PDA

View Full Version : If I don't have a spoke cutter, what's the best tool to use to cut spokes?

akelman
05-09-2012, 10:33 AM
I want to cut some hubs out of a built wheel, but I don't have a spoke cutter. What's the best tool -- perhaps a cable cutter* -- to use instead? Other than the sharp edge of my intellect, of course. Thanks!

* Or will I destroy the cable cutter?

rugbysecondrow
05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Pincher part of vice grips.

J.Greene
05-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Make sure the wheel is un tensioned whatever you use. I have some small cheap bolt cutters but a Dremel with cutoff wheel would be fast too. Or you could just use a spoke wrench. It doesn't take that long.

echelon_john
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM
if you're saving the rim, detension spokes first, then clip. i use a pair of lineman's pliers which have a nice cutting surface that my friend's dad gave me when i was 10.

if you're not saving the rim, you can just go ahead and clip. but detensioning will make it safer.

akelman
05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
if you're saving the rim, detension spokes first, then clip. i use a pair of lineman's pliers which have a nice cutting surface that my friend's dad gave me when i was 10.

if you're not saving the rim, you can just go ahead and clip. but detensioning will make it safer.

Thanks!

JayBay
05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
These.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945084000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

Get the Craftsman brand too, so you can get a free replacement after you dull the hell out of it cutting spokes ;)

akelman
05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I should have said, "Thanks, everyone!"

nighthawk
05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
DOn't use cable cutters.. it'll ruin them. Bolt cutters is the way to go.

MattTuck
05-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Make sure the wheel is un tensioned whatever you use. I have some small cheap bolt cutters but a Dremel with cutoff wheel would be fast too. Or you could just use a spoke wrench. It doesn't take that long.

Reminds me of a possibly false urban legend, that says if you cut all the strings in a piano simultaneously, the wood frame would literally explode apart, as so much tension is removed at once.

Wonder if you could get the same thing to happen with a rim.... would be awesome :)

JAGI410
05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Why not just put a flathead screwdriver bit in a cordless drill and remove the nipples from the bottom? If spokes are too long, loosen with spoke wrench first. Easier, safer, and probably faster.

ergott
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I have a set of Park cable cutters that I dedicated to cutting spokes. They work great for that, but it ruined them for cutting shift/brake cables. I have Felco for that.

Lineman or dykes would work, but they should be beefy ones. Spokes aren't that easy to cut.

echelon_john
05-09-2012, 10:54 AM
no explosion, but the tensioned spokes move pretty quick when you cut them, so getting cut by one isn't out of the question. that's another vote for longer lineman's pliers IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000302W6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003OD1QIA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05HSYJBE4RWG38C3NSQ9

Reminds me of a possibly false urban legend, that says if you cut all the strings in a piano simultaneously, the wood frame would literally explode apart, as so much tension is removed at once.

Wonder if you could get the same thing to happen with a rim.... would be awesome :)

ergott
05-09-2012, 10:57 AM

When the rim is done, I've cut pairs of spokes at a time from a fully tensioned wheel. I cut them at the crossing. It's a bit scary at first, but nothing exciting happens. I wouldn't stare down at the spoke exiting the rim when I do it. They can pop out.

ultraman6970
05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Dremel can cut any spoke if that's what u need to cut, the cut will be clean and fast.

slowgoing
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM

Mythbusters material?

Mark McM
05-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Modern pianos use iron frames, not wood. These are very stiff (as they need to be so that the string vibrations have can long sustains), so I doubt they store much energy from the string tension.

thwart
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Just finished cutting out spokes on a wheel my daughter taco'd...

A Wiss tinsnips worked just fine.

rustychisel
05-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Mythbusters material?

No. As my partner pointed out last week they're only interested in stuff they can use explosives on, or results in fire.

dustyrider
05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
No. As my partner pointed out last week they're only interested in stuff they can use explosives on, or results in fire.

Yeah I've sorta fallen out of the mythbuster club myself.
I think the episode where they try to prove myths from movies is what did it. I mean CGI scenes are myths period no need to try to disprove them or prove them. Unless you take into account the above.

To OP:
Now, as far as cutting spokes is concerned, it sounds like you've got plenty of good advice, so have fun!

oliver1850
05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
why cut spokes, when you have po' folk who will use used ones?