PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a bicycle rim??

Sandy
09-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I clean my bike regularly, keep good tires on it, take in to be fixed if it has a mechanical problem, oil the drivetrain, and give it a comfortable place to sleep at night (presently in the living room). But I pay almost no attention to cleaning the rims (braking surface). What is the best way of cleaning the rims? What cleaner do you use.

Thanks,

Spotless Sandy

scottcw
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I use a Brillo pad and water, then dry with paper towels. I do this at least every other ride. Can't have too clean of a braking surface.

pjm
09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Occasionally, I just rub down the braking surfaces with a Scotchbrite pad. Its easier to do with the tires removed so you can do both sides at once. Check the pads, too, and make sure there is not any crap imbedded in them.

theprep
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I use Simple Green and a paper towel.

jdoiv
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
and rubbing alcohol...

gets the oily residue off and my wheels are sterile...

saab2000
09-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Don't forget to clean the brake pads. And the grooves on the pads.

OilyFish
09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Of course you do the same with your motorized vehicle after every other outing... :)

LegendRider
09-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Use a medium grit Sandflex hand block (same thing as the more expensive Mavic eraser).

zap
09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Hit the brakes.

Hard.

As Saab said, clean the pads every once in a while.

Sandy, I was told your Serotta sleeps with the Bimmer. They break up?

Sandy
09-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Hit the brakes.

Hard.

As Saab said, clean the pads every once in a while.

Sandy, I was told your Serotta sleeps with the Bimmer. They break up?

1. I hit the brakes hard, and flew over the handlebar.

2. Kevan and I broke up.

3. My wife makes me sleep in the garage. No Bimmer anymore. She sold it to buy herself some jewelry. :crap:

Sandy

Fixed
09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Bro. I use my toothbrush brush and floss twice a day . Cheers :beer: : :D

CalfeeFly
09-07-2005, 06:00 PM
I clean mine after every ride and it takes but a minute. I use window cleaner and a paper towel. I read somewhere that as a suggestion. The Simple Green would do the same trick. Since I clean it regularly using a Scotchbrite isn't necessary for me. I know others who do use that since they do it less often. You will be surprised at the grunge on them. As others have said clean the pads.

Kevin
09-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I use Simple Green and a paper towel.

Me too.

Kevin

RichMc
09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Light grade sandpaper & small, small sanding block. By the time I get there it's past the time where Simple Green or alcohol work on the black brake pad gunk residue.

Serpico
09-08-2005, 12:36 AM

I use my toothbrush brush...

fixed bro,

is that the brush you use to clean the toothbrush :p

:)

Too Tall
09-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Maaaan, why do I always have the dissenting opionion???? Really I'm not a contrarian by nature.

Most of y'all are putting way too much product on your rubber and bikes in general. Unless you are riding in wet or very dirty conditions leave it alone! A basic wipe down with a few drips of Dawn liquid soap in a couple gallons of hot water and a rag is about all the wheels will ever need. Ocassional inspection of the pads for foreign detritus and dead babies is SOP...use a dental pick or knife point to flick that junk out.

Fixed
09-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Maaaan, why do I always have the dissenting opionion???? Really I'm not a contrarian by nature.

Most of y'all are putting way too much product on your rubber and bikes in general. Unless you are riding in wet or very dirty conditions leave it alone! A basic wipe down with a few drips of Dawn liquid soap in a couple gallons of hot water and a rag is about all the wheels will ever need. Ocassional inspection of the pads for foreign detritus and dead babies is SOP...use a dental pick or knife point to flick that junk out.
What T.T. said bro, cheers :beer:

weisan
09-08-2005, 03:04 PM
S-A-N-D-Y-P-A-L, I would send you the complete kit if you would clear up all the junk in the PM box, it's full...
http://www.meguiars.com/specials/NXTS05_image.jpg

champlemon
09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Clean my wheels? Really? You're all kiddin' right? I just make sure there's nothing sharp on the saddle and pedal off... :confused:

toaster
09-08-2005, 03:39 PM
When using Simple Green keep exposure time to aluminum surfaces at a minimum. While Simple Green can be safely used on aluminum it can cause some corrosion if not completely wiped off. In other words, don't use so much that it gets in the area between the tire bead and the rim where the residue will stay.

Ahneida Ride
09-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Use a medium grit Sandflex hand block (same thing as the more expensive Mavic eraser).

Sandy .....

Absolutely ...... Take it from me .. This really works !!!!
I paid 30 frn (Federal Reserve Notes) for the Mavic eraser. Get the
Sandflex block instead and save some frn. These erasers work great !!!!
Immaculate rims with only a bit of elbo grease. Just be careful after the
cleaning. Your brakes may be a bit grippy.

There was a discussion about on ths subject a while ago. ;)

Link is Here -> Mavic Eraser (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7824&highlight=mavic+eraser)

Kevan
09-09-2005, 05:53 AM
I'm with TT on this one.

During the every-other-week cleaning, I might pause long enough to clean some grime from the rim and pads. Might.

I will tell you that my Velocity rims, with their black or dark dark brown coating, has sort of oxidized over time and could be compared to a model not wearing makeup. Of all things, I use Armor All wipes on the paint-coated surface of the rim to bring back the sparkle, and avoid wiping the braking surface. Okay...okay... many of you shudder at the thought of applying slippery stuff on the rims and I'm here to tell you I have experienced zero problems doing this.

weisan
09-09-2005, 06:12 AM
... many of you shudder at the thought of appling slippery stuff on the rims...

S-A-N-D-Y-P-A-L, did you sign Kevan up as heir to the SANFORD estate after your departure?

tch
09-09-2005, 08:26 AM
During the every-other-week cleaning....

EVERY OTHER WEEK????? Man, I'm not letting my bike read this! Pretty soon it'll want some greasing and chain lube too.

Sandy
09-09-2005, 09:21 AM
S-A-N-D-Y-P-A-L, did you sign Kevan up as heir to the SANFORD estate after your departure?

Nope! I have been feeding Kevan some of Mirman's Monstrous Murdering Magnificent Mushrooms. He ain't going to survive me!!!! :banana: :banana:

Mellow Mushroom Mirman