PDA

View Full Version : Need some MTB advice

Mr Cabletwitch
05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I currently ride a Niner MCR9 its nicely speced with a Reba, XT/X0 drivetrain, stans wheels, etc... Love the bike but my problem is I've recently been dealing with back issues and feel that a full suspension might benefit my back. The MCR weighs 25lbs, I'd like to be in the 26-27lb range with full squish. I'm demoing a Niner Jet9 this week and love it but can't afford the price tag. My options are really either the Spearfish, or the Santa Cruz Superlight29 and use my existing parts. I'm leaning toward the superlight, but my real wonder is if I should save my pennies and endure a bit more back pain. Assuming a current budget of 1000 what would you do for a frame. The only other option would be to sell the current bike and try and hunt down a deal on a trek or specialized or something complete, the advantage here would be getting a thru axle front end at least. Here are some pictures for those visual folks.

My Bike
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523821_3349080318105_1001751655_32368860_132765387 6_n.jpg

What I'm demoing and love
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/mountain/1312296627402-4um2kd9pxblq-399-75.jpg

What I can afford
http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/superlight29_blacksm.jpg

MattTuck
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't know anything about your back issues, or what you're doing to treat them, but I'd be more inclined to work with a physical therapist and see if you can treat the underlying issue than to see you spend money on a new bike and still have the problem 3 or 6 months down the road.

That said, are there options for smoother trails that might create less impact with your existing bike?

I'm in the camp of don't spend money unless you really need to, or are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it... if you really need to do this for your back, I say go for it, but if there are other things you can try first, I'd try them.

Mr Cabletwitch
05-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Don't know anything about your back issues, or what you're doing to treat them, but I'd be more inclined to work with a physical therapist and see if you can treat the underlying issue than to see you spend money on a new bike and still have the problem 3 or 6 months down the road.

That said, are there options for smoother trails that might create less impact with your existing bike?

I'm in the camp of don't spend money unless you really need to, or are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it... if you really need to do this for your back, I say go for it, but if there are other things you can try first, I'd try them.

I've recently tried a chiropractor and its relieved most of my issues except when I mountain bike. I can road bike fine, but that jarring is killing my back. My wife keeps telling me I need to strengthen my core (she is right, but thats work). I have an old skiing injury from trying to do a half arse back flip, that causes pain and soreness in the middle of my back. I can't just take it easy either I'm 31 years old and trying to ride with teenagers, my only saving grace is while they are airing it out along the trails I can catch up a bit. I guess my main questions is whether or not all those multi pivots are really worth it in a modern bike with a lockable shock.

MattTuck
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Ok, I feel your pain, as I sometimes ride my mountain bike over some very rough terrain. Sounds like you're doing what you can, so if you're going to ride, no sense riding in pain.

I've tried the specialized stump jumper full suspension model around the parking lot at the LBS, over curbs and what not, it has a very strange sensation in steering, when you get to a certain point in the turn it really "dives" into the turn aggressively, which I wasn't a fan of. It is noticeably different from the handling of my old hard tail stump jumper.

I don't know that you're going to get what you want from trek or specialized in your budget, atleast not looking at new. Maybe you could find something used or year old model.

crownjewelwl
05-08-2012, 01:10 PM
trying a thudbuster to see if it helps?

might take enough of the edge off to keep you on your current rig

harryschwartzma
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Go full sus. It makes a huge difference and you don't have to curtail your riding.For $1000, you can get a nice used frame. They're all pretty good now.

dogdriver
05-08-2012, 01:24 PM
trying a thudbuster to see if it helps?

+1 Thudbuster as an interim help.

+1 Core strength work

+1 consulting a PT (they can be magicians)

Try hanging from a chin-up bar for a couple minutes each day-- a cheap, easy, no side-effects way to potentially correct alignment issues.

rhump
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I recent picked up a FS 29er and I'm extremely happy (switched from a HT 29er). I went with a 2012 Giant Anthem X1. There have been several new 2011 FS Anthem frames on Ebay for just a little over your budget. You could transfer your components and be all set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-GIANT-Anthem-X-4-0-MTB-Frame-Size-18-M-Smoke-Blue-Black-/140708808688?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item20c2e607f0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-GIANT-Anthem-X-4-0-MTB-Frame-Size-20-L-Smoke-Blue-Black-/110851474621?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item19cf4344bd

Good luck,

Rob

tannhauser
05-08-2012, 01:34 PM
You can alleviate some of the pain with a full susser, but your real problem is your back.

1) Lose weight - I don't know how big you are but nearly everyone feels better when they do, particularly those with back issues.

2) Core - do it.

3) Ride.

Done.

xjoex
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
You can get crazy deals on 26" FS bikes these days if you looked used.

-Joe

chuckred
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
I really can't think of alot of sound reasons not to ride full suspension if you're riding anywhere that's rough enough to jar your back. The technology today is so good that unless you're a few seconds from the podium on a smooth course, you're not giving up anything (although I know many will argue otherwise).

And, yes, I started with steel rigid mountain bikes back "in the day", so I do remember how much fun they can be!

Mr Cabletwitch
05-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I really can't think of alot of sound reasons not to ride full suspension if you're riding anywhere that's rough enough to jar your back. The technology today is so good that unless you're a few seconds from the podium on a smooth course, you're not giving up anything (although I know many will argue otherwise).

And, yes, I started with steel rigid mountain bikes back "in the day", so I do remember how much fun they can be!

Thats the way I'm leaning but I need to decide if its worth it to wait and get a bike like the Jet9, or just jump right in and get a Superlight29(and I can't try one of these).

JAGI410
05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd put some serious thought into the Salsa Spearfish frame as well. Designed to be fast and comfortable, all day long.

lovethesport
05-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I used to race back in the 90's on a Serotta Max II hardtail and virtually had to quit in 2003 due to my back hurting so badly even though I could still ride my Legend.I happened to go to a Trek Demo day and tested a Fisher 29er and a Trek Fuel EX....man what a difference technology makes. There is no substitute for working on your core to strengthen your back... but a full suspension is the way to go if you have any doubts.

Mr Cabletwitch
05-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I'd put some serious thought into the Salsa Spearfish frame as well. Designed to be fast and comfortable, all day long.

The only reason I'm leaning away from the spearfish is that I had a Dos Niner for a season and it handled like a truck, I just didn't like its geometry at all and I was afraid the spearfish might be similar.

blantonator
05-08-2012, 02:58 PM
just save up for find a lightly used jet 9

JAGI410
05-08-2012, 03:20 PM
The only reason I'm leaning away from the spearfish is that I had a Dos Niner for a season and it handled like a truck, I just didn't like its geometry at all and I was afraid the spearfish might be similar.

I dont find it truck like at all, nor is it twitchy. I've never ridden a Dos9, but I did have a Salsa Big Mama, which was the psuedo-predecessor to the Spearfish. Comparing those two, the spearfish is just as comfortable, but much more nimble. It obeys every input, very little correction needed (if only my wife/kids were the same!). I'd try to demo a complete version if you could, you might be surprised.

Mr Cabletwitch
05-08-2012, 03:37 PM
I dont find it truck like at all, nor is it twitchy. I've never ridden a Dos9, but I did have a Salsa Big Mama, which was the psuedo-predecessor to the Spearfish. Comparing those two, the spearfish is just as comfortable, but much more nimble. It obeys every input, very little correction needed (if only my wife/kids were the same!). I'd try to demo a complete version if you could, you might be surprised.

I'd love to demo one, but I had a hard enough time finding a Jet9 and had to pay 50 bucks just to demo it... For as much money as these bike companies expect us to pay for a bike it sure would be nice if they could make it easier to demo one for an extended time. I was a little blown away when they wanted me to pay for the demo as I was originally looking to demo a 2011 Rumblefish since the price was right, but after they told me it was going to cost 50 bucks for each bike I demo I figured I might as well not go for the long shot. Of course they take it off a new bike but I could have a couple hundred tied up in demos if I tried everything, and most of what I wanna try I can't get :bike:

If anybody is in the Lancaster area of PA with a med Spearfish I'd love to try it...

Mr Cabletwitch
05-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Took the JET9 out on a shakedown run at my normal stomping grounds. This place is a bit more technical than most I go to but not the roughest. I found myself looking for more rear travel. I'm not sure 80mm is enough so this might eliminate the JET and the spearfish. It was a rocket up the hills though just as fast as my MCR since I could sit down over a few more bumps. I'll be taking it to another local favorite tomorrow that is a lot of climbing so we will see what I think of it there.

JAGI410
05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Well then maybe look at the Salsa Horsethief, with 120mm rear travel, but you'll probably need to change your rear hub.