PDA

View Full Version : Dogs are God's special gift

Wilkinson4
05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I have just been sucker punched. Today was yearly checkup time for my special boy Riley. He is 8yrs old and as a single guy, he is my little boy... My love for him is beyond words, and his love for me is beyond that.

Today the Vet found some swollen lymph nodes behind his rear knees. At first, it just didn't register... He thought maybe due to his acute allergies this time of the year they may have been inflamed so it seemed reasonable to me. But, he wanted to take a few biopsy samples and he didn't like what he saw.

Riley is my first dog. I had dogs growing up, but he is my first. I have had him since he was 7 weeks old. I really can't imagine life without him:( In fact, I've been thinking about that recently knowing he was getting older... I was always comforted that he had a few good years left in him.

This is a cruel thing. I won't know for sure for a few days. And I have already cried a few times since we came from the vet, even while throwing him the ball because all he wanted to do was play.

Please send good dog karma my way. I really am not sure what I'll do. I see that chemo is a good option for lymphoma in dogs. If he can live a happy life, be loved and not suffer, that is what I'll do. I'll take that suffering little buddy as it eats me up inside, while we play, hike, and share some ice cream. I'll always remember you, how you see me and how I see you.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7150/6733905755_e934b67281_b.jpg

mIKE

Louis
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear that Mike. Riley looks like he's a great guy.

I'm also single, and except for the short periods when my sister or my parents are in town to visit, my cats are my family, and have been my buddies for the longest time. Having a sick pet is tough.

Hopefully this will be a false alarm, but if it isn't, all I can suggest is that you remember the good times you and Riley had together and how much he enjoyed being with you.

Best of luck to Riley and to you.

Louis

junkfood
05-08-2012, 10:55 PM
I hope the best for Riley and yourself. He is a beautiful guy!

Jake

TMB
05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Mike,

That is a beautiful boy, Beautiful.

I have had, loved and lost many babies over the years and they all live forever with you.

But at this point, don't despair. You have no idea how much time you two have left together and you will cherish every second of it.

So go give your baby a hug and look forward to all of your time still to come.

4Rings6Stars
05-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Sometimes I curse (well not that intense) my mother for raising me to love animals so much, but I'm the exact same way.

My cat (MY little buddy, who I love more than I think I could ever love a human child) had crystals form in his bladder this winter which blocked his urinary tract, causing kidney failure... Vet told me it would be a long and expensive recovery and he might recover. I sold a bike, spent my engagement ring savings and borrowed from MasterCard and my parents....He's peeing like a champ now and even though most people think I'm crazy for spending $4K on a cat, I couldn't be happier with the decision.

I'll be praying for Riley and hoping it's not as bad as it looks and if it is, that he reacts well to the treatment.

maxdog
05-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Sending some of my good karma Riley's way.

CaptStash
05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm with you Mike. I have had the honor of sharing most of my adult life with a series of wonderful dogs. They always break my heart when they go, and the next one (there has always been a next one), never cease to surprise me with a new set of fun mannerisms, goofy screw-ups and unconditional love.

I hope you get great news and that Riley is just fine. If not, cherish and enjoy your moments with him, and remember that he will tell you when it's time to say goodbye. No matter what, he will live forever in your heart.

Saul aka CaptStash....

tuxbailey
05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I wish him good luck.

Ken C
05-08-2012, 11:33 PM
My wife and I just read your post and our hearts go out to you and Riley. We are thinking of him and hope the best. We adopted our first dog and he is a member of our family so we can understand the pain.

Thanks for sharing your story. We wish the best for Riley and you.

Rudy
05-09-2012, 12:15 AM
No one of us, canis familiaris nor homo sapiens, knows the day nor hour. Savor and remember every single moment for in the end our fond memories are our greatest comfort.

My beauty Ammerican Pitbull Terrier sniffs your handsome spaniel's butt and wags a nice soft tail. Great dog park here in Durango. We'll romp tomorrow for you both.

soulspinner
05-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Hang in there Mike. Losing my Newfoundland Rufus (kennel name Jolly Rogers life of Riley) was tough. Some times I dream he is alive. Best to you and your bud Riley.

Climb01742
05-09-2012, 04:36 AM
riley really does look like a wonderful, handsome, happy boy. i wish him and you only the best. sometimes it feels as though our dogs are our chance to practice all the shades of love, the beautiful and the sad, a few times in our lives. hope you and riley have a lot more games of catch together.

Ginger
05-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Riley is beautiful

When I was growing up my mom and dad raised springer spaniels for field work (bird dogs), mostly springer spaniels. We had a dog who had a run of benign (spelling...) tumors on her legs, Old Mooch who had them from about 9 lived until she was past 13. They didn't bother her much at all until the end.

I hope Riley's news is better news than the vet expects.

Bruce K
05-09-2012, 04:56 AM
We're all wishing you and Riley the best.

BK, Mrs. K, Diefenbaker (dog), Cricket (cat), and Puff (kitten who thinks he's a dog)

Johnnyg
05-09-2012, 06:13 AM
The unconditional love they give is truly amazing. I am going through a slow decline with my Samoyed,Karina, who has a tumor and is 14. Reading all the posts gives me strength and I hope it does the same for you. Enjoy every minute and all the best to you and your dog.

R2D2
05-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Things can work out for the best.

My German Shepard Zeus was rushed into surgery a week ago when the Vet found a growth in his abdomen.
We had been thru something similar a few Thanksgivings ago when Zeus was playing soccer with some kids in the backyard and his stomach flipped.
The vet was peeved he had to come in T-day. He was peeved until he saw the X-ray and then immediately operated to save his live.

Well this time it seemed worse, and there was a tumor which had grown around his small intestine. But they were able to re-section and it turned out
well.
Then we got the call.
The Vet was totally embarassed and explained they had left a small piece of surgical sponge in Zeus from the 1st operation. So he couldn't sleep w/o telling us and reimbursing us for the second surgery.
They'll always be my vet now! Period!

So I know how worried you can get but it can turn out good.
And here's hoping it does in your dog's case.

toolman605
05-09-2012, 06:42 AM
So sorry to hear that!
I have a Riley too - my 12 year old golden is named Riley.
I know exactly how you feel - hope everything works out well!

djg
05-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm sorry about this and wish you and Riley the best.

We had a hard time last fall with one of our dogs -- really, my daughter's dog, a miniature schnauzer. I feel for you.

vav
05-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Hi Riley,Bruno says get better so you can be a bum like me :)

tele
05-09-2012, 07:11 AM
My mutt Boss wishes Riley the best and tells him to lift his leg high today.

Viper
05-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Riley is Irish. He'll be just fine.

:beer:

conserativerider
05-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Dogs are a heartbreak waiting to happen!!!

I love my dogs and wish the best for Riley and you. By the way, Riley is a great looking dog.

flydhest
05-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Lucy is in my avatar and in my heart, but has been gone for four years now. I still miss her just about every day.

jlyon
05-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Dog's are a special guft from God. Our prayers are with you.

Fixed
05-09-2012, 09:02 AM
My dog penny goes almost everywhere I go and is my best friend she is nine
She has a couple of years ahead oh her ... I will make sure they are great years
I would get a second opinion he looks like a beautiful dog

Cheers

DHallerman
05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Our good friends Indy and Brady send happy woofs to Riley.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24440195/happy-dogs-small.jpg

LET'S PLAY!
I know how close you can feel with your dog.
We've had these guys for only five months -- brothers we adopted -- and they are in our hearts entirely.

chwupper
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Best wishes to both of you! I can't imagine not having my beautiful, goofy pitbull with me the rest of my life, but I know that won't happen. I can only try to make the best of each day with her.

slowgoing
05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Good luck.

I have a friend whose dog went through chemo for the same thing. It works well and pushes them into remission for what is generally a set period of time. Gives you a chance to spoil him even more.

roguedog
05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Sending some healthy doggie karma. Still miss mine. As others have said they're with you always.

PS. Love all these photos. Perhaps we ought to have a Paceline Pets thread.

Jaq
05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Friend of mine, a colorful guy from New York, he's a serial dater kind, and every time the last relationship ends and we go out for drinks, he says he just can't find the right girl. So we ask him "what's the right girl?"

"One day," he says, "I come home from work and walk up this flight of steps to my front door. Only when I get up there, my dog comes haulin' ass out to meet me, tail waggin' like he hasn't seen me in a month of Sundays. An' this is a big dog, you know, an' he hits me doin' like a f--kin' firetruck, an' the two of us, we just go ass over teakettle all the way back down them f--kin' stairs. An' we're tumbling and rollin' and sh-t's flyin' everywhere and about halfway down I hear somethin' snap and the dog lets out this wail like he's just been shot.

"Finally, we hit the bottom an' I dunno how, but I'm okay, so I stand up an' look down an' there's Smudgy, and his front leg's all busted up an' he's just lyin' there in a world of hurt. So I start cryin' like a f--kin' baby - an' he's the one who's hurt - an' I reach down an' pick him up an' he just looks up at me with those big brown eyes, wags his tail and gives me a big sloppy wet lick right across my face.

"Now. You find me a woman like that, an' I'll marry her in a f--kin' heartbeat."

redir
05-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Hope the best for your little guy. I know how pets can be. My GF at the time, now my wife, wanted to get two cats. This was 12 years ago. Cats to me were nothing more then wild animals you let out and they do their own thing. Not much of a pet IMO until we got little Walnut and Koa. I never realized how great a cat could be as a pet. We lost Walnut when she was 10. Taken away from us way to young. But it was ten years of lots of laughs and lots of joy and lots of psychological healing too.

It sucks when they go but it's really just a microcosm of our own existence on a different time scale. Live every day to the fullest because any day can be your last.

Good luck and best wishes.

rphetteplace
05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
We did the whole enchilada with chemo on our Golden 3 years ago. PM me for more details if you'd like. I wish your boy the best, it's the crappiest of crappy things to have happen.

Ryan, Chance, & the Hog

Wilkinson4
05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
This has been pretty hard but I thought I would update everybody. First, I want to give a shout out to Ryan for some really good information and Sandy for his personal experience.

Also, I didn't mean to exclude our other furry soul mates. They are all gifts! So Riley has been diagnosed with B-Cell Lymphoma Sarcoma Sub category A, that means he is generally healthy.

X-rays showed no mass tumors but he has enlarged lymph nodes, the only sign he had something going on. The largest being about .5cm.

Today was a big day... We had decided early that we would go through a round of Chemo based on what I have read and some input from Ryan. Dogs take the protocols very well, mostly because their dosage is less that what a human will take because the goals are different.

We made the drive up to the CSU Animal Cancer Center for treatment. Overall, we were feeling really good about the prognosis since he was in great shape.

But we had to do a Complete Blood Count. Everything was normal, except then the bad news. He has what they call Lympoblast detected in his blood meaning that the bone marrow is involved. That shook me up. Stage 5.

It really is puzzling that a dog so healthy can have this. Without treatment he's terminal in 6-8 weeks. We also discussed a trial program but the timing wasn't going to work out so we opted for what they call the CHOP protocol.

He took the first round of his multi-dose very well. No side affects so far. It is a 15 week protocol and the median life expectancy is 12-18 months.

I can't tell you how difficult this is. After the diagnosis, I was pretty depressed and I have only ridden a few times since. My Dirty Kanza plans ditched.

Now that we have a plan it is a little easier to cope but still difficult. I'm pretty attached to the furry beast. And he has been really spoiled his whole life and I think I have even out done that in the last few weeks.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide an update and say thanks to everybody. The good vibes are always welcome and Riley says arf too.

mIKE

Louis
05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the update Mike - just the other day I was thinking of Riley.

Best of luck with the treatment.

Louis

monkeybanana86
05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
what a cutey. I wish you the best. I love dogs

oliver1850
05-31-2012, 10:30 PM
I've been thinking about him too, and wondering how treatment was going. I wish the news was better. I hope you get at least the median results, and have lots of good days in the coming months.

metalheart
05-31-2012, 11:07 PM
My best wishes for your Riley ... I have a liver and white Brittany named Riley and an orange and white named Bella, both rescue dogs. These family members are special gifts and my best wishes for your family.

R2D2
06-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Thnaks for the update.
We'll keep the prayer light lit!

srice
06-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Riley, but please do not give up hope. One of my Bedlington Terriers went lame at 10 months old and was eventually diagnosed after exploratory surgery with osteosarcoma of the spine. The cancer was removed during the surgery, but the best estimate was 12-15 months. The little guy turned 4 this past January and is still going strong having established himself as the alpha dog in the pack. Hang in there!

rphetteplace
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm very glad you decided to treat. Enjoy the time you have with your boy. Take as many pictures and road trips as possible.

One of my best memories of Copper was mid way through the CHOP protocol we were in SD for a week and there was a steakhouse in town and we'd bring him a filet for carryout every night. He thought that was the coolest.

Ryan

Black Dog
06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
We lost our 8 year old lab last summer after she ate some rat poison. It was brutal and we thought that we would never get past it. In some ways we will not and that is not a bad thing. Many many tears shed.

Enjoy the love that you have for your dog, enjoy every minute. None of this will be easy but it is your time to return all the love that he has given you and then some. There is only the present.

Do not be afraid to reach out here. There are a lot if us that know what you are dealing with and we are, without a doubt, willing to listen and help as best we can.

TMB
06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
We lost our 8 year old lab last summer after she ate some rat poison. It was brutal and we thought that we would never get past it. In some ways we will not and that is not a bad thing.
Enjoy the love that you have for your dog, enjoy every minute. None of this will be easy but it is your time to return all the love that he has given you and then some. There is only the present.

Do not be afraid to reach out here. There are a lot if us that know what you are dealing with and we are, no doubt happy to listen and help as best we can.

Is this the one that features heavily in the travels of BlackCanoeDog?

If so, I want you to know how much I have enjoyed the adventures of you and your companion, and I am sorry. But that dog had a life that very few others had.

If I made a mistake, I am sorry in any event.

I have lost too many of my best friends over the years and I am not sure the pain ever truly goes away.

TMB
06-01-2012, 06:42 PM
This has been pretty hard but I thought I would update everybody. First, I want to give a shout out to Ryan for some really good information and Sandy for his personal experience.

Also, I didn't mean to exclude our other furry soul mates. They are all gifts! So Riley has been diagnosed with B-Cell Lymphoma Sarcoma Sub category A, that means he is generally healthy.

X-rays showed no mass tumors but he has enlarged lymph nodes, the only sign he had something going on. The largest being about .5cm.

Today was a big day... We had decided early that we would go through a round of Chemo based on what I have read and some input from Ryan. Dogs take the protocols very well, mostly because their dosage is less that what a human will take because the goals are different.

We made the drive up to the CSU Animal Cancer Center for treatment. Overall, we were feeling really good about the prognosis since he was in great shape.

But we had to do a Complete Blood Count. Everything was normal, except then the bad news. He has what they call Lympoblast detected in his blood meaning that the bone marrow is involved. That shook me up. Stage 5.

It really is puzzling that a dog so healthy can have this. Without treatment he's terminal in 6-8 weeks. We also discussed a trial program but the timing wasn't going to work out so we opted for what they call the CHOP protocol.

He took the first round of his multi-dose very well. No side affects so far. It is a 15 week protocol and the median life expectancy is 12-18 months.

I can't tell you how difficult this is. After the diagnosis, I was pretty depressed and I have only ridden a few times since. My Dirty Kanza plans ditched.

Now that we have a plan it is a little easier to cope but still difficult. I'm pretty attached to the furry beast. And he has been really spoiled his whole life and I think I have even out done that in the last few weeks.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide an update and say thanks to everybody. The good vibes are always welcome and Riley says arf too.

mIKE

Mike,

I am so very sorry to read this, but, you still have time together and you will both love and treasure every second of it.

My wife is Saskatoon right now at the clinic at the Vet college with our 6 year old Springer. This has been his second trip in the last couple of months but we now know what the issue is ( an undiagnosed chronic fracture of the hip ) and he will go back in August for surgery.

We are fortunate, but the not knowing and imagining all of the worst outcomes are terrible.

I read your OP, and this update and could not reply at all until today from the fear I still had waiting to hear about our guy.

I have lost so many of my best friends, you know that you will never open your heart to another one just to feel that pain again, and yet you do, and the joy they bring you is immeasurable.

Enjoy every minute and second you two have.

William
06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Sending good karma your way and hope everything turns out great. We lost Bruno Boxer last year, on Memorial day. But, Emmitt Boxer and Rhea Basset are still with us and they are sending good K9 karma your way as well.:)

William

martinrjensen
06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Good luck and best wishes. I'm a cat guy but it really doesn't matter in this respect. I hope for the best.

rodcad
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
sorry to hear this Mike. Let me know when your up for a ride and we'll meet up somewhere.

Dekonick
06-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Dogs rule.

I know you will do the right thing when the time comes... until then, may you both have a lifetime and more to spend together. I dread the time when I will face the same decision.

Give him a scrinch from me - and Truckie sends a lick and a bark.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Dek.

jghall
06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you Mike, and Riley. Best wishes.

axel23
06-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Our heart goes out to you . . .

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=81818&stc=1&d=1305944398

Wilkinson4
06-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks all. We really appreciate all the good thoughts:) Also, thanks for sharing your stories as well. I know that it is hard do that and I think it might be therapeutic when given the opportunity for all of us. Regal looking dog Axel!

Here is a pic of Riley when he was a pup back in 2003. He was the cutest puppy I ever saw.

mIKE

oliver1850
06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
great pic Mike!

Wilkinson4
12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi All,

I have been meaning to send an update. Right now, it is 15 degrees out and my little boy is curled up next to me covered with a wool blanket snoring away. It was a long summer. We decided on Chemotherapy and we went up to CSU in Ft. Collins almost every week throughout the summer. He went into remission immediately, but it wasn't without challenges. We decided on a 15 week protocol, they called it CHOP. The initial dosage is something called Vincristine, and it would do a number on his GI Tract after a few days.

Those days were very hard. He wouldn't eat or drink and I was questioning it and if I did the right thing. He had a couple of those episodes and we had to do IV fluid replacement as well as a syringe of water every hour to get him hydrated. But, after a few days he would recover and the other agents didn't have nearly that effect.

Flash forward. He lost all the hair underneath, but it is slowly growing back. He is happy and active! After about 2 weeks, he really started to feel back to his old self and he just celebrated his 9th Birthday on Thursday.

He would have been gone after 4 weeks if we didn't treat him so I feel very blessed to be in the position to be able to do so. Also, thanks to everybody who sent good vibes, e-mails of what to expect, etc... It really did help.

I am not kidding myself. I know it will return. We are hoping to get through next summer and if we are lucky to his 10th birthday. But, this is all bonus time and if it comes back sooner than expected then we will have to deal with it then.

He is a great dog. Goofy and sweet and happy and that is all I can ask.

mIKE

wss
12-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Glad to read the good news. Wishing him continued good health.

krhea
12-09-2012, 12:31 PM
This made my Sunday morning. Good for you, what a holiday blessing.
I hope I'm capable of making those tough decisions for my dog when the time comes.
Someone posted the following quote on Facebook a couple days ago and I thought it was perfect.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=560333427326805&set=a.432052410154908.119858.427833303910152&type=1&ref=nf

oliver1850
12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Glad to read this as I have been wondering, but didn't want to ask. Hope you have many more good days.

BryanE
12-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Yes they are special.
And never a dull moment at dinner.
Enjoy.

rphetteplace
12-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Mike

I remember very well talking to you last summer about going the CHOP route. It's a tough road but the memories you get to make will last forever. I'm extremely happy for you and your boy. Enjoy each and every day.

Ryan

Wilkinson4
12-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Mike

I remember very well talking to you last summer about going the CHOP route. It's a tough road but the memories you get to make will last forever. I'm extremely happy for you and your boy. Enjoy each and every day.

Ryan

Thans Ryan. You were a great help and provide solid information! Riley says you're alright!

mIKE

tylerbick
12-09-2012, 03:10 PM
My most sincere hopes for you to have many more days with your beloved companion! Their love is so special, and leaves such a hole when they're gone.

My wife and I just lost our big sweet girl two months ago. She was 8 and passed very suddenly and quickly with no warning, we were playing and romping the night before and I woke early the next morning for the usual Saturday morning shop ride, and found that she could not lift herself to leave her crate to go outside. I woke my wife and told her something seemed wrong, and less than half an hour later my baby girl was gone. I feel lucky to have been by her side and able to pet her and tell her how much we loved her and that it was "ok" for her to leave. I certainly did not make the shop ride and called off from work that day and just bawled like a baby the rest of the day. I can only equate it to loosing a child or close family member. Everywhere you turn, everything reminds you of them and their former presence and the joy they brought to your life! Our two remaining (little) pups are now more coddled and spoiled than ever!

The pack:
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss338/TYLERbick_/iphonephotos226_zps1d98f9d3.jpg

From our silly Christmas card a couple of years ago:
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss338/TYLERbick_/_EAS7841_zps28a0fb50.jpg

Louis
12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm happy to hear that Riley is back to living the life of... :hello:

Best of luck in the future.

1/2 Wheeler
12-09-2012, 07:39 PM
I spent the weekend with a Britney.

She was a wonderful guest!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8258892203_649b9a0646_b.jpg

metalheart
12-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Great looking dog ... we have two rescue Brittany's Riley and Isabella. Riley was in three shelter before we adopted him ... they were ready to put him down. He is now 11 and has been a wonderful companion. Isabella was brought to a vet at age 8 months with Parvo ... her owners wanted her put down, but the vet declined and treated her. She is now 6 and is a joy to have in our lives ....

Louis
12-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Great looking dog ... we have two rescue Brittany's Riley and Isabella. Riley was in three shelter before we adopted him ... they were ready to put him down. He is now 11 and has been a wonderful companion. Isabella was brought to a vet at age 8 months with Parvo ... her owners wanted her put down, but the vet declined and treated her. She is now 6 and is a joy to have in our lives ....

Wonderful stories. :)

On the feline side of things, Nyx, one of my cats, was a stray I took in about 10 years ago back when I used to live in an apartment complex. She had five kittens and was living outside, nursing them, and sleeping in the bushes. Somebody called Animal Control (this was before I knew she was out there, so the first part of the story is what was told to me by other folks) and all they did is come out and place a baited Haveaheat trap at the side of one of the buildings and leave. She went into the trap, but the kittens were outside, and the AC folks were nowhere to be seen. Some folks who had been feeding her released her, and she continued on as before. About this time Abby, my older cat (now ~20 yrs old!) noticed something in the bushes, and upon investigating I discovered her and the kittens. I gave them some food and asked around to see if I could figure out if she had a home. That's when I was told about the trap and all that stuff. So we got organized, found homes for the kittens, and I took her in.

She's such a sweetie, I hate to think what might have happened if the Animal Control folks had returned to find her in the trap...

Nyx is the all-black short-hair, Abby the orange tabby.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=19773&stc=1&d=1165807413

molly47
12-09-2012, 09:36 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=107204&stc=1&d=1355110353

sorry your going through this, Ms Molly sends Riley a big lick.

My three dogs have kept me going, the best friends your ever have...

I send you good karma..

Fixed
12-09-2012, 09:41 PM
How do you know your past middle age ? When you are away from home for a month and miss your dog more than the wife .:confused:
Well I miss them both I am still middle aged :)
Cheers ..

Nice save :hello:

rugbysecondrow
12-10-2012, 08:27 AM

Too funny. I read this post this morning, last night I was busy picking up my new 8 month old Brittany. She is a sweet girl, very enthusiastic, she came from a loving couple but a lifestyle ill suited for a dog like this.

Anyway, great thread, great posts...couldn't agree more.

Paul

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_5312.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_5305.jpg

Louis
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
She is a sweet girl, very enthusiastic, she came from a loving couple but a lifestyle ill suited for a dog like this.

You have to wonder how much better off dogs (and humans) would be if folks put a little more effort into researching a breed's behavioral patterns and figuring out what is appropriate for their situation.

onekgguy
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Guaranteed to put a smile on your face and an awww in your heart...

Best friends! (http://youtu.be/PN-MjUC4f9k)

Keivn g

metalheart
12-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Paul,
My wife and I have been active in Brittany Rescue for many years ... these are active dogs and folks often do not realize what it takes to find the right match between the breed and the family. There is usually quite an adjustment period with a rescue Brittany, especially after they have chewed the remote control, the telephone, and torn open a few pillows and spread around the contents just to make you happy. But .... Brits love people attention and given the right fit, they are a joy to have in your life.

A few, well more than a few, years ago a Brit came into Rescue from a family that could not make a good fit with the dog. He was a bit listless and not as active as a usual Brittany. We took him to the Vet for a checkup and he had a heart condition that threatened his life. The vet said they could operate and try to repair his heart, but the chances were less than 50% he would survive.

We opted for the surgery and he did survive ... we named him Lance because he came back from near death! Lance found a home with a couple in Southern California and he became a typical Brittany with excessive energy and lots to give back to his family. He is still going strong, but I wish we had named him Wiggy, but at the time Lance seemed like the named that fit him best.

Good luck with your new Brittany and remember that it will be an adjustment period!

John

Too funny. I read this post this morning, last night I was busy picking up my new 8 month old Brittany. She is a sweet girl, very enthusiastic, she came from a loving couple but a lifestyle ill suited for a dog like this.

Anyway, great thread, great posts...couldn't agree more.

Paul

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_5312.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_5305.jpg

rugbysecondrow
12-11-2012, 06:49 AM
She does have quite a bit of energy, but she is a sweetheart. She was crazed with energy when we brought her home Sunday night, but after a day of adjustment, a yard to run in, walks etc, she is mearly exuberant. :) She is bright though, and a quick study. Although she is energetic, she is learning to sit before coming into or going out of the house, she sits when the kids tell her to and sits before she gets pets from us. She is learning the house rules quickly. I have been able to redirect her chewing some, but I also won't let her be out of her crate with out be supervised by an adult. Little by little, I expect her to work her way out of the crate once she learns the rules of the house better. Last night, we had a movie night at my house and the kid were camped out on the floor with blankets, Molly walked up and just laid right next to them...I knew then we made the right decision. Although getting an 8 month old pup meant we bit off a little more work then we originally want, it will be worth the extra effort.

She is a dog with great potential and I look forward to working with her.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,
My wife and I have been active in Brittany Rescue for many years ... these are active dogs and folks often do not realize what it takes to find the right match between the breed and the family. There is usually quite an adjustment period with a rescue Brittany, especially after they have chewed the remote control, the telephone, and torn open a few pillows and spread around the contents just to make you happy. But .... Brits love people attention and given the right fit, they are a joy to have in your life.

A few, well more than a few, years ago a Brit came into Rescue from a family that could not make a good fit with the dog. He was a bit listless and not as active as a usual Brittany. We took him to the Vet for a checkup and he had a heart condition that threatened his life. The vet said they could operate and try to repair his heart, but the chances were less than 50% he would survive.

We opted for the surgery and he did survive ... we named him Lance because he came back from near death! Lance found a home with a couple in Southern California and he became a typical Brittany with excessive energy and lots to give back to his family. He is still going strong, but I wish we had named him Wiggy, but at the time Lance seemed like the named that fit him best.

Good luck with your new Brittany and remember that it will be an adjustment period!

John

Aaron O
12-11-2012, 07:54 AM
I have a - colorful - history with dogs; for most of my life I've hated them. I was bitten a couple of times as a kid and have been terrified of dogs for years - it didn't help when a jerk's unleashed Rottweiler had me on the ground, going at my neck, before the owner called him off about 5 years ago.

Fast forward - when I first met my wife, the very first question she asked was am I afraid of dogs. I smiled, swallowed my fear, lied and said no. She was cute :p and worth it! Her's (actually her brother's) was 80 lbs and extremely protective...during the beginning of our relationship, he'd bark any time we hugged. He'd rush upstairs into the bed room and bark if we...uhhhhh...made one another's acquaintance. I was not thrilled. Slowly, over time, we learned to tolerate one another and he at least got me over some of my fear of dogs.

Monty - the dog - was actually her brother's, and eventually went to live with him (long story). Fast forward a few years - we got robbed and asked her brother to have the dog the night after. Needless to say, I learned new appreciation for him and he patrolled the downstairs and put himself between me and the window that had been the entry point. The bugger was smart, and he knew what I needed.

Lori's brother died and we took Monty in a few months ago - something changed. I love the bugger...he's smart, sweet, protective, loyal and walking him makes me happy. I love spending time with him at the park and the guy is just smart. He instinctively knows what we want, and he's happy to provide it. He is a great companion. Monty - the dog that made me love dogs:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Cats/455B28A1-7883-458B-8100-099212FDD0D6-131-00000001E98C95D5.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Cats/E625918E-1138-4F3E-A0D3-B9C1106A57C1-131-00000001EC918A7C.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Cats/D38B6EBF-1916-4BBA-9731-80C5B7C1AF75-131-00000001EE6F9250.jpg

Fiertetimestwo
12-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Aaron O- I am a sucker for sweet dog stories (and sweet dogs)- yours is a beaut! Thanks.

Nags&Ducs
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi All,

I have been meaning to send an update. Right now, it is 15 degrees out and my little boy is curled up next to me covered with a wool blanket snoring away. It was a long summer. We decided on Chemotherapy and we went up to CSU in Ft. Collins almost every week throughout the summer. He went into remission immediately, but it wasn't without challenges. We decided on a 15 week protocol, they called it CHOP. The initial dosage is something called Vincristine, and it would do a number on his GI Tract after a few days.

Those days were very hard. He wouldn't eat or drink and I was questioning it and if I did the right thing. He had a couple of those episodes and we had to do IV fluid replacement as well as a syringe of water every hour to get him hydrated. But, after a few days he would recover and the other agents didn't have nearly that effect.

Flash forward. He lost all the hair underneath, but it is slowly growing back. He is happy and active! After about 2 weeks, he really started to feel back to his old self and he just celebrated his 9th Birthday on Thursday.

He would have been gone after 4 weeks if we didn't treat him so I feel very blessed to be in the position to be able to do so. Also, thanks to everybody who sent good vibes, e-mails of what to expect, etc... It really did help.

I am not kidding myself. I know it will return. We are hoping to get through next summer and if we are lucky to his 10th birthday. But, this is all bonus time and if it comes back sooner than expected then we will have to deal with it then.

He is a great dog. Goofy and sweet and happy and that is all I can ask.

mIKE

I wish you continued health and vivaciousness for you and your boy. Riley was really a cute pup!! Love puppies. Pure. Love.