PDA

View Full Version : Started a new Ti build today (OT)...

retrofit
05-08-2012, 03:37 PM
or why my Ti Concours won't be rockin' a new Campy gruppo for a while...

Titanium dental implants; fortunately I only needed one to be installed. Upper left #14, for all you Serotta-riding dentists out there. ;) My dentist tells me that the human body loves titanium and that the bone and ti will fuse together (osseointegration).

The specs: 35 minute appointment, maybe 25 minute procedure, and 3 months for healing before installing a new tooth. Pain-meter only registered the pinch of the needle for administering the local anesthetic.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7280/6994295732_d9959c66e6_z.jpg

dave thompson
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Keep it clean with Windex and Lemon Pledge! :eek:

MattTuck
05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
those threads look uncomfortable...

Louis
05-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Shoulda had your LBS do it. I'm sure it would have been cheaper, and they work with Ti all the time... :p

130R
05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
make sure they use some.. ;)

http://clients.graphpaperpress.com/bluesixbikes/files/2011/09/tiprep.jpeg

retrofit
05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Keep it clean with Windex and Lemon Pledge! :eek:

I'm gargling Windex as we speak. Wish they had a minty favor. :)

retrofit
05-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Shoulda had your LBS do it. I'm sure it would have been cheaper, and they work with Ti all the time... :p

make sure they use some.. ;)

http://clients.graphpaperpress.com/bluesixbikes/files/2011/09/tiprep.jpeg

Stop it you're killin' me. Don't want to bust a stitch...:banana:

Grant McLean
05-08-2012, 04:04 PM
same kind of fun as spending bike money fixing the roof.

-g

retrofit
05-08-2012, 04:32 PM

-g

Yep.

wc1934
05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Is your dentist a good mechanic with small hands? A must in my book.

retrofit
05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Is your dentist a good mechanic with small hands? A must in my book.

That describes my regular dentist. The oral surgeon that performed today's procedure stands about 6'3" @ 225 lbs, large hands, but with a deft touch. In my view, dentists and surgeons are, at heart, mechanical engineers and architects.

wallymann
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
one of her incisors, right up front of her grill.has worked out very well ( touch wood ). at least 5 years now.

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Yes but many of them can't figure it out if the rear wheel needs air or even if the chain is rust. But yes they can bring Frankenstein to life w/o any problem :D

That describes my regular dentist. The oral surgeon that performed today's procedure stands about 6'3" @ 225 lbs, large hands, but with a deft touch. In my view, dentists and surgeons are, at heart, mechanical engineers and architects.

CNY rider
05-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I have one as an upper front tooth.
It's been there for about 20 years now, never a problem.
But I still remember having the implant drilled into the bone.
Pretty much the surgeon using a cordless drill, with my head back in the chair, driving this thing in.
I left a puddle of sweat like I have never seen again.
I remember thinking that if I moved, or he slipped, he was going to be doing an unplanned brain biopsy with that drill.
Can remember that feeling like it was yesterday.

eddief
05-08-2012, 07:44 PM
first time, the endodontist who pulled my tooth, offered free implant as he was considering getting into the implant biz and needed a guniea pig. We are talking $3500 worth of work for free...and he is considered a state of the art endodontist. In the end, he is a great endodontist, but very much a novice implanter. We went through the whole process and he did not do a good job. He admitted he screwed up, I would be his first and last implant patient....and he footed the complete bill to send me to a very experienced colleague.

The first one was like putting together a piece of furniture from Ikea. Slow, really slow...instructions written by someone in China...and maybe missing some of the parts.

The second one, done by a true pro, was like an amazingly simple walk in the park. So fast, I could not believe they get $3500 do it. Until I acknowledged that the knowledge and experience is worth its weight in titanium. Amazing medicine and technology.

Louis
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
To an economist any of today's problems can be understood using economics.

To a geneticist all of our problems are due to what we inherited through our genes.

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

To a cyclist, everything has an analogy in the bicycling world... ;)

retrofit
05-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Good to know others have not experienced problems with their implants.

As for the drilling, I didn't feel it as much as I anticipated (I had images of the drilling I experienced during childhood visits to the dentist). The procedure was quick and painless. I did experience a bit of soreness as the anesthetic began to wear off, but 600mg of ibuprofen took care of that.

hokoman
05-09-2012, 01:24 AM
I got one 21 years ago, i was a kid - just getting into highschool. I must have been that experiment because any experienced dentist probably would have realized my face and jaw was still developing, but with new crowns to adjust for my changing head - it's been rock solid for all those years.

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm gargling Windex as we speak. Wish they had a minty favor. :)

Not sure if you knew this but you can actually consume windex..doesn't make you sick.

Louis
05-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Not sure if you knew this but you can actually consume windex..doesn't make you sick.

Do they prescribe it for heart arrhythmia? ;)

Speaking of which, have you seen the doc yet?

Cinci Jim
05-09-2012, 02:54 AM
This is why dentists can afford to ride Serottas! The wife got one done last year, insurance only covered 65%. Not sure why it was so low - to discourage people from getting one?

soulspinner
05-09-2012, 04:22 AM

-g

11800 for roof and gutters=no Parlee:bike:

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Do they prescribe it for heart arrhythmia? ;)

Speaking of which, have you seen the doc yet?

I know right? I wish haha. Don't ask me how I found that out, you don't want to know.

I have an appointment tomorrow..also I am going to go to a performance lab and have some tests done while I am at it too so I will let you guys know the results.

rwsaunders
05-09-2012, 07:12 PM

My dentist friend calls himself a civil engineer of the mouth. Builds bridges, drills for canals, fills cavities....

Elefantino
05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I have one as an upper front tooth.
It's been there for about 20 years now, never a problem.
But I still remember having the implant drilled into the bone.
Pretty much the surgeon using a cordless drill, with my head back in the chair, driving this thing in.
I left a puddle of sweat like I have never seen again.
I remember thinking that if I moved, or he slipped, he was going to be doing an unplanned brain biopsy with that drill.
Can remember that feeling like it was yesterday.
I would have left a puddle of something else.

Just reading your description makes me feel like puddling. :eek:

jerome
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Have you heard about composite fibers implant, I have a few all depends how much roots you still have.
Ti will be screwed in your bones.

retrofit
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Have you heard about composite fibers implant, I have a few all depends how much roots you still have.
Ti will be screwed in your bones.

Trying to start a carbon vs. Ti flame war??:p

Seriously though, I haven't heard of the composite fiber implant. Wouldn't do me any good as the reason we went with the Ti implant is because I needed to have the root extracted. The original tooth had a root canal and an old fashioned post and crown years ago. When the root split in two three months ago, the post wouldn't hold anymore. I had the root extracted, allowed the bone to heal over the past 3 months, and followed through with the implant this week.

russ46
05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
You sure what was implanted wasn't those new design cable housing ferrules?