PDA

View Full Version : Giro Stage 4 with Spoilers

MattTuck
05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Phinney was at the hospital, as of two hours ago, based on his twitter. x-rays, with no sign of fracture, but he said it is very painful to put any weight on his right foot. Hope he's feeling good enough to start tomorrow.

4Rings6Stars
05-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Phinney was at the hospital, as of two hours ago, based on his twitter. x-rays, with no sign of fracture, but he said it is very painful to put any weight on his right foot. Hope he's feeling good enough to start tomorrow.

Luckily for him, tomorrow is a rest day as they fly to Italy for a TT stage.

MattTuck
05-07-2012, 07:58 PM
LOL. Right you are.

My bad. Good thing I didn't get amped up to watch the stage ;)

Elefantino
05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
I bet he's done. Too bad.

Ferrari should be kicked out. What a maroon. You don't turn right in the last 100m of a sprint. Idiot.

vqdriver
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
yeah, that was a strange choice of line.
sweet bunnyhop 00:14 to avoid cav tho.

here's a clip http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/07/team-sky-mark-cavendish-giro-ditalia

BumbleBeeDave
05-08-2012, 06:00 AM
yeah, that was a strange choice of line.
sweet bunnyhop 00:14 to avoid cav tho.

here's a clip http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/07/team-sky-mark-cavendish-giro-ditalia

. . . What an effing MORON. Never seen a finish where somebody in the final front runner pulled a stunt like that. He went halfway across the road.

Ferrari and/or his team manager might consider pulling him out of the race for his own safety. There's gonna be an awful lot of opportunities in the rest of the race out of the view of commisaires for him to have some, uh, "bad luck". Of course, after seeing that video, the commissaires might just look the other way--or run him off the road themselves.

BBD

jpw
05-08-2012, 06:25 AM
I bet he's done. Too bad.

Ferrari should be kicked out. What a maroon. You don't turn right in the last 100m of a sprint. Idiot.

Yup,...not even a hand signal. So urban.

jpw
05-08-2012, 06:27 AM
. . . What an effing MORON. Never seen a finish where somebody in the final front runner pulled a stunt like that. He went halfway across the road.

Ferrari and/or his team manager might consider pulling him out of the race for his own safety. There's gonna be an awful lot of opportunities in the rest of the race out of the view of commisaires for him to have some, uh, "bad luck". Of course, after seeing that video, the commissaires might just look the other way--or run him off the road themselves.

BBD

Boonen made a big move left in Madrid 2005 WRRC, but he did look first. Mr. Ferrari needs mirrors grafting on.

Bruce K
05-08-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm SO confused!

Isn't Stage 4 the TTT tomorrow?

Just saying' .......

BK

PS - it would really stink if Taylor has to withdraw as BMC should be one of the best TTT teams and the pink should be pretty safe if he can pedal

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Agree, they have to kick the guy out, even he had room at the other side to pass. He will be lucky if no water bottles fall into his front wheel while descending or something.

Agree with cav.... he just got the World Champion and the pick jersey down... not honest at all. The other thing is, what TP (Correction) was doing so close to the front? the second stage was like that also. They were trying to get some extra secs or something? Usually the top dog in the classification never goes to the sprints in stages like that, bad idea because always something can happen. Anybody remember cippolini when he crashed against the barriers back in 94?? I thought he had died or something, baffi won the stage.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Luckily for him, tomorrow is a rest day as they fly to Italy for a TT stage.

Ferrari is gonna be stuffed in the 'lav' for the trip. He should be sent home...if not by the Giro, by his team.

http://movieclips.com/aULP-breaking-away-movie-sabotage-italian-style

Nooch
05-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Agree, they have to kick the guy out, even he had room at the other side to pass. He will be lucky if no water bottles fall into his front wheel while descending or something.

Agree with cav.... he just got the World Champion and the pick jersey down... not honest at all. The other thing is, what TF was doing so close to the front? the second stage was like that also. They were trying to get some extra secs or something? Usually the top dog in the classification never goes to the sprints in stages like that, bad idea because always something can happen. Anybody remember cippolini when he crashed against the barriers back in 94?? I thought he had died or something, baffi won the stage.

Just to clarify (as it took me a second) I think you mean TP (Taylor Phinney) and not TF (Tyler Farrar, who took third...), right?

BillG
05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Ferrari is gonna be stuffed in the 'lav' for the trip. He should be sent home...if not by the Giro, by his team.

They might send him home. if the plane passes over his home town ...

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Sorry man I will correct that... I was talking about phinney

Just to clarify (as it took me a second) I think you mean TP (Taylor Phinney) and not TF (Tyler Farrar, who took third...), right?

MattTuck
05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Too bad they don't carry frame pumps anymore...

I can only imagine a rider getting passed up a frame pump from their team car... would be a hilarious site.

They should just send him home so it becomes a non-issue.

veloduffer
05-08-2012, 09:38 AM

Lest you forget the Tashkent Terror (Djamolidine Abdoujaparov)? He used to jump around quite a bit to get onto wheels, since he didn't have a leadout train like the Saeco Train of Cippo.

chad_k
05-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I agree that was a bad move by Ferrari, but I can see what he was trying to do. He saw a window to his right for a clean line to the finish.

The only problem was that Cav was already accelerating to the same spot. If that's anyone but Cav, Ferrari gets there first without affecting anyone.

gone
05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
The "punishment" meted out by the race officials thus far is a joke. Relegating a sprinter and a small fine is just laughable.

As to being thrown out of the race, I'd be very surprised. (Race = Giro, last name ends in "i", = unlikely to get tossed). What happens in the peloton is a different matter.

MattTuck
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
The "punishment" meted out by the race officials thus far is a joke. Relegating a sprinter and a small fine is just laughable.

As to being thrown out of the race, I'd be very surprised. (Race = Giro, last name ends in "i", = unlikely to get tossed). What happens in the peloton is a different matter.

If Scarponi, Basso or Nibali had been in pink, and the sprinter were not Italian, he'd be gone.

gone
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
If Scarponi, Basso or Nibali had been in pink, and the sprinter were not Italian, he'd be gone.

Yep.

jpw
05-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Yep.

Italian rider, Italian team, Italian race, owned by an Italian media corp selling stuff to... Italians, and everyone else watching on syndicated broadcasts elsewhere. Rules bend to commercial interests.

retrofit
05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Ferrari to make apology to Cavendish, Phinney and other fallen riders (http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11815/Ferrari-to-make-apology-to-Cavendish-Phinney-and-other-fallen-riders.aspx) -- Italian sprinter accepts culpability after seeing TV images

Speaking to VeloNation yesterday, former world number one Sean Kelly said that it was clear on who was at fault and also what he needed to do.

“He definitely needs to put up his hand and say ‘look, sorry guys, I did make quite a bit movement from left to right.’ You have to man enough to be able to do that..."

Kelly pointed out that many sprinters have made mistakes in the heat of the moment, Cavendish included, and that it was important for people to be able to move on.

tsarpepe
05-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Usually the top dog in the classification never goes to the sprints in stages like that, bad idea because always something can happen.

TP is not a top dog in the Giro. He may be wearing the MR, but everyone knows that this is only temporary. I do agree, however, that he has no business mixing it up with the sprinters.

MattTuck
05-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Phinney's foot today... does not look good for the young American.

bummer. He's quite the prolific twitter user. Someone said that the pink jersey this year has tweets on it, and that it was fitting he would wear it, given his tweeting. I haven't seen any tweets though in any of the pics of the jersey.

http://p.twimg.com/AscUzQ-CEAE2g7g.jpg

Bruce K
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Bruises snd all, Taylor has launched with the team for the Stage 4 TTT

Fingers are crossed for a good result

The pink and black BMC Time Machine is an AMAZING looking rig

BK

Viper
05-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Tanto di cappello.
Chapeau.
Go Yankee Cowboy.

Impressive to ride with a foot/ankle that swollen and bruised. Even if that ankle was not sprained (I did not see the crash) impact bruised it very badly and I would suspect his ankle is sprained. He'll have a tough time at it, especially when the Giro hits the mountains this weekend. I hope someone lathers that ankle with Arnica Montana Gel which made the swelling and bruised blood on my badly injured hip, disappear.

Not all pro cyclists are high maintenance, metro, plastic-knife owning wimps. This kid can ride.

Tanto di cappello. Someone Tweet Phinney about Arnica Montana Gel.

:beer:

Nooch
05-09-2012, 10:30 AM
huge day for garmin today!

I think something like 8 of the top 10 are garmin riders after the TTT. sure this will change over the weekend, but mighty impressive.

TP only dropping down to fifth even ending up in the weeds, with his ankle as it is, he's real alright. the question is, with him not in pink, if he drops to prevent further injury..

MattTuck
05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Shame he lost the pink jersey. He was very well spoken and humble in the post race interview I heard.

He almost crashed in a big way on the TTT, and had a big tuft of grass hanging off his shoe and his RD.

He's young, it's a learning experience, he'll be back.

I'm tapping him to win Paris Roubaix in 2014.

jr59
05-09-2012, 10:50 AM
It's sad that something like this happened, but that is racing.

One thing for sure, the future looks bright

Viper
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
It's sad that something like this happened, but that is racing.

One thing for sure, the future looks bright

At 6' and ~180lbs, I dunno if he's a GC cat, but he will be fun to follow.

Tejay van Garderen (6'1", 150lbs) can TT (2nd a Tour of Switzerland) and he's got ups, the dude can climb.

American cycling will be fun to watch the next 5-10 years as several of these kids flourish.

tannhauser
05-09-2012, 11:36 AM

Tejay van Garderen (6'1", 150lbs) can TT (2nd a Tour of Switzerland) and he's got ups, the dude can climb.

American cycling will be fun to watch the next 5-10 years as several of these kids flourish.

Taylor is six four or five!

jlwdm
05-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Taylor is six four or five!

Most reports say 6' 4", and he says he is not a GC rider.

Jeff

Buzz
05-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Speaking of American cyclists: No one mentions him- Peter Stetina. Son of 1970s racing legend Dale Stetina. Finished 22nd last year in the Giro - his inaugural grand tour (the highest rookie start since Hampsten I am told) and top 15 at the Giro D'Lombardia. At 138 pounds and a climbing whiz he may well come out as the top American on GC at the race's conclusion. Plus, the dude likes to attack and initiate which is fun to watch.

Viper
05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Speaking of American cyclists: No one mentions him- Peter Stetina. Son of 1970s racing legend Dale Stetina. Finished 22nd last year in the Giro - his inaugural grand tour (the highest rookie start since Hampsten I am told) and top 15 at the Giro D'Lombardia. At 138 pounds and a climbing whiz he may well come out as the top American on GC at the race's conclusion. Plus, the dude likes to attack and initiate which is fun to watch.

+1

Let's see what the kid can do, let the kids play!

It's all about le mountains/la mountains for me. There is the yellow and pink jersey. I have tremendous respect for every single cyclist, but if you can climb, you've got my attention. My advice to Phinney is to look at Bradley Wiggins. At 6'3", ~150lbs, he dedicated himself from the track and its physical build, to someone who might podium at the TdF.

Cycling seems to have a bright future with the next generation. We just need these guys to ride, race and live clean(ly). Say no to drugs and say yes to hugs...on the podium from Podium Girls.

fiamme red
05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
It's all about le mountains/la mountains for me. There is the yellow and pink jersey. I have tremendous respect for every single cyclist, but if you can climb, you've got my attention. My advice to Phinney is to look at Bradley Wiggins. At 6'3", ~150lbs, he dedicated himself from the track and its physical build, to someone who might podium at the TdF.Yeah, look at Wiggins. The man is a walking skeleton. I don't think it's healthy to be like that.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4bh9iE0E6mbv2vt38XiIHRfIo1_400.jpg

Viper
05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah, look at Wiggins. The man is a walking skeleton. I don't think it's healthy to be like that.

+11 million.

Phinney should not go that far into the absurd of starvation and over training. It's a disease, the race-thing and for many, the cycling-thing. Diseases grow and grow until they win or the person sees the light. I hope Wiggo gets a grip there. Ugly.

Would like to ask Wiggins what the significance of the tattoo on his shoulder is:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/-UXXWihtSQe/Tour+de+France+Previews/B8L-IJHHWxC/Bradley+Wiggins

Cycling and racing can be a disease. A bad one.

ultraman6970
05-09-2012, 05:41 PM
The problem with TP is his body mass... he is like cancellara, he wont get as thin as wiggo ever unless he get sick or something. Wiggo has been thin all his life and lose a few pounds is easy for him, TP has not... probably wont get as thinner as he is today or when he was junior.

There are two types of time trialists or persuit guys in the track... the super thin ones like wiggo and the power ones like TP.

Saw him today in the TTT and he locked massive compared with the other guys, and the other ones are just from normal to big guys. Even ballan looked small compared to TP, and ballan is like 6.2 but with 160 pounds that is pretty thin.

wikipedia has TP as 6'55... 1 meter 97 cms... the kid is hudge and later will get even bigger IMO... the next cancellara for sure.

+1

Let's see what the kid can do, let the kids play!

It's all about le mountains/la mountains for me. There is the yellow and pink jersey. I have tremendous respect for every single cyclist, but if you can climb, you've got my attention. My advice to Phinney is to look at Bradley Wiggins. At 6'3", ~150lbs, he dedicated himself from the track and its physical build, to someone who might podium at the TdF.

Cycling seems to have a bright future with the next generation. We just need these guys to ride, race and live clean(ly). Say no to drugs and say yes to hugs...on the podium from Podium Girls.

tannhauser
05-09-2012, 05:42 PM

He got hit by a car a few days ago. Doing ok now I guess.