PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what the "smallest" 23c clincher is?

smead
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I just took my first test ride yesterday on vintage KHS ZH2B build, was all bliss, except for the rear tire rub on the FD braze on mount under power. When I mounted the wheel shod w/ older PR3 (might have stretched out a bit), I noticed it only had about 1-2mm clearance. And sure enough, it rubs under power.

I know tires of a given size fluctuate a lot in size, so am hoping someone who pays close attention to this and perhaps has measured a few can chime in. I don't want to go to 20s or 22s .., but want to find the smallest 23 which I think will fit OK. I don't have much to try in the garage other than PR3s. I recall conti 4000s appearing to have a little less profile/height than the PR3s?

Input appreciated .., thanks, Steve

dave thompson
05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Correct, Continental tires as a whole run slightly smaller than their stated size.

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
23C??? thats a standard... the guys wont make a 23C like if it was a 19 mm wide clincher.

You cant move the wheel back a tiny bit or something? No idea whats the bike you are talking about but pretty much you can move them back in virtually any bike.

Between 21 and 23 are not that much of a difference, i would go with 21s, never seen the issue but for some it is. Specially for the tourers, thing i'm not.

smead
05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
23C??? thats a standard... the guys wont make a 23C like if it was a 19 mm wide clincher.

You cant move the wheel back a tiny bit or something? No idea whats the bike you are talking about but pretty much you can move them back in virtually any bike.

Between 21 and 23 are not that much of a difference, i would go with 21s, never seen the issue but for some it is. Specially for the tourers, thing i'm not.

Errr, how do you move a wheel back in a vertical dropout? :confused:

21s don't give me much selection .. and I want to go as big as possible, surely there are some smaller 23s out there?

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Thats what i was thinking... just found the bike... saw your problem... Try the 23C Schwalbe maybe?? Is a nice bike but kind'a mess up the design because the FD is basically off the seat tube... here is a picture. The other option is the Rear wheel that is flexing too much??

http://bikes.aberrance.com/aeroturbo/20101128AeroFixie/images/20101128AeroFixie-046.jpg

smead
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Yep that's it, swoopy seat tube and all. The rear wheel is not the stiffest, but it's what it is on that bike.

Before ordering something like conti 4000s, was hoping someone out there might have done a little measuring project on various 23c's and could give me a bit more confidence as to what to try.

BTW ultraman6970 if you have any experience with the goofy FD on the ZH2B bent seat tube, I'd love to hear how you routed the FD cable from the BB guide up to the clamp? You can't go the normal route - hits the tire. There's a hanger guide on the seattube, but I wasn't sure what to fit in there? Would a rigid noodle guide work? What was stock? I ended up just cutting a 3" chunk of cable and bent it in the right shape and there's enough tension such that it stays in place, but isn't ideal. Was wondering what was there stock?

Thanks all ..

Thats what i was thinking... just found the bike... saw your problem... Try the 23C Schwalbe maybe?? Is a nice bike but kind'a mess up the design because the FD is basically off the seat tube... here is a picture. The other option is the Rear wheel that is flexing too much??

http://bikes.aberrance.com/aeroturbo/20101128AeroFixie/images/20101128AeroFixie-046.jpg

christian
05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Vredestein Fortezzas measure small. Contis measure small. Michelins measure big.

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Don't know the bike, just saw it for the 1st time in the pictures, I see what are you saying. Do you have a picture of the BB and the guide you are talking about?? Sure they saw the problem and kind'a patch it somehow with that cable guide you are talking about, you arent using it right now?

smead
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
I suspect the frame came with a special rigid housing noodle guide, but unfortunately this didn't come with my frame. I can probably fabricate something from the noodle guides used on mountain levers, but I think those are guides for brakes, not shifting.

I'll post photos in the custom build forum once I take some - it is quite a looker.

Sounds like Conti 4000s might be my best bet for this setup unless someone knows of a smaller 23 to try ..

Don't know the bike, just saw it for the 1st time in the pictures, I see what are you saying. Do you have a picture of the BB and the guide you are talking about?? Sure they saw the problem and kind'a patch it somehow with that cable guide you are talking about, you arent using it right now?

monkeybanana86
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a bontrager on my rear that runs smaller than my front armadillo (both 23). can't read the model because it's dirty but it's a lower end sub $20 one. Doesn't do well in the rain but otherwise I've been riding it almost 5/7 days a week.

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 02:12 PM
You can use metal tubes you are talking about, I have use them for rd when the bike did not have a cable guide because i was just messing around with a build... they have for brakes and derailleur cables, IMO either way will work, FD dont care that much about tension in the cables and stuff.

blantonator
05-08-2012, 02:52 PM
my Hutchinson Atom is just barely 21mm (sized 23mm)

palincss
05-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I know tires of a given size fluctuate a lot in size, so am hoping someone who pays close attention to this and perhaps has measured a few can chime in. I don't want to go to 20s or 22s .., but want to find the smallest 23 which I think will fit OK.

I imagine the "smallest" would be a 650x23c.

wasfast
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
As noted, Michelin's run slightly fat, Continentals (4000S etc) are medium. Veloflex Black, Corsa, Pave.....(whatever they're called today(!)) are 22 and are true to size. Certainly a light tire but incredible ride.

torquer
05-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Almost anything will be smaller than a PR3, new or stretched. (Although I would be cautious with any Challenge clincher, based on experience with a nominal 27 that was almost 29mm.)
I've got Vittoria EVO CXs that measure a couple mm narrower than my PR3s.
Veloflex Masters are available in 23c, and with their gum sidewall would look good on a vintage build, and they were pretty true to size last time I looked.

smead
05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
No kidding about the challenge clinchers - I've run the robaix 27s on my tandem and they are far bigger than any 28 I've cmoe across, more like a 32!

Almost anything will be smaller than a PR3, new or stretched. (Although I would be cautious with any Challenge clincher, based on experience with a nominal 27 that was almost 29mm.)
I've got Vittoria EVO CXs that measure a couple mm narrower than my PR3s.
Veloflex Masters are available in 23c, and with their gum sidewall would look good on a vintage build, and they were pretty true to size last time I looked.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Hutchinson Atoms are the smallest I've encountered.

bobswire
05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Veloflex are really nice tires, if you can find some in 22mm should work for you. They are considered race but they also offer a good ride.
My guess would be their 23mm are smaller than most judging by the 20 & 22mm I've used in the past, they were the Pave model which I believe is called the Master tire today.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Veloflex-TYRES-ROAD-TRI-TRACK-FOLDING/VELXTYRF

ultratoad
05-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Just go with Veloflex 22's.... They are fantastic tires, feel almost like a tubular and handling is superb....

rustychisel
05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Get Veloflex in 22c and the job's done. Oh, and maybe check your spoke tensions and tweak the wheel a bit.

AgilisMerlin
05-08-2012, 11:12 PM
go for a 700x20 so no paint loss

just a thought