PDA

View Full Version : Fenders?

jpw
05-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm looking for fender brand/ model recommendations to fit my Legend cross frame with a Wound Up cross fork.

I'm running 700c x 28s (with room for 35s tire without fenders). I'd like something well made that is easy to fit and will not fall apart at the first sign of gravel roads and bumpy going.

My dropout ears have the hidden threaded attachment points, and there are chain stay and seat stay bridge points too. The fork has attachment points just above the dropouts, and a crown hole.

Nothing too fancy, just a real solution for a real bike :-)

christian
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Sks.

cp43
05-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Sks.

Agreed.

You could go planet bike as well, but I prefer SKS.

Chris

FlashUNC
05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Thirded for SKS.

Bob Loblaw
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I like Planet Bike. My SKS fenders are fine but the planet bike ones offered more coverage. I will need to add a mudflap extension to the front SKS fender to keep the spray off my feet, and although the rear fender protects me and the bike, it does little for riders behind me.

BL

christian
05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Planet bikes crack when old or when it gets cold out. SKS don't. Oh, and get the 45mm SKS. The narrow ones have a fold that makes them not fit all brake calipers well.

JAGI410
05-07-2012, 04:00 PM
I've never had a problem with my PB fenders cracking/distorting and I've ridden in obscenely cold/hot temps. The SKS ones are very nice as well, but as mentioned above the mudflaps need extension. This is where PB is nice, since you can buy the cascadia flaps from there website for $5 shipped. They for nicely on the SKS fenders.

krhea
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
SKS or Planet Bike Cascadias.

Puget Pounder
05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I like the VO fenders for style, but I don't imagine they would do very well under abuse.

I'd go with SKS.

charliedid
05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
SKS p35

Planet Bike are all plastic, SKS have an aluminum core

mtb_frk
05-07-2012, 06:27 PM
SKS. This past winter was my second season with them and they are holding up great. I put a mudflap on the front this year and that definitely helped.

tannhauser
05-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Cruds?

JAGI410
05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
SKS p35

Planet Bike are all plastic, SKS have an aluminum core

Planet Bike Cascadia fenders have an aluminum core as well, the Hardcore series is "unbreakable" polycarbonate.

charliedid
05-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Planet Bike Cascadia fenders have an aluminum core as well, the Hardcore series is "unbreakable" polycarbonate.

I stand corrected and even questioned my response...right you are.

Thanks

edit: Are you sure about that? I swear I have gone back and forth 20 times on this. The Road Cascadia's have an aluminum core? I can't find documentation on that one.

Frankwurst
05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I have both but prefer the Planet Bike Cascadias simply for the coverage. I ride in Northern Wisconsin. Cold enough? :beer:

EricEstlund
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Oops- double post

EricEstlund
05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I can't find documentation on that one.

The silver ones do:
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7058.html

"Polished Aluminum bonded to Superflex™ unbreakable all-weather polycarbonate"

The SKS are a little flatter on top, the PB a little rounder (in the road and hybrid sizes). You may opt for one over the other based on the shape of your brake arch or fork crown, but both are excellent. I've used, sold, and installed many of both.

If you want metal, the Honjo, Berthoud and Tanaka fenders are all so nice. The Honjo comes in a smaller size then the other two. The Berthoud gets my nod for more streamlined hardware and dent resistant stainless.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Cruds?

Ttried first gen cruds and they were...cruddy. Not very tight, rattled and very close to the tires so every bit of anything scrapped on the fender. I know they were for low clearance situations but I wasn't impressed..maybe next gen better but.....

Bob Loblaw
05-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I know a couple of guys who ride the cruds in the winter and like them well enough. As OP says here, they rattle and rub over bumps. I would not use them as a permanent fender.

I have run two sets of Planet Bike polycarbonate fenders on three different bikes for many thousands of miles, temps from the upper 90's down to single digits. They are excellent. They never rattled or cracked, even at the bottom of the rear fender where I drilled a couple of holes to mount a mudflap.

After killing my old single speed I picked up a pair of SKS fenders on the cheap for the replacement bike. They are totally adequate and I am sure they will last a good long time, but as I mentioned before will require an extra length of mudflap to protect feet and chainring from salty/sandy/wet spray, and the rear brake bridge mount rattles a bit.

BL

Ttried first gen cruds and they were...cruddy. Not very tight, rattled and very close to the tires so every bit of anything scrapped on the fender. I know they were for low clearance situations but I wasn't impressed..maybe next gen better but.....

Ken C
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I have had SKS and now have Berthoud. I would give the nod to Berthoud. Since the SS fenders are more ridgid than plastic ones they are much easier to get a good fender line.

They might have taken a little more time to set up the first time, but now I can also take them off and put them back on faster than SKS.

Because metal fenders also have the rolled edge they keep water inside the fender better than plastic onces.

I have not mounted honjos, but I agree with Eric that the Berthoud hardware was easy to use.

tannhauser
05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Oops- double post

Hey nice moderation!

bfd
05-08-2012, 12:13 PM

I'm running crud fenders and another problem I found is that the plastic nuts and bolts can easily unscrew! I had one come loose and my right rear stays fell off and broke! I am now riding with one stay and trying to get my LBS to get another.

I agree that the fender also rattles and its easy to get stuff under it, but still, for a fender that is design to fit in very tight places, especially under the fork, it actually works when wet!

Is there a second gen version coming out? Hmm, that should be interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Now, if only I can get a right rear stay....Good Luck!

charliedid
05-08-2012, 06:58 PM
The silver ones do:
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7058.html

"Polished Aluminum bonded to Superflex™ unbreakable all-weather polycarbonate"

The SKS are a little flatter on top, the PB a little rounder (in the road and hybrid sizes). You may opt for one over the other based on the shape of your brake arch or fork crown, but both are excellent. I've used, sold, and installed many of both.

If you want metal, the Honjo, Berthoud and Tanaka fenders are all so nice. The Honjo comes in a smaller size then the other two. The Berthoud gets my nod for more streamlined hardware and dent resistant stainless.

Thanks Eric...