PDA

View Full Version : Creaking - chainring bolts or BB or ?

jmoore
05-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I get a very light creak every pedal revolution for the first 10-15 minutes of every ride. Then it goes away until I really crank on the pedals, like a standing climb or something similar. Then it comes back until I start spinning a bit easier.

I went over the bike and tightened everything down but it's still there. Do I need to pull the cranks and tighten the bolts down again and then check the BB, or is there somewhere else I should be looking. The BB is flush with the frame. I swear I got everything but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

DRietz
05-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Is your derailleur hanger replaceable?

Check it.

monkeybanana86
05-08-2012, 07:48 PM
My creaks bug the **** out of me! In fact I'm still chasing one on my "nice" bike. Once, to my surprise, I found that my skewers were making noises against the fork and this would happen would I would get out of the saddle or really push up some climbs so I had to put some grease there. What about the bearings in your pedals. I have had to readjust mine on several pairs multiple times. Headset too tight?

wc1934
05-08-2012, 07:49 PM
pedals/cleats?

Bob Loblaw
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
A commonly overlooked creak is the pedal itself, not the bearings. Put a thin coating of grease on the surface of the pedal and everywhere your cleat touches, then a drop or two of oil in the spring mechanism.

BL

tuxbailey
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Maybe this thread could help.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=105863

kenw
05-08-2012, 11:59 PM
front quick release?

biker72
05-09-2012, 06:11 AM
front quick release?

+1

oldpotatoe
05-09-2012, 07:38 AM
I get a very light creak every pedal revolution for the first 10-15 minutes of every ride. Then it goes away until I really crank on the pedals, like a standing climb or something similar. Then it comes back until I start spinning a bit easier.

I went over the bike and tightened everything down but it's still there. Do I need to pull the cranks and tighten the bolts down again and then check the BB, or is there somewhere else I should be looking. The BB is flush with the frame. I swear I got everything but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Ride the bike w/o cycling shoes-still there?
Yes?-swap pedals-still there?
Yes?-swap rear wheel-still there?

Look at the BB, but noises are vexing, they can be almost anything.

Try to nail down, frequency, every pedal stroke? Same pedal? Standing, sitting?

jmoore
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Here's what I know.

1. It seems to be happening in the same spot of the pedal stroke, like when the drive side crank is at about 11 o'clock. It sounds like low right side, but it could be anywhere.
2. It stops when I stop pedaling.
3. The front wheel comes on and off a lot, so the skewer is cranked down essentially every time I ride. I don't think that's it but i'll check again.
4. It's an Italian BB on an MX Leader, so I'm thinking it's bb cups since they have a tendency to work themselves out.
5. I need to check the seatpost bolt and pedals.
6. I'll check all the other stuff mentioned here.

Keep the thoughts coming.