 PM
PS with the perferated chamois buy yourself a tub of Chamois cream, sometimes they get a little stiff after washing and just need a light (no Hellentour Zabel shorts here!) application to keep them flexible and comfortable.
Ok, thanks.

jimh
09-08-2005, 07:57 PM
The bibs you are asking about are the EVO, I have a pair and love them. I don't think they make them any longer. If you have a chance to get some don't hesitate.

csm
09-08-2005, 08:11 PM
if they don't make them anymore, can buy yours?

jimh
09-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Mine are not for sale. lets not revisit that thought. After they are worn out you can have them.

csm
09-08-2005, 08:19 PM
I am partial to the nikes. i can get them out of the box and fresh.

Needs Help
09-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I described them wrong earlier. The whole front half of the shorts is gray, and the back half of the shorts is black as are the straps. The perforated tan chamois does have some contouring and varies in thickness.

bshell
09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
there is a panel on the back, between the straps that will have a picture of a cyclist riding away from you. it will read...

assos
(rider)
campionissimo
prosline
mod.classic
acdx

now somebody please hook a brother up with a pair in large!

Needs Help
09-08-2005, 11:25 PM
No panel. The back between the straps is mesh. There's a tag inside the shorts that says:

Assos CH 6854 San Pietro di Stabio/Tl

The Spider
09-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Assos nostalgia:

Remember the red drawstring bag the Campionissimo shorts used to come in?

That (and the credit card bill) let you know that you were buying some high-end shorts!

The 'tan' chamois is throwing me...can anyone help?