PDA

View Full Version : mechanics of the forums: Chris King help

thegunner
05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a set of Ck classics to Hed Belgiums. Love em. 32 2x all around.

The rear rim however, seems to have play from the hub. If I grab the rim and push from side to side, it seems to move 3-5mm in each direction. The skewers are tight, so I think it's just the bearing pre-load from the end caps... how do I fix this?

monkeybanana86
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
have you tried tightening this ring pictured here (http://chrisking.com/tech/tech_hubs)?

That's what I do on my campy hub which might work like yours.

edit: otherwise (there seem to be two types of CK axles out there) look for the cone that's shown in the diagram here (http://chrisking.com/files/upload/instructions/ClassicManual.pdf) and that's what you want to tighten

echelon_john
05-07-2012, 05:43 PM
double-check spoke tension too...

guyintense
05-07-2012, 06:17 PM
The classic hubs use two 5mm allen wrenches to adjust side play, it's explained in their manual. If you don't have one you can use this:
http://chrisking.com/files/upload/instructions/ClassicManual.pdf

thegunner
05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
The classic hubs use two 5mm allen wrenches to adjust side play, it's explained in their manual. If you don't have one you can use this:
http://chrisking.com/files/upload/instructions/ClassicManual.pdf

thanks all, looks like... loosen, tighten that cap thinger, and retighten. will get this sorted tomorrow. :beer:

05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
There's another potential problem and you might have it. Once you get the bearings readjusted, you may still have play. This can come because of a mismatch between axle/drivehub and the hub. They have to be hand-micrometered and matched to within a couple thousandths. Also, and this is where I see the big problem, a rim like the Hed can cause the hub shell to stretch slightly so it no longer has a zero-clearance fit to the bearing races. Once that happens, the shell will rock on the race regardless of how you adjust the axle. Usually the bearing set will just fall out when you remove the axle, a good indication this is happening (and assuming the rim is still mounted and tensioned). So if the steps above don't fix it, check this as well. If it's the problem, the wheel has to go to King for replacement of the bearings with ones that fit tighter -- I had them do that no charge for me, but don't know if it's their standard policy or not.

Good luck.

monkeybanana86
05-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Jesus that's some tight tolerance

Ahneida Ride
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Jesus that's some tight tolerance

As a Christian I would like to request that you refrain from using
the name of my Savior in such a fashion.

I wonder what the response would be if the name of any other
religious founder would be used in such a fashion.

thank you.

buldogge
05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
You forgot the smilie...

(I hope)

-Mark in St. Louis

thank you.

christian
05-08-2012, 09:47 AM
L. Ron Hubbard that's some tight tolerance! (Just checking.)

guyintense
05-08-2012, 09:51 AM
There's another potential problem and you might have it. Once you get the bearings readjusted, you may still have play. This can come because of a mismatch between axle/drivehub and the hub. They have to be hand-micrometered and matched to within a couple thousandths. Also, and this is where I see the big problem, a rim like the Hed can cause the hub shell to stretch slightly so it no longer has a zero-clearance fit to the bearing races. Once that happens, the shell will rock on the race regardless of how you adjust the axle. Usually the bearing set will just fall out when you remove the axle, a good indication this is happening (and assuming the rim is still mounted and tensioned). So if the steps above don't fix it, check this as well. If it's the problem, the wheel has to go to King for replacement of the bearings with ones that fit tighter -- I had them do that no charge for me, but don't know if it's their standard policy or not.

Good luck.

A very good point and hopefully that's not the issue but if it is and you do call King the first question they will ask you is, did you check the drive side spoke tension.

monkeybanana86
05-08-2012, 11:05 AM

thank you.

I'm sorry if you were hurt by that. I don't mean to offend any religion (Scientology don't count!).

ergott
05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
a rim like the Hed can cause the hub shell to stretch slightly so it no longer has a zero-clearance fit to the bearing races.
Good luck.

Can you please clarify? Are you talking about rims that can take a higher tension or something?

Mark McM
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Can you please clarify? Are you talking about rims that can take a higher tension or something?

It's generally not the rim, but the lacing pattern. Radial lacing (which pulls directly outward on the flange) can expand the flange and can affect the fit of a bearing inside the flange. Tangential lacing has little or no affect on bearing fit. We're only talking an expansion of a thousandths of an inch or two, but it can affect bearing fit.

mister
05-08-2012, 01:17 PM

thank you.

holy...is your post count accurate???

thegunner
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
It's generally not the rim, but the lacing pattern. Radial lacing (which pulls directly outward on the flange) can expand the flange and can affect the fit of a bearing inside the flange. Tangential lacing has little or no affect on bearing fit. We're only talking an expansion of a thousandths of an inch or two, but it can affect bearing fit.

it's 2x all around... but i sincerely hope this is not the problem. i think i'm going to bring it to a local shop and have them take a look.