PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Rims - Living in the past...

maximus
05-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I really wish they still made these...

(Found on e-richie's Flickr)

echelon_john
05-07-2012, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't choose any of them over a modern rim unless it was for a reproduction. No comparison in quality/durability.

Ralph
05-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I use a pair of the Omega Strada Hardox on my daily rider, 32 hole. Box rims out of style now, but these rims never let me down. Stay true also. New rims probably stronger, but haven't had any reason to change these out for what I use them for.

thwart
05-07-2012, 08:48 AM
What a great pic...

Back in the time before wheelsouttaboxes. A wonderful era.

TMB
05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
There are real life examples of 4 of those in my garage.

They make great, indestructible wheels.

spacemen3
05-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Cool. I recently sold a pair of NOS Atek's. The concave braking surface was pretty odd I thought.

Gummee
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
There are real life examples of 4 of those in my garage.

They make great, indestructible wheels.

I've got 4 different Campy rims in my bin of rims

Omega XL clinchers
Omega XL tubulars
Strada tubulars
Crono tubulars

Still riding one Omega XL clincher as a rear wheel. The Cronos are set to be track training wheels as soon as I find a small flange D/A rear hub.

M

oldpotatoe
05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't choose any of them over a modern rim unless it was for a reproduction. No comparison in quality/durability.

Well, not exactly. Mavic OpenPro-noisy wedge, eyelets, MA-3-pulled eyelets out, Stans340-soft, unreliable...some of these rims are easily on par with modern rims, like Ambrosio(Sigma and Record Pave) and some Mavics(Reflex), DT(altho my favorite, wish they made a tubie and 36h).

I would choose many of these over 'modern' rims, IMHO, YMMV, BLAH, BLAH.

oliver1850
05-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Do any modern rims have the eyelets angled in 2 directions?

marinoni62
05-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Gotta love how the Delta Strada XL was designed, with a "wide, low profile cross section" similar to the idea of today's A23.

Also weren't these wider rims designed to work better with the Campy Delta brakes? Those were the rumors that i heard back in the day. I curious as i run Delta brakes and wonder if going with wider rims would be a good thing.

stausty
05-07-2012, 01:37 PM
I've had bad luck with the Omega Strada V-profile rims. Or maybe I have had back luck lacing up my own wheels.

Can't argue that they looked good, though.

Jaq
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Across the hall, a box of rim samples like that just sold on ebay for 250 or thereabouts. Strange what people will spend money on.

lhuerta
05-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Nothing beats the the Delta XL Strada Chromium, the first real "wide" clincher...interesting that the sample is not in the box pictured.
Lou

vqdriver
05-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Still using a Mirox rim on a hardtail. Going strong after 18 years.
Of course it'll probably taco tomorrow but hey......

sharkboyrob
05-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Gotta love how the Delta Strada XL was designed, with a "wide, low profile cross section" similar to the idea of today's A23.

Also weren't these wider rims designed to work better with the Campy Delta brakes? Those were the rumors that i heard back in the day. I curious as i run Delta brakes and wonder if going with wider rims would be a good thing.

I wonder the same. Perhaps oldpotatoe knows?

Ti Designs
05-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Across the hall, a box of rim samples like that just sold on ebay for 250 or thereabouts. Strange what people will spend money on.

I have a few sets of old campy tubular rims sitting in my basement, brand new, never laced. Most are Victory Strada, probably a few Chrono rims in there too. I raced on Record Chrono rims, I still have a few sets of those laced to Campy Nuovo Record hubs. Would someone please come by and take this stuff - I really don't want it!

oldpotatoe
05-08-2012, 07:26 AM

Later gen of Deltas(I use them) came with 2 spacers for the brake blocks and holder, narrow for 22mm rims and wider for 20mm rims. I use Campagnolo tubie rims, have about 6 spare ones but they are so reliable, I doubt I'll need them. I DID have 4 Mach 2CDs...but after pulling 2 eyelets out, gave up on them.